1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Williams on full go

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Casey Pearce
    Posted Aug 2, 2009

In recent years, coaches have paced defensive tackle Jamal Williams by giving him some time off during training camp, but the three-time Pro Bowler has hardly taken a snap off during the first weekend.

Chargers defensive tackle Jamal Williams[​IMG] doesn’t know if or when he’ll get a practice off and right now he doesn’t want one.

“Before camp started I talked about how good my body feels and how much better I am then I’ve been the last couple of years,” Williams said. “I’m out there running around and having fun and I still feel great. No need to rest.”

In recent years, coaches have given Williams the veteran treatment. He rarely worked both practices when the team held two-a-days and he regularly took a practice off here or there in hopes of taking the best possible care of his body. Through five practices, Williams hasn’t missed one.

“I want to have a chance to get out there and get better,” Williams said. “I have things I need to work on. We really haven’t talked about a day off.”

Williams is also enthused by the fact that his role has expanded a bit. Over the past couple of seasons, he hasn’t played a big role in some of team’s defenses. He’s been more involved in the nickel package this summer and is enjoying the work.

“It’s all about getting a push up front and they’re giving me a chance to do that,” Williams said. “You always want to be on the field more. I love it.”

Nice work

Safety Steve Gregory[​IMG] stole the show in Sunday’s practice as he broke up a pair of passes and intercepted another. While Gregory stood out, Head Coach Norv Turner says the fourth-year pro’s strong play often goes under the radar.

“Steve is an outstanding football player,” Turner said. “He’s very versatile and sometimes he doesn’t get credit for the things he can do. He had a nice day today.”

Gregory was primarily a special teams player in his first two seasons with the Chargers but has seen his role increase. He was a regular contributor in a variety of defensive packages last season. Gregory will likely see similar duties in 2009, but also finds himself in the mix for the starting strong safety job.

“I’m trying to work every day to keep increasing my role,” Gregory said. “I’m a guy that goes out every day and does what’s asked of me. Whether I get credit or not, that’s fine. I’m just trying to do whatever I can.”

Looking the part

Another player who shined Sunday was Jacob Hester[​IMG], who added about 10 pounds to his frame this offseason preparing for his role as the team’s starting fullback.

“It makes a big difference,” Hester said of his weight gain. “It gives you a little extra ‘umph’ when you’re hitting those linebackers. It helps for sure.”

Turner said Hester will still be used as a runner and not just a blocker this season. This season the head coach asked Hester to drop a little of the weight, but Turner likes where Hester is now.

“Quickness and getting to the target fast are more important (for a fullback) than weight,” Turner said. “He’s in great shape and he’s at a great weight to play the position.”

Oklahoma!

The first padded practice of training camp brought out a brief appearance of the Oklahoma drill. At the beginning of practice, defensive tackle Ogemdi Nwagbuo[​IMG] and guard Tyronne Green[​IMG] locked horns for three plays in a one-on-one battle. Defensive end Vaughn Martin[​IMG] and guard Louis Vasquez[​IMG] also squared off.

Two on Monday

After just one practice Sunday the Chargers will work twice on Monday. Wednesday will give fans their first chance to see the team practice as they’ll work at Qualcomm Stadium starting at 7:25 p.m.

Fans are also invited to the Bud Light FanFest on Saturday, scheduled for 10 - 1 p.m.

2. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

At 33, Williams knows his career is on borrowed time

By Kevin Acee
    Union-Tribune Staff Writer
    11:23 p.m. August 2, 2009

Five straight practices!

Once it was established early on that Shawne Merriman was healthy, perhaps the most encouraging thing to arise from the first three days of Chargers training camp is that their toughest, strongest and oldest player has yet to rest a single practice.

“I'm enjoying this,” nose tackle Jamal Williams said. “The older you get you appreciate every snap, even if it's in practice.”

(For the record, Williams, at 33, is the oldest Charger that actually plays football. David Binn is 37, but he is the Chargers' long snapper.)

“I've been watching these coaches nowadays,” Williams said. “The head coach of Denver is 32.”

(Actually, Josh McDaniels is 33, six days older than Williams. But still.)

It is clear Williams loves this game, cherishes being with his teammates. He is one of the players who often lounges on the big leather chairs in the locker room, just talking and joking. He even did so last week during rookie workouts, the final few days of his vacation.

“This is a blessing,” Williams said. “You never know. When I first stepped in the league they said the life span of an NFL player was three years. Shoot, this is going on 12, bro. This is four times the life span.”

That fact is not consuming him, but he seems more aware of his football mortality after 11 seasons in the trenches.

The man doesn't play quarterback, or even running back.

He plays a position that requires him often to take on two men who are almost as large as he is. And when he is healthy, there might be no one better at it, as his three Pro Bowls in the past four seasons attest.

“He's a beast,” linebacker Stephen Cooper said. “Dealing with 700 pounds every play. It has to take a toll on your body.”

