1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

With his job in doubt, Chargers linebacker Wilhelm steps up

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Matt Wilhelm is too honest, too much of a linebacker to not acknowledge what he almost let slip away.

After his best performance of the season Monday night against the Jets, Wilhelm acknowledged he stepped up his game as the shadow of Tim Dobbins threatened to engulf Wilhelm's playing time.

"It drives me," Wilhelm said. "The biggest thing is it's almost like I got complacent being the starter. I never realized until it came that there was heat from behind, from Tim."
    Dobbins and Wilhelm rotated series Monday, as the evolution of the "Mac" linebacker position continued for the Chargers.

Wilhelm simply had not played aggressively enough or well enough to keep his job full time. When Dobbins played well in 19 snaps at Denver on Sept. 14, either he was going to continue to take more snaps until he outright took over, or Wilhelm was going to step up and save his job.

It remains to be seen what happens, but Wilhelm took a step toward retaining his playing time by being in position, taking hits to blockers and making tackles.

"Tim Dobbins gives us a physical presence," coach Norv Turner said. "He's very aggressive. Obviously, Matt brings a lot of things from a coverage standpoint and from his knowledge of the defense. So I think that has been a good mix."

Said Wilhelm: "I played focused. I made plays. That's what my game should be about."

UT

2. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    How did he now see it when the rest of the world did?

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Maybe his game isn't the only thing that is "slow". :icon_shrug:

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    he should have known the team would be relying on him so much when Cooper went out, moron

5. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Maybe he had his head up too many skirts? :icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 2
  6. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Maybe he's gay :icon_shrug:
    I mean who's seen a ILB that can't tackle for his life and is good at coverage? I'd rather put Rivers at ILB.... at least he'd go for the body, not the invisible legs.:lol: