1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Will the Bolts Draft a LB ?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RMANCIL, Dec 23, 2006.

1. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    It seems that a lot of draft boards seem to think the Bolts need a WR instead of a LB for the Chargers. Several scouts think that the Chargers may in fact have the best or at least one of the best LB groups in the N.F.L.

So lets look at them and see if that is in fact the case or Houston do we have a problem?

ESPN

RESERVES

C. Polk , M. Wilhelm , S. Cooper , T. Dobbins , M. Harris

First ILB

Randall Godfrey 13 GS 57 TK 4 SK 11 YR Vet who is pushing for the Super Bowl. Godfrey is playing some of his best football in several seasons. He is fighting off a hamstring problem and is splitting a lot of his playing time with Cooper. If the Chargers win the Super Bowl there is a very good chance that he retires. If they don't maybe he straps up for another season but if he does look for his playing time to diminish as Cooper and Dobbins will get more playing time and bring more speed.

Donnie Edwards 14 GS 123 TK 2 SK 3 INT 11 YR VET Who is pushing for more money. He and Smith had a war of words before TC and Smith tried to trade him to the Saints who failed to meet Smith trade demands with in his time dead line other wise Edwards would not have been on the Chargers this season. He will not be back as Smith will not pay him the money he thinks he is worth and nobody who's last name isn't Schottenheimer locks horns with Smith and survives.

Edwards plays the cover ILB in the Charger 3-4 which requires speed as well as intelligence to properly read the offense and to quickly diagnose a play.
    He was held out of TC while his back injury was allowed to rest. ( trade talks were going on. ) While that happened Wilhelm ran with the 1st team, (14 GP 25 TK) but he has not played nearly as much as Edwards who Schottenhiemer prefers.

Wilhelm is under a one year contact and it has been rumored that he wants to play in Cleveland Ohio . He was born in Oberlin, OH and he went to school at Ohio State so there maybe substance to that , the Chargers tendered Matt Wilhelm with the lowest one-year tender this past off year.

Cooper has also filled in at times for Edwards but his foot speed is lacking at the position. Harris is faster but he has not worked at the position in TC nor has he seen any real game action at Edwards spot to my knowledge.

Polk isn't fast enough for the position imop.

So there you have it , we have Wilhelm on a one year contract playing for the league minimum who may prefer to be some where else tell me would you draft a cover ILB? I would.

2. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +347
    I have said it before and I will say it again, we very well might take Buster Davis ILB (FSU) in the first round of the draft!

3. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chargers ink Wilhelm to five-year contract extension

The San Diego Chargers have signed inside linebacker Matt Wilhelm to a five-year contract extension that runs through the 2011 season. Wilhelm was due to become an Unrestricted Free Agent upon the expiration of his current contract after this season. No other terms of the new contract were announced.

“Matt is one of this team’s rising young defensive players,” said General Manager A.J. Smith. “He has played solid football when called upon at the inside ‘backer position and has been very productive as a special teams player. We are pleased that we will have Matt with us for years to come.”

Wilhelm, 6-4, 245, is in his fourth season with the Chargers after being drafted in the fourth round in 2003 out of Ohio State. He has played 39 NFL games, including all 30 games in 2005-06. Wilhelm has made key contributions on both defense and special teams. This season he ranks among the team leaders with 13 special teams tackles and also has 14 tackles on defense.

“I’m just glad we were able to get this done now,” Wilhelm said. “I wanted to be here and the organization wanted me to be here. I know the defense and now that I’ve been in Wade Phillips’ system for three years, I can go out there and do my job to the best of my ability. I’m still just 25 years old and would love to play my entire career in San Diego. I love being a part of this team. I didn’t want to go anywhere else because I love playing with the group of guys we have here.”

That just dropped ILB a notch , will the Bolts still draft a ILB ?

I think so but will he need to be a 1st round I can play today guy ?

No not now if some player that Smith sees as being a great value is on the board he would take him but Safety and WR just moved up the draft board.

4. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +347
    Good post, you are absolutely correct, however WR is simply something we will not make the mistake of doing in the first! We got Keenan through FA I would look for us to go there again for a wideout!

5. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    This mock seems to agree with you. Personally I just like where they have us picking.

http://www.draftking.com/nfl/2007/mockdraft.shtml

6. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Dielman contract talks now move to the forefront and we will need to get a deal in place or OG will become the focus for 2007 draft.

Other wise look for a OG after the second round.

7. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Explain why we need a WR??

