1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Will winning a Super Bowl increase stadium chances?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Jun 2, 2009.

1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I was looking at what Saints fans have to say about them having their team for another 25 years. Most feel that the team they now have with kept the Saints in New Orleans. Some also feel that drafting Bush (regardless of how productive his career really turns out) is a big reason.

In a messed up kind of way, I thought Katrina had a big part to do with that. NFL doesn't want to seem heartless. Though at the same time, had the Saints had another 4 or 5 win season when they returned to the Super Dome, that might have changed things.

Over here, it has seemed like politicians have been more interested in keeping the Chargers here and I'm sure their rise in popularity is what it's ALL about. I mean Sanders has lifted a finger. Murphy had lead fingers on this subject.
    If we win the Super Bowl, I think the bigger question will be "how much longer with the Spanos family be willing to wait?" Yes, the politicians will feel some pressure and push harder but they're going to need some time. Instead of 2011, they'll have to wait for at least another 2 years.

IMO, a Super Bowl victory will fix it ALL!!! :bolt:

2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    Normally, I'd agree with you 100%. However...given the state of the city's finances, I doubt our bolts winning it all will change that or city hall's position. The local economy would really have to improve as well.

Will it help in getting one built in Chula Vista? There's a big waiting game with the power plant site. IIRC, that goes hand in hand with the fate of the Sunrise Powerlink. So, if the Powerlink gets dragged out further, the same thing happens with the power plant.

Then there's this new idea of putting the stadium downtown. I really don't know much about that. Maybe winning an SB has the most impact here?

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Nothing is guaranteed. It's just opinion. Like I said "how long with the Chargers be willing to wait?"

I like the Downtown idea best of all. Imagine the "Game Day Experience?" Close off all traffic in the Gaslamp Quarter like they used to do for Street Sceen. Even those that don't have tickets will go there to party and watch the game at bars and clubs. Hell... have a beer garden with big screens.
    Having the Convention Center right there will make an awesome Super Bowl experience!!!

Smartest plan IMO since Comic Con will be moving to Vegas.

4. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    well with Norv being our coach why even talk about it...

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Cause we have the players to make it happen.
    With you being a Raiders fan that currently jumped on the Chargers bandwagon, why you care? :bananafinger:

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Oh, the irony...

7. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    :popcorn:

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Notice:
    The last thread was strictly about Norv. There for, I added my opinion about Norv because I'm allowed to!!!

This thread has nothing to do with Norv. I can't speak for everybody in this forum but I am not interested in Norv becoming a permanent resident of San Diego. I'm not interesting in having a new stadium built so Norv can have a home in San Diego.
    I want a new stadium built in San Diego so the Chargers will have a home in San Diego!!!

I encourage the rest of you to go start a "Keep Norv in San Diego" forum and maybe you can find others to make doughnations to building Norv a house in San Diego.
    Hell... Maybe you could get a "Norv Turner Golf Course" built in San Diego. That way, there's not need for you to cheer for the Chargers anymore. You can give up your season ticket to a real Chargers fans, and go cheer on Norv at the golf course!!!

Even better... Norv will have 100% credit for any win!!!
    You're boat is floating. Good luck with the process!!!

9. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Dude, I give you props for starting a discussion that didn't include a Norv bashing. But you don't have to take the bait every time someone throws it out there.

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    It's just a suggestion and a very good one.
    That way, all real Chargers fans are happy and all Norvys are happy. It's a win/win situation!!! :yes:

11. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    fukker. :lol:

12. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,423
    The Padres got PetCo shortly after making the World Series, so I'd say yes.

13. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    I don't want to turn this into another thread about Norv. But I want to make sure you realize that just because people don't hate Norv with the same fervor that you do, that doesn't mean we unconditionally love him.

You seem to think that it's all black and white. People hate Norv as much as you do, or they are "Norvys." I think that by and large most Charger fans didn't have Norv as their first choice, probably not their top 10. But he is here, he is our coach, and all the "real Charger fans" want the team to succeed. Even if he isn't our favorite coach ever, he IS the coach of the Chargers, and some of us will defend him if someone is making statements that aren't accurate or fair.

