1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Williams feeling good as playoffs begin

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers.com

As the Chargers prepare for a rushing offense that finished fifth in the NFL this season, they’re fortunate to be doing so with a happy and healthy Jamal Williams.

“I feel good,” Williams said Wednesday. “I wouldn’t miss this one.”

The three-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle missed the last two weeks with a hip pointer injury, which Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner believes may have been caused by him favoring one leg while healing from an ankle injury.

Williams probably could have played against Oakland but the Chargers decided to give him another week to prepare for the opening week of the playoffs. In practice, it appeared that Williams benefited from the rest.

“We were careful with him last week,” Turner said. “I think that extra week is going to help him. He looked quick today. He looked fast today. We know he’s very, very physical and it will be big to have him back.”

Williams’ impact against the run is very evident when watching the Chargers and the numbers show his worth as well. The Bolts gave up over 100 rushing yards in six games this season. Williams missed two of those games and was far from 100 percent in another after knee surgery.

Against the Titans, Williams will be pitted against six-time Pro Bowl center Kevin Mawae. Williams and Mawae have played against each other several times over the years, including a Wild Card playoff game when Mawae was with the Jets. The players share a mutual respect for each other.

“The thing about Jamal is he’s such a big human being that unless you’re in the perfect position you’re not going to be able to stop him,” Mawae said. “He does a great job of holding the point of attack and playing his gaps and things like that. Where his forte is size and bulk and strength to hold the gap, mine is quickness and leverage. I think it’s a good matchup for both of us.”

Kaeding improving

Last week, Turner battled as he tried to decide whether or not Nate Kaeding would handle kickoffs with his bruised plant leg. It took one play for Turner to be relieved that he gave those duties to Dave Rayner.

“We go into Oakland and on the first kickoff they break out to the 40 and Dave (Rayner) makes a tackle,” Turner said. “I said, ‘That might have been a good decision to have Nate not kickoff this week.’”

Kaeding was limited in practice Wednesday but Turner is pleased with his kicker’s improvement.

“Nate I think is making great progress,” Turner said. “I think Nate’s further along than he was last week. He made all three of his field goals last week. He had a lot of leg. In pregame, he kicked the ball both into the wind and with the wind with very good distance, very good accuracy. I think he’s making progress and he’s further along than he was last week.”

Rayner remains with the team and will likely be active Sunday even if it’s just for precautionary reasons. Turner said the range Kaeding displayed last week prior to the game in Oakland had the coach feeling good about his kicker.

“Based on the way he kicked in pregame, I don’t think his range is going to be a concern for me,” Turner said.

Nice work

The Chargers began preparations for the Titans with a normal Wednesday practice and Turner liked what he saw from his team.

“I thought we had great focus,” Turner said. “Again, we’re familiar (with Tennessee). We played these guys a month ago. There was good recall. In some cases there wasn’t great recall, but obviously once they see it it comes back to them real quick. Wednesday practices, there’s always some things you have to redo, you have to work on again. You have to come back out on Thursday and fix the things that weren’t done exactly the way you want, but I thought we had a good practice.”

Fullback Lorenzo Neal (leg) was the only player to miss practice, while Kaeding and linebacker Marques Harris (hand) were limited.

Nothing but love

Chargers players continued to downplay any talk that the chippiness displayed in December’s meeting with the Titans would spill into Sunday’s game.

“Yeah, we’re going to all give each other hugs before the game starts,” linebacker Shawne Merriman joked.

Merriman was in rare form when meeting with the media Wednesday. When asked about Titans running back LenDale White mocking him after scoring a touchdown in the December meeting, Merriman said, “He didn’t even do it the best.”

Merriman credited Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson with the best rendition of his sack dance. He also said he plans to copyright the move and start charging players $100 when they do the dance.

Big blow

The Titans lost their third-leading receiver Wednesday when they were forced to place tight end Bo Scaife on injured reserve. Scaife, who played with Titans quarterback Vince Young at Texas, suffered a lacerated liver in Tennessee’s win in Indianapolis Sunday night.

“Bo's been a big-play guy for us in his own way,” Head Coach Jeff Fisher said. “He's kind of a leader on offense. He's out there every day, gets up after most big hits. This one, he did. He came back and played. It's a difficult situation for Bo. We've got people on the roster that are going to have to step up.”

Mawae, who has missed the last two weeks with a calf injury, guard Benji Olson (back), defensive end Albert Haynesworth (hamstring), defensive end Antwan Odom (team decision), running back Chris Brown (back) and White (knee) were among six Titans who missed Wednesday’s practice. Quarterback Vince Young (quad) and wide receiver Roydell Williams (ankle) were limited.

2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I don't care how bad the Titans say they are. I want Jamal and the rest of our team to go out and play like it's the last game they'll ever play.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I think Williams and Castillo especially will be fired up and going after the titans like crazy

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    San Diego Chargers leave no survivors

I'm suuuuper cereal you guys!
    [​IMG]

EXCELSIOR!!!

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Oh man, we are gonna kick their *** so bad.

6. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    You know what I'm afraid of....beating the living **** out of the Titans and not being ready for Indy.

If we beat Indy the Superbowl is ours!

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    if we beat new england the super bowl is ours
    but we would still have the Titans and Colts to go through first and they are more immediately important

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Hearing that Jamal is healthy is probably the best news I've had all week!!

Mawae & Stewart are going to get their asses schooled on Sunday!! :yes:

9. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    You got that right. Castillo is going to be the difference this Sunday. We're gonna load up on the run and force Young/Collins to beat us through the air. If we can't match up in man-to-man with this average receiving corps, there's absolutely no way we'll be able to match up with NE.

10. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    The D-line is healthy for the first time in many weeks. We are going to bottle up the run and bring serious heat on whoever is under center.

Norv Turner has done a GREAT job in how he treats our injured players, getting the team ready to play week in and week out while keeping an eye on the postseason.

:tup:

11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Agree 100%

12. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    To me a healthy Mal is the KEY to our playoff D. If he remains healthy and Teddy continues to go after it watch out :tup:

13. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171

Seriously you're getting closer and closer to positive rep. :)

14. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Seriously if you do that I'll drop a 69 red on your ***.

:icon_rofl:

15. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    What I really like about what Norv has done is the number of games that he has gotten starters off the field, and given the backups some playing time. I don't know how many times when Marty was here I was thinking "how far ahead do we have to be before he gets those guys (the starters) out of there?"

16. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    :yes:

The way he handled things in the Raider game was perfect. Rested players with injuries, no one got hurt and won the game easily.

17. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The Crux of the Biscuit. Our front seven will make life much easier for the DB's. The Titans are also short handed in the receiver corps with a gimped quarterback. There will be no excuses for losing this game as long as the refs don't lose control of it and they don't screw up the calls they have to make.