#87 Keenan McCardell | WR

Experience: 15th NFL Season

Hakim, Az-Zahir WR 5-10 189 San Diego State 8 yr 06/03/77
    just signed as a f.a.

82 Camarillo, Greg WR 6-1 190 Stanford 2 yr 04/18/82

Parker, Eric WR 6-0 180 Tennessee 5 04/14/79

Age , McCardell presence has been major in this offense. When he is out it effects the passing game big time. He has been playing for 15 yrs now just how long can he go ?

Hakim was cut by the Lions that run a offense that he once flourished in with his speed. Fact is speed wr who lose their speed get cut if they don't become real good route runners. This is his 8 th season.

Camarillo runs nice routes but he has to make this list as he is the low man other wise on the roster and in the N.F.L. teams are always looking to improve the roster.

Parker has always had a injury history he has played more and more each season but he missed a lot of the last Denver contest and he needs relief from the punt return duties.

Finally opportunity which for any team is very important , this draft is loaded with wr who in many cases take a about three seasons to learn the N.F.L. ropes. Floyd is looking good but he is on IR. Jackson is improving and next season will be his third.

If the Bolts highest player on the draft board when they select is a wr or if the wr is tied with another position other than Safety and knowing that McCardell who has missed playing time each of the past two seasons is nearing the end I think they would pull the trigger.

Dielman contract talks now move to the forefront and we will need to get a deal in place or OG will become the focus for 2007 draft. Other wise look for a OG after the second round.

8. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    The more I look the more I like this is a very good draft for LB at lot of kids with speed. We won't have a problem finding real good talent from the 2nd round all the way down to the 4th and most likely some little known schools will have a kid or two poping up as F.A. or 6th round picks.Kipers list

1. Patrick Willis, Mississippi
    2. Buster Davis, Florida State
    3. David Harris, Michigan
    4. Zach Diles, Kansas State
    5. Zak DeOssie, Brown
    5a. Justin Warren, Texas A&M

1. Paul Posluszny, Penn State
    2. Michael Okwo, Stanford
    3. Earl Everett, Florida
    4. Stewart Bradley, Nebraska
    5. David Holloway, Maryland
    5a. Juwan Simpson, Alabama

1. Jonathan Goff, Vanderbilt
    2. Jasper Brinkley, South Carolina
    3. Vince Hall, Virginia Tech
    4. Brandon Siler, Florida
    5. Rory Johnson, Mississippi
    5a. Nelson Coleman, Tulsa
    5b. J Leman, Illinois

. Lawrence Timmons, Florida State
    2. Dan Connor, Penn State
    3. Ali Highsmith, LSU
    4. Shawn Crable, Michigan
    5. Robert Killebrew, Texas
    5a. Keith Rivers, USC

Add in
    Aaron Rouse, Virginia Tech , Xavier Adibi and that is some selection.

9. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Here are the top candidates at inside LB for the Chargers , this guys have to be able to run in order to play cover ILB.

[​IMG] Brandon Siler has size and speed and he is always around the ball.

[​IMG]
    Earl Everett just may be one of the two fastest LB in the draft. He can run with WR and gets super drops in pass coverage.

[​IMG]
    Woodley is not a canidate for cover ILB but he could play both RunILB or OLB in the 3-4 defense and his size , speed , strenth puts him in a elite area in my opinion clearly a case of B.A. on the board and he fits a need position.

[​IMG]PaulPosluszny- I did not like him to much when I saw him early this season but after watching him in his bowl game I am a fan of his. Very smart player with very good speed. He beaks on the ball and mantains gap control very well.

10. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    [​IMG] Joe Stellmacher Height: 6'1" Weight: 218 is a kid who should get drafted late or sign as a F.A. while he lacks in big speed he has enough to move to ILB if he puts on the feed bucket and man does he hit.

His WR hate him from Wisconsin and towards the end of his last game with the Razorbacks they were happy to see him leave the field as well.

UW football: Stellmacher a coach inside the sidelines
    By Jim Polzin
    You can almost picture him now in his tan pants and red windbreaker, headset resting on his cap, gripping a play sheet in one hand while he barks out directions to his charges.

Coach Joe Stellmacher, anyone?

"I'll hire him," University of Wisconsin football coach Bret Bielema said of Stellmacher, a fifth-year senior safety who will serve as a captain for the Badgers in Saturday's home opener against Western Illinois at Camp Randall Stadium.

"He just knows and understands the game of football. I like the way he goes about his business."

For a guy who's had "coach's kid" or "coach on the field" attached to his name throughout his playing career at the UW, landing a job in coaching post-graduation would only make sense for Stellmacher.

