1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Will the San Diego Chargers sign more stars to extensions this year?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By John (obviousman) Aug 25, 2009

Philip Rivers, probably the most important piece on a team that wants long-term success, is signed. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, he will be the Chargers starting quarterback at least through 2015. This is fantastic news, but it's starting up something that's rubbing me the wrong way. Chargers fans and other sports writers want more.

The team has signed Rivers. "Who's next to sign?" Nobody. Not without something changing. Let me explain.

Everything we've heard about the NFL's Collective Bargaining Agreement is that the two sides are quite far apart and there is a very good chance that 2010 will be an uncapped year. Let's take a look at the Chargers free agents after 2009 if there is not a new CBA in place:

That's it. That's the entire list. If there's no new CBA in place before the 2010 free agency season begins, these are the only unrestricted free agents that the team could lose without getting any sort of compensation.

I feel that writing about the team every day has led me to create a psychological profile on A.J. Smith. In brief, A.J. always maintains the upper hand and never looks back with regret. He will not be fooled or pushed into overpaying. He will not pay a player top dollar if he feels that the backup is nearly as good (and significantly cheaper). While certain people may get rubbed the wrong way by him sometimes, this is the person you want running your franchise for long-term stability and success.

Want to know why Rivers didn't get signed until now? Because if he had been signed, and then Eli Manning signed for a significantly smaller dollar amount, there would've been egg of Smith's face. He'd rather take the patient approach and wait it out. Once Manning's deal was done, an offer was made. It wasn't necessarily a low-ball offer, it was low-to-fair and below what Manning was going to get paid. Rivers, who doesn't seem to care about the money all that much, was more than happy to sign the fair deal. Patience saved the Chargers money.

Here's a list of Chargers players that will become unrestricted free agents if there is a new CBA in place:

To put it in simpler terms, with a CBA in place Merriman, Jackson, Sproles and McNeill are all in line for huge raises. Without it, they're each spending at least one more year at a salary comparable to a rookie's. Do you really think A.J. Smith would start handing out contracts to these guys, knowing that there's a possibility that he will be drastically overpaying them? Not a chance.

Smith will be patient. If a new CBA is worked out, that's when negotiations will start. If one isn't, he'll start offering RFA tenders and thinking about what to do with all of the money being saved and/or draft picks that will be coming in. Rivers was set to be in that first group, a free agent either way, if he wasn't signed. That's why he got his deal done. I wouldn't expect any more until a new CBA is agreed upon, which may not be for years.

• Like Like x 1
  2. StocktonBoltFan

StocktonBoltFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    River's deal didn't get done before eli's because his agent wouldn't talk with the team until they had some sort of benchmark to work off of, not because Smith wouldn't want to have egg on his face.

3. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    This is a good read, but it is only presenting one side of the coin. AJ could have made a deal with Phil before Eli and if Eli got way more, then Phil and his agent would have egg on their face. I'm not saying that AJ played it wrong, just that he took a conservative approach. He could have been agressive and come out looking great if the deal he reached was closer to Big Ben money than Eli money. I'm fine with how he did it, just worth mentioning a different good outcome.

Same goes for any contract he might work out today with, lets say, McNeil. Since McNeil also knows there is very little chance of a CBA by next year then maybe he would sign a reduced contract. Then if a CBA is signed then we got a good deal.

Many factors go into this choice, including how likely the CBA is, injury possibilities, agents, etc. But there are those possibilities out there.

I tend to agree that we should not expect to see any more signings this season. MAYBE one more and the best shot would be McNeil, but if I were to bet I would say no.

Thanks for the read.

4. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    QFT

5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Yep good read and if it is all 100% true (except the reason Rivers deal did not get done until after Eli's - that bit is BS imho) then v v interesting. I was sure we'd be hearing about McNeill getting locked up soon and now....................

According to this guy there is no way this will happen for 2 reasons (1) it does not have to happen ala Rivers and (2) the Chargers save money by delaying.

I'm not sure about this. What if McNeill has a Pro Bowl year and looks like Walter Jones?. What then?, does this not mean it will actually cost us MORE to sign him after a season like that?....

Plenty to ponder but thanks for posting the article!!.

:tup:

6. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    AJ has proved with the Rivers signing that all of us worried, wingeing fans should just STFU and enjoy his team!

Notwithstanding the interesting points above, the 4 guys we would all like to see sign each have a question mark over them - whether it's returning from injury, questionable attitude, aspirations of a bigger role or fondness of a wee swally.
    All are possible reasons for these players not to be Bolts long term.

He is the poker maestro.

Why do we mere mortals have moments of doubt?

7. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    U got me Gary.............. wot's a wee swally?.

I'm guessing in order u are referring to McNeill, Merriman, Sproles and Cro?.

So methinks 'wee swally' has something to do with enjoying time with the fairer sex eh?.

8. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703

[​IMG]

Don't Piss Me Off !!!

9. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    Sorry DB, a "wee swally" is Scottish for enjoying one or two alcoholic beverages.
    Something many of us have in common with one of our premier WR's!!