1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Will Norv be able to motivate?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,173
    I was watching the DVR the other day and say 'Great Comebacks'. The NFL films show on the Chargers come from behind wins in 06 against Cincinati and Denver.

In both games players said that at half time Marty came in and chewed the players a new one, and that the team responded to Marty.

Can Norv do this? Does someone have a ray of light to give me that I dont know about please?

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    Are we sure Marty did the motivating?

3. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    The way I heard it, Philip was marching the sideline just before the half during the Cincy game, hollerin' "They will need more than 28 points to beat us!"

Marty took us as far as he could. Norv will be just fine. Remember, AJ always has a contingency plan. That's why Rivera is on our staff.

4. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Too bad Marty didn't save that speach for the Playoffs.

5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I absolutely refuseta believe that Norv was brought inta motivate championship caliber playersta git'r'done.

Based on the talent-level of this club, if they need "motivating", the Chargers are in deep kim-chi.

jes sayin

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    but the men had the gleam.......didn't you see them gleaming? :icon_tease:

7. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Dude. Just look at my avatar!! :icon_tease:

8. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    If this team doesn't need a motivator, why was Mike Singletary thought of as a desirable head coaching candidate for his motivational skills?

Many of the people who said that, now say that quality isn't important any more. What changed? :icon_shrug:

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Ray of light ?

Dude you need mega BOLTS of :bolt2: :bolt2: :bolt2: to shock your asss into reality !!!

How many times did you see Bill Bellichick or whatever his name is for the head coach for the Patriots yell his asss offf to get players motivated ?

If the love of the game and especially the money does put the zoom in the broom, then those asssholes should not be on my field - ever. Fuc 'em.

Although, I absolutely hated Mike Rileys non-chalant attitude toward the game. That dude was an introverted assshole.

Fast forward to today and shotgunned-face can at least let the players know if they fuc up, they can be made to look like his grill. :icon_eek:

10. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    This guy would let you know if you fuc'd up!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    One of his weak points was motivation. He would have others give speeches to the team.

I don't really think we need a motivator when we have Rivers on offense and Merriman on defense possibly Godfrey if he comes back.

Maybe Rivera is a good motivator?

12. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Now this is the Trumpy we all know and love. :lol:

13. FilipinoRaider

FilipinoRaider BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9

Are you talking about Norvel? If so, that is fukked up?:lol: I remember when Norv was our coach and a Charger fan on another forum said that Norvs face looked like somebody put a fire out on it with a pitch fork.

14. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    Our players are already motivated. I'm not worried about it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    If our guys need any more motivation than their past playoff performances, then we have a BIG problem!

16. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760

They had toothpaste smeared all over:icon_shrug: :icon_huh: :icon_tease:

17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760

He always looked like that, I think his shoes were one size to small.:bolt2:

18. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,610
    QFT

I'm not worried about these guys getting proper motivation from the coach. If they can't motivate themslevesthen they have no business calling themselves professionals.

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,173
    It is indeed possible that the players are bold faced liars Ant. Way to look at it like a lawyer...

I feel soo much better with this argument...

20. VAN DE MAN CHARGER FAN

VAN DE MAN CHARGER FAN BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    even if he cant then im sure one of the players wil step up and do it. Merriman more than likely

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,173
    Sorry Toby, love ya, but this is as myopic as I have seen.

The same "championship caliber players" needed this motivation in the best statistical season the Chargers have ever had.

Now you want to say that because they had this season they now will not need the motivation? Motivation the players themselves said they got last year from the Head Coach, how is that exactly?

Everyone is giving their cute few sentance responces that makes me KNOW you all are searching for excuses. AJ this, Championship players that... Did Marty yell... Too bad he didnt do it in the playoffs...

Ball-less all. Address the topic at hand. This season, if the Chargers are down at half time. Will Norv Turner, Head Coach of the San Diego Chargers be able to motivate this group?

It is a simple question if you all stop dacin around it like a bunch of Kansas City Farries!

22. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Sorry everyone, but I don’t buy the premise that professional athletes are solely responsible for motivating themselves.

Every team, in every sport, needs leadership from the head coach (or manager), someone who can get the team to stay inspired and focused.

I will be the first to admit that we have good leadership and high character guys in the locker room. But we came out flat in more than a few games last year. And the players themselves credited Marty for his leadership in those comeback wins at Denver and Cincy. Why weren't they able to motivate themselves then?

I’ll say it again: Leadership and motivation sure as hell was an important quality when all of us were discussing the prospective coaching candidates. I don’t see how it became irrelevant after we hired Norv Turner.

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,173

Crock-O-**** alert!

I have to laugh at all of you who think this is true. Why do people like Tito Ortiz, LT, Ken Shamrock, Shawn Merriman all have trainers? People to MOTIVATE them, to keep them going?

Answer THEY ARE HUMAN! They get down, they get tired! Watch the "Great Combacks" film by NFL films. The 'championship caliber' players themselves said their head coach MOTIVATED THEM. LAST SEASON no less.

Now somehow they mystically do not need any motivation, how is that exactly? Last season they did need it, this season they dont... Was it the playoff loss that gave them this strong inner stregth to never be human? What is it exactly that allows some fans to now say we dont need such motivation?

Other than you taking the stance of an ostrich with its head in the sand of course...

24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,173
    That is quite possibly true, but doesnt give me any faith in the Head Coach that I was looking for.:no:

25. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Good post, Concudan.

From USA today's Charger page:

PLAYERS ACQUIRED: None.

PLAYERS LOST

—LB Donnie Edwards: UFA Chiefs; $13.5M/3 yrs, $7.5M SB.

—LB Steve Foley (released).

—WR Az-Zahir Hakim: UFA Dolphins; terms unknown.

—TE Ryan Krause: Not tendered as RFA/Browns; terms unknown.

—WR Keenan McCardell (released).

—TE Aaron Shea (released).

We haven't added any players from the outside, and we lost some valuable lockerroom guys like Godfrey and KMac.

And yet, this year the players don't need somebody to motivate them? What changed besides them being a year older and experiencing a playoff one-and-done?

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,173
    Robiskie is motivator Turner wasn't

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2000/1204/923793.html

ASHBURN, Va. -- There's an attitude adjustment under way at Redskins Park. The tactician's savvy of Norv Turner is out, and the motivational fire of Terry Robiskie is in.

The Washington Redskins fired Turner on Monday and replaced him with passing game coordinator Robiskie, a tough-love coach whose big TV moment this year was his face-to-face sideline yelling match with receiver Albert Connell during a game at Philadelphia.

Terry Robiskie seems to have the kind of fire Redskins players want to see.

"Norv did not threaten players," guard Keith Sims said. "Some guys took advantage of him. Terry -- you're not going to take advantage of him."

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,173
    http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/notebooks/20021020nflnot1020p4.asp

Who was sayin Bill Belichick did'nt motivate players?

28. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    amen brother, I'm sure marty did let them hear it, I doubt that an *** chewing translates to better physical performance especially from a pro. they liked marty of course they give him the credit, but if you watch the cinci and denver come from behind wins very carefully you will notice it was touchdowns and execution that got us the wins, not saliva in the eye.

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,173
    So suddenly the great coaches of the past whom were known as motivators are shams.. Shulla, Lombardi, etc... Their teams didnt need them because motivating the players isnt needed right?

We hear about coaches motivating players soo oftten only because it is a slow news day right? Motivating 'championshio caliber' players is a waste of time?

Do you guys really believe this or are you just being obtuse?

30. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    For myself, I'm being obtuse :icon_eek: :icon_rofl: :icon_tease:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.