While former defensive end Igor Olshansky liked to tout his “superhuman strength” and boast of his being the team's weight room king, Chargers players have long touted Williams as the strongest player on the team.

“Brute strength,” defensive end Ryon Bingham said. “One of those guys with God-given brute strength. He could probably not touch a weight, but one of those guys that'll come in and throw 600 pounds on the squat and get after it.”

Williams would have to be strong to do what he does healthy, but the past two seasons, his strength, mentally and physically, is perhaps the only thing that got him through.

Knees that required in-season and offseason surgery limited him much of 2007, and last year he was hampered by a painful triceps injury.

“Him playing through that pain,” Cooper said, “a lot of guys wouldn't suit up.”

Williams hid the injury from the public all year. Now, he acknowledges the struggle.

“It was kind of odd working with one arm,” he said. “Sometimes I just couldn't get that arm working. Certain blocks, I couldn't take on at times ... I had options to either go get the surgery and miss up to three months or just deal with it. They said most people get the surgery. But based off what we have in this locker room, the opportunity is short. I'm going to go out and give all I got, because you never know.”

Williams spent the offseason rehabilitating the arm, working inside and on a side field during minicamp and coaching sessions.
    He has reported to camp missing 20 pounds. He's coy about his exact weight, but it appears he might actually play this season around the 348 at which he has long been listed.

“They said they were going to give me a lot more running,” said Williams, who has been playing in the nickel package this camp. “So I said, 'OK, I've got to make some adjustments.' It's cool playing at that heavy of a weight, but you've also got to realize you want to get in on some passing downs so you can move around a little bit.”

The time is going to come when Williams is forced to take a break, perhaps as soon as in one of Monday's two practices.

“Jamal is going to be healthy,” head coach Norv Turner said. “We know he's getting up there (in age). There are certain guys you have to manage it and be smart. I'm not worried about Jamal. We've got to get Jamal in great shape. We have to get him enough reps where he's playing at a high level, but we don't need to see him play just to see him play. We just need a plan that gets him ready to play in September and that gives him a chance to play at a high level throughout the season and in the postseason.”

Williams will accept that. He has for the past few years taken “veteran rest” in camp and sees the benefits.

“One thing they do know about me is I will get prepared to the best of my ability for Sunday,” Williams said. “Any kind of approach that will help me get better is all I care about right now. If it's taking less reps and more mental reps, I'm going to go out there and give it my damn best because, you know, time is of the essence.”

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I love The Wall. :yes:

Get after it, big guy. :abq2:

4. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Jamal rules. He is money every time and will go down of one of the best chargers ever.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    I am really glad to hear this kind of good news out of camp about Jamal. :tup:

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Sorry I couldn't see that battle between Martin and Vasquez, must've been fun to see

and yeah basically the whole team is healthy and playing at full speed. And they all have the right attitude. Don't know how much more you could ask for at the beginning of the year

7. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Big man is ready to start eating people again.

Sweet. :bolt:

8. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Mad Man Love for Big Mal!:abq2:

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Stir Martin and English into the mix with a healthy Merriman and we're back to having the best front seven in football. Cromartie is headed back to his first season form, Jammer is nails now and at the very least, we will be adequate at safety. I will be seriously surprised if we don't sweep the division. The Browns, the Bengals and the Redskins can all be had. That's 11 games. The Fish make twelve, probably. Cowboys, Giants, Steelers and Titans. A split of these makes 14 and home field advantage for the playoffs.

10. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers DT Jamal Williams, the key cog to the team's 3-4 defense, had a lukewarm reaction when coach Norv Turner told him to take the practice off. "I like to be out there to work on my timing," Williams said

Chargers NT Jamal Williams said a strong recovery from two knee surgeries apparently will earn him more snaps in passing situations. "I feel good," said Williams, a 348-pounder who draws two blockers in the base defense. "Maybe I'll get some one-on-one in nickel and dime packages."

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    An article that I wrote a month or so ago has us going 14-2 with losses at Pittsburgh (21-20) & to Philly in a shootout (48-45).

As for Cro - I hope you're right, but as of now he's only showing that he's a walking hard-on w/limited mental capacity. :icon_evil:

12. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171

While I enjoy dominating and kicking *** in the regular season I want this team to win in January. My main concern for the regular season is another slow start.

I want a ring. Bad. :yes: :bolt:

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We all do. :icon_toast:

14. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Everyone is healthy and camp is more intense. There is real competition for positions on a roster that is as talented as any in the NFL. Nobody is going to get complacent this year because they have people breathing down their necks. Competition at SS should be intense and sharpen everyone on the roster. No slow start this year.

15. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    #76 Home Jersey is what I'm buying next.

Philip's jersey will have to wait a year.

Big Jam is gonna lay the wood this year. :yes:

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm sporting my powder blue Jamal for the opener. :tup: