1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Wireless internet help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by HollywoodLeo, Apr 30, 2007.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
    So i'm sitting in my room this morning tooling around on the internet like I normally do when suddenly my wireless signal goes away.

I think maybe somebody unplugged the router on accident, but I come back to the living room and it's still plugged in and the lights are all on. (same with the modem.)

Now I (nor my brother) can seem to find a signal all day. One will show but when we try to connect it either says "connecting" for forever then doesn't connect or it "connects" but says "limited or no activity" which really means no activity. (I'm hardwired right now)

Every once in a blue moon we get a real signal, but it comes and goes as often as a Raiders win against an AFC West opponent.

Everything appears to be working, everything's plugged in, it's obviously not just my computer (since Daniel is having the same issue) can anyone help me?

2. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    done countless times.

Cable

i've also done the thing where you unplug everything, replug in the modem, wait 5 minutes, and replug the router, and restart the computer multiple times.

3. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    Well, the signal seems to have magically started working again without me doing anything.

I'll report back if the issue reoccurs.

4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Someone took a **** in San Antone, and it surfaced in Arkansas, and fuq'd your **** up, is the onliest thing I can say.

Mebbe onea Shammie's cows...

5. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    Leo, do you have a 2.4ghz wirless phone? If you do, it may be causing interference since both 802.11 b/g wireless and the phone share the same bandwith range.

I've seen this happen many times before. If it is the case, upgrade to a 5ghz phone.

6. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    do cell phones count?

7. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Sounds to me like you were blaming the router instead of your service provider. ;)

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    The internet worked just fine when I pluged the cord in. (as opposed to trying to use wireless)

9. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    Problem could also be the router. First try plugging in directly into one of the ports on your router, instead of going wireless. If it's stable, then the problem is with the built-in wireless adapter or interference (cell phones should not be a problem). If it's still dropping while directly connected to the router, proceed to connect directly to the cable modem. If it still drops, then it's definitely an ISP problem. If not, then it's time to get a new wireless router.