1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Will Sproles stay longterm?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Nov 23, 2010.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    So we saw a spark from his past on monday night with that long TD pass on 3rd down. Do you think it'd be worth it to pay to keep him around as a 3rd down back? I personally think that what he is making this year is way too much for his role, but I would love it if the Bolts kept him long term. If they can work out something like 2 million a year or so for 3 or 4 more years, I'd be really happy. He is a great receiving weapon out of the backfield and as long as we take that Sproles draw play out of the playbook, he will get good chunks of yards when he touches the ball.. Except on kick returns, he isn't great at that anymore.
    Is he a good 3rd down back? Absolutely. At 5'6, he blocks 6'3 linebackers like they are nothing!! He blocks tremendously well and is excellent at picking up the blitz. He can do work in open space and is very quick with his cuts. I'd like to see him stick around for a few more years.
    What about you?

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    If the price is right, sure. I don't want to see him returning kicks any more though. We need someone faster.

3. snojerk619

snojerk619 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I completely agree with you, I think we need to get him off special teams. He seems very timid when returning kick offs, Maybe put TuTu in there?

4. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Or Brinkley!

5. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    That's the only good thing Sproles has done this season was the TD against Denver. Punt returns and Kickoff returns are just average. But it's safe to say he's our guy for the rest of 2010. He will test the FA market, some team will offer him something that AJ won't pay. Wait and see. Possibly the Gay Pats, or Indy.

6. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Thats good. If either really offerbhim tje 7 mill a year he wants they can have him. Im sure we can find a cj spiller type to replace him.

7. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Sproles is only good when he is passed to in space. He has lost his return and rushing abilities.

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    and take Keading with you!!!

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Sign and then trade Sproles for BEEF.

10. gsxr

gsxr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Sproles is gone. He is effective in open space but punt and kickoff teams he just seems to run into the coverage. As long as he's in the flats he can be a good reciever. That tells me we need to move on. As much as I have liked the guy's performance in the past he just seems to be acting like LT did. I don't see any fire or excitement.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    For 3 to 4 Mil per year sure. Any more than that is not good ROI.

So that being said he is gone.

12. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Crayton was extremely successfull with kick and punt returns, I have no idea why we haven't been using him. Sproles isn't actually that timid, the problem is he's too agressive, he runs full speed ahead into the pile and gets knocked off balance easily.

BTW I'm shocked and happy that Sproles has turned it around, he seems to have that spring back in his step.

13. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Sproles has not turned it around. They gave him one pass with space. He still has not returned a kick well or rushed for anything productive.

14. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Gotta agree with this Sproles still has yet to even net half of his 2010 salary worth. I was ready for him to be gone in a draft day or sooner trade and we get RM/Gerhart well I didnt want RM at the time but basicaly pick up 2 backs a big and a little and sproles gone as fast as LT and we got running by commitee and hopefuly good production.

Great play for Sproles it really showed off his burst, bout the only thing other than his amazing ability to cut block tall rushers that he has left. NOTE: Sproles came to the team with a ankle injury out of college. He is not Tank durable as his birth given nickname.

15. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    As others have already mentioned, Sproles has had ONE big play this year. That's it, and it wasn't on special teams. He is done. We need someone better.

16. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Sproles is probably most useful on a screen pass where he can use speed and manuverability to his advantage. As a traditional running back his size works against him but he can pick up a blitz. I'm having trouble remembering the last time he broke a huge run on a return, let alone took one to the house. We need someone faster on the returns. Bottom line, he is a good complimentary player but not worth $7 million a year. Someone will probably overpay for him in the off-season.

17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Give the lil feller a break, it's been a tough year on him with Tomlinson gone.

18. SDChargers1982

SDChargers1982 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +14
    This year he gets a lot of money...I would be very happy if he get a pay cut and stay in San Diego in gratitude, love and commitment to the tema.

I know that I'm being a bit naive but never hurts to dream...

19. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Nope. Time to move on unless he is willing to come back for fair money. He has already made out like a bandit what with the franchise tag. We need a speedster on kick returns now. Sproles offers nothing there no more.

20. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Hey now, Sproles is the new edition of Little Train James or Brooks depending on how you look at it. I'd like to see him stay at a lesser amount as he can be a weapon out of the backfield, he sure as hell ain't gonna push no piles.

21. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    What I'm saying is he doesn't look as slow as he did. He had a nice run in the Texans game too, that makes me think he has his legs back.

Overpaid? Hell yes. But I'm not the one writing his check, so I'm willing to overlook that if he can help us win games going forward.

22. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    His lack of returns is what is glaring. I hope we don't keep him a year too long like Tomlinson and Merriman. Norv just needs to use him properly in the screen game.

23. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Well thats why I said Crayton should be doing returns. He's been very successfull at it.

24. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Word. :thumbup:

25. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Crayton is out, so we are stuck with Sproles.

26. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Sproles is gun shy. He's been hit hard to many times. Time to get someone else in there.

27. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +275
    Sproles hasn't shown me enough the last two years to keep him around for anything close to big $$$. He's our #3 RB and a "just average" punt and kick returner. Paying him all those millions... it's crazy. He needs to really step it up to make the team next year IMHO.

28. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I gotta disagree on this. To me it looks more like Sproles is Sucidal on returns. I would bet 80% or more of his returns he was met by a wall of defenders before he could even attempt a cut.

If anything he is looking to always go through someone on a return.

Hes a great guy and I hope he can catch on somewhere and play for the 3-4 good years he should have left. We can find another return ace in the draft that also can double as a O or D player. Maybe even another RB. If we keep the WRs we got, we surely dont need another to return, but Crayton will be healthy by that time and if he is GREAT at returning kicks still he can work for the time being and we can look at a Return Demon in 2012 draft.

Good Luck TANK.

29. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Also Sproles and Legs are up for contract extensions. We could almost sign both with the $ we would save from releasing DSs contract. Also if i remember right Siler is up too, and I want to keep him around so hes another player in more need of being paid for their useful services.

30. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Weddle
    Siler
    Burnett
    Cooper
    Naanee
    Floyd
    V. Jackson
    Oliver
    Clary
    Volek
    Sproles

All on their final year. Not to mention Merriman (3.2 mil), and Buster (2+ mil) are coming off the books.

Some big names there, no doubt our team will look a little different next year.