1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Will the NFL go International?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Scout200, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Scout200

Scout200 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    There's been a lot of talk about the NFL going international... Do you think the NFL will give up home games in order to reach out to a larger base? How do you think this will impact the NFL?

2. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Is there even going to be an NFL?

There seems to be a lockout headed towards them next season. 18 games seems to be a stumbling block, going International, I am positive the players will want a huge chunk of that "FREE" Money!

3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    U mean start a franchise overseas?. Imho no chance unless it is Canada or maybe Mexico. Us in Europe can forget it. The travelling would be too much. If you are talking about playing existing regular season games overseas they are already doing that. In fact rumour is there will be 2 in Europe next year.

4. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    I follow you totally DB no team overseas. But the NFL can book some great stadiums around the world to have more than the Wembley Game in one season. There are a lot of potential shopping fans out there.

5. gsxr

gsxr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    NFL europe was a dismal failure. Playing a game over there now and then seems to be OK but having a franchise in say France would be too much of a drain on the players. I think as is Thursday games tend to be too early for teams to recouperate from Sunday matchups. If the NFL network wants to have it on their network then forget getting to see it anyway.

6. Lightning

Lightning Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    With there being a regular season Canadian game this year I think the NFL is definitely looking at a north of the border frachise or two like the other sports leagues have done.

7. Scout200

Scout200 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm kinda split on the idea.

As you know, there are only 16 games during a 17 week season. Typically, a team plays 2 home games in the pre-season, and 8 home games in the regular season. It's nothing like the NBA where 82 games are played by each team and half of those are home games. Taking away one home game from fans is a big deal. Yet, many believe that giving the brand an international presence will actually help provide a better experience for the fans and help local economies in the long run.

8. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    In my mind it is absolutely an inevitability. We are going to see more and more single games played in different countries. And it has little to do with fan experience or local economies, it's all about billions of dollars in potential revenue. Americans (and American broadcasting companies) throw gobs of money at the NFL. If the NFL can sell itself in Europe (or elsewhere) to a fraction of the degree it has here in the states, then profitability demands expansion.

9. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Agree it is already on the fast track.

10. NJS

NJS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Alright so, as someone pretty new to the NFL, and from the outside, I will say this.

Yes, the first toes in the water from the NFL got me hooked, and no doubt countless others like me. And I'm thankful for that. But even with that in mind on a somewhat selfish level, I don't like the idea of the NFL having a team abroad, playing too many games in other countries, or whatever. It just doesn't sit well. I used to follow soccer here in the UK before I got tired of the continuing desire from the governing bodies to expand and globalize, with plans to introduce new Super Leagues for only the richest and most famous clubs, etc.

I enjoy the fact that your sport (and yes, it is your sport, USA) is pretty much a minority sport in my country. Is that wrong? Maybe. Do I care? Not at all, it's just the way I enjoy it. I don't have it crammed down my eyes and mouth every time I switch on the TV, put on the computer, read a newspaper, etc. In fact the only newspaper coverage that football gets in the UK is when the International Series rolls into town, or the day after the Super Bowl. I like it that way. All the information I want is there, and not by some two-bit British reporter that doesn't give a crap about the sport. I get my NFL news from America, I feel I enjoy it more that way.

What I'm trying to get at here is that football is still very much American, it is still very much exclusive in some ways, in regards to the rules, the infrastructure, etc, that a lot of people outside the US just "don't get". But for many of us watching outside, it's part of the reason we love it - it's different, it's bold, brash and constantly intriguing. By globalizing itself the NFL and football as a whole will lose that sense of obscurity, and, perhaps, part of it's charm. I'm not sure how you guys in the States would see that, because you know and love the sport from when you are young, you are brought up with it, like we are with soccer in the UK, so maybe you just go along with the continued expansion, like we did. So I find it very believable that the rule makers and the marketers and the promoters and the owners could quickly lose sight of what is a very distinctly American sport, and in so, lose sight of it's identity. That isn't the way business works though, and I know that.

If the NFL wants a London franchise, so be it, nobody can stop it happening, but I will never, ever support them, because it is not our sport, it is not our cultural identity, and a startup team would be nothing but a series of glorified IS games. There is no grass roots football being played in this country, there are barely even amateur leagues which constantly teeter on the brink of oblivion. By building the sport up from the bottom then, and only then, can the rest of the world really experience football, but you know that these people aren't interested in that, they're interested in tickets, in merchandise, and in big TV deals.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The NFL will not expand a team into Europe. However, the NFL does want your money to watch the games on your PDA's, computers, TV's etc etc which brings in mo money mo money. Having NFL teams play in Europe just greases the marketing wheels.