1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Will the Chargers use the Wildcat formation this season

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006
    July 2, 2009 12:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

San Diego fans are very opinionated about the possibility of the Chargers using the Wildcat formation this season. The team practiced it during its final OTA day in June.

Coach Norv Turner said it was mostly to give the San Diego defense a taste of it. Still, it's always possible the Chargers use it some if they are practicing.

The sound-off question was if you want the team to use it. Most fans would like to see it used somewhat, while others don't think it's necessary.

My opinion is that San Diego might want to practice it somewhat. It wouldn't hurt if the Chargers used LaDainian Tomlinson at quarterback in the formation on occasion. He would be able to pull it off. I don't think the Chargers need to use it often, just once in a while as a change of pace.

This is a varied offense and if the Wildcat could be another option, why not? Here are some of your responses. Thanks to all of those who participated:

What do you guys think :icon_shrug:
  2. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Sep 8, 2006
    I kinda hope not. I don't see any reason to take the ball out of PR's hands.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2006
    I'm undecided on using it but I don't see this as a valid reason against it.

It's not as though they'd be using the formation every down.

Sure, it does take it out of his hands, but just for that play.

If the fact that Rivers isn't handling the ball is a valid enough reason to never use the Wildcat formation, we are forced to accept it as a valid reason to never run a run play.
  4. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2006
    It might be used to bring back LT throwing to Gates for TD's