"I think he can do anything he wants to," said Steve Stellmacher, Joe's father. "He's an intelligent young man. He's hard-working and has good work ethic. He could definitely coach, without a doubt."

Steve Stellmacher has known that for years. He could see it when Joe, as a 5-year-old, would watch sporting events intently and ask questions. With Steve serving as the head football coach at Berlin High School, Joe went from water boy to ball boy to eventually playing for his father.

"I've been around the game a long, long time," Joe Stellmacher said. "So I know the ins and outs of the game and what's going on."

Kerry Cooks found that out in a hurry. All it took was a few minutes of talking to Stellmacher for Cooks, who was hired as the UW's secondary coach in January, to realize his starting strong safety was a coach on the field.

"His football intellect is just a cut above the rest," Cooks said. "I could tell 'Stell' was a coach's son right away."

Statistics don't even begin to define Stellmacher's value to the defense, although as a junior last season he was second on the team with 90 tackles and had two interceptions.

Stellmacher's teammates rave about his ability not only to be lined up correctly himself, but to make sure others are in the right position as well.

"He's just an all-around smart kid," junior defensive back Ben Strickland said. "He just has a nose for the football and makes the most of every play out there.

"To me, he's the quarterback of our defense along with (senior linebacker Mark) Zalewski. He's always the guy who knows where everybody's supposed to be, what the coverages are and the checks, and he's always the guy that makes sure everyone's in the right place at the right time.

"He has this thing about him where he's able to focus every play on what his job is and helping the guys around him."

Stellmacher credits his success to being prepared, which is the result of the hours he spends watching film. Admittedly not the most athletic player on the field - Stellmacher runs the 40-yard dash in 4.6 seconds - he makes up for it by anticipating plays and putting himself in the correct position. As a result, Stellmacher plays faster than he is.

"There's 4.3 guys that play 4.9 and there's 4.6 guys that play 4.4," he said. "Just knowing what you're doing and being able to anticipate, the numbers don't always matter.

"It's instincts, it's a lot of film study. Knowing what you're doing and being able to anticipate is so crucial. If I know what's coming before it happens, I'm able to get there before the other guy and make up for that."

Stellmacher reminds Cooks of the type of players he helped coach while serving as a graduate assistant at Kansas State in 2003, when the Wildcats went 11-4 and won a Big 12 Conference title.

"If I had 100 Stellmachers, I'd be great," Cooks said. "People think Kansas State had the greatest athletes. We didn't have great athletes, we had smart kids. A lot of other teams with the great athletes who can't think and aren't intelligent enough to do the things that the coaches are trying to get them to do, they get you beat.

"You can win with Joe Stellmachers, all day and everyday."

Stellmacher's legacy at the UW will be arriving as a walk-on with no guarantees and leaving as someone who worked his way from a special teams performer to a reliable starter. It's the same path taken by two former UW safeties he admits to idolizing, Jim Leonhard and Jason Doering.

Last season, UW coaches selected Stellmacher for the Tom Wiesner Award, given to a Wisconsin-born player for loyalty, hard work, spirit and dedication.

"He just embodies everything that we ask," Bielema said, "and there's not a better competitor on the team."

There also may not be too many players on the team who are as well-liked as Stellmacher. His teammates like him because you can joke with him one minute and go to him for his advice on a serious issue the next.

"He's just a really good guy," UW linebacker Jonathan Casillas said.

cont..

11. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382
    I like Jonathan Goff a lot. Not sure if he will declare.

12. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Another Goff, that is funny. I am sure he is good but it is still funny.

Can anyone tell me about Patrick Willis from Mississippi?

WR should be a 3rd round and below and FA issue. It clearly is a need in my opinion but all discussions about using a 1st or a 2nd on it should just stop. It is silliness.

Nose tackle, safety, and ILB are our key areas of need in my opinion. Plus a fifth or sixth round fullback for grins.

13. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382
    Silliness is thinking that MTL truly believes AJ will draft according to need over value.

14. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    I think we will draft a linebacker, because Donnie is likely gone. Resigning Wilhelm doesn't mean that we don't have an extra LB spot after Donnie leaves. I'm just not sure how high we draft a linebacker. If the Chargers brass believe that Wilhelm is the answer, which apparently they do from his resigning, then I expect we draft a linebacker in the mid rounds, unless Godfrey leaves as well. Just keep in mind that we did also resign Cooper who is being groomed for Godfrey's spot. I think Dobbins will be the eventual backup, similar to Cooper's role on the current Chargers roster.