• Like Like x 4
  14. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,423
    That about sums it up for me.

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Thanks for trying, SL. :tup:

I think you made a very fair assessment of where most of us are with Norv. :icon_toast:

16. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    If it takes winning a Lombardi to get the Bolt's new digs, then screw the City of Dego.

As far as Norv goes we're stuck with him until he win's a SB gets fired or resigns. I'm hoping for the Lambardi.

17. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Superbowl or bust.

This team is amounting to be a waste of skill imo. ***** and moan about Norv but the fact of the matter is that when it comes down to it; the coach is no more than a cornerman where the players are the actual fighters. No matter what he tells them they have to go out there and execute and dominate; anything less and we are in the same damn championshipless state as always.

Bolts are out of excuses it's all or nothing this year; we have to beat the stupid patsies or steelers or they will have the damn hardware again. If we make it the media attention and pressure on the local gov will do wonders in getting the ball rolling on a new stadium. This team needs the marketing and advertising dollars that come with making it to the big game or its over, so ****ing over.

18. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979

Very well said, an extreemly rep worthy post. Given the clarity of this message everyone should be able to get back to B4L's initial topic...

19. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Exactly.

With that IMO its going to be a real hard fight right now. There are countless people without jobs right now, I dont think one bit that they care about the Chargers getting a new stadium, for them its about putting food on that table and a roof over the head.

20. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yes. I think the city missed the brass ring when they rejected the initial proposals for the Chargers to build it. The boat may have already sailed, hit an iceburg, and dropped to the bottom to become a home for wayward crabs...:unsure:

21. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    We all saw how the Padres run in 1998 energized the city and helped get Petco built. So there's a chance, but I also hear what others are saying, and it may indeed be a hard sell right now regardless.

22. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Y'all have a fawked up political group out there. Light some damn fires and get some folks on the hot seat.

23. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Agreed!

Hope is not lost guys things have actually begun to look up! But it WILL take a concerted effort from the fans in San Diego to help get something done. If you really want to keep the Bolts in San Diego - get involved any way you can, even the little things make a big difference. :yes:

The Chargers are still interested in financing the project themselves, no public funding necessary. The #1 issue right now is a location and land for developments to fund it. But it can be done, we're coming out of the recession now you will definitely see a difference in 2010 - the time to get started is now :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  24. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I don't either but there are some people who do feel that way about Norv. No it's not black and white but I'm not going to say "I like him" just to make somebody happy.
    Remember "so easy, a caveman can do it?" Well what's the excuse? Now he's going into his third season with an awesome team. This better be the season!!! :bolt:

25. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Hope is not lost unless we see moving trucks coming into Qualcomm Stadium unannounced.

26. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Instead of expansion, they should of just dropped it and rebuilt Qualcomm Years ago.

They Pimped out a Pinto when they kept expanding that Stadium.

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I think that we're beyond the "who gives a phuc about your feelings for Norv". I know that I am. He's here, I'm supporting him. Plenty of "cavemen" have had talented teams but missed out on championships.

The economy is going to have to pick up drastically before there will be any real chance of a new stadium. Either that or the Spanos' family opens up their pocketbook up in a large way to both buy land AND build the stadium.

28. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    :lol: :lol: I don't expect anybody to care about my opinion. You're weird!!

Though if you'll be happy being on the caveman list, I think you'll be alone. Then again, maybe not.
    Hug your self made AFCC Attendee title til you're blue in the face!!!

29. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Charger Blue!!!! :bolt:

:abq1: :abq2: :abq1:

30. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    The thing the helped the padres is that the timing of the WS appearance and the referendum to build the stadium happened in sync.

The Chargers spent years banging heads with the collection of fuking morons in the city gov't and the current ones don't seem much brighter. There are also, I think, some of the same idiots on the city council like the nut who wanted to turn the murph site into another Central Park.

Not sure if even a SB will will change the political climate. The big issue now is the money and where will it come from. Last I heard, the NFL stadium financing money has dried up. SD govt is broke.

Maybe that developer who floated the latest MV proposal will make it fly, but based on the chargers response it does not look good.