1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

With manning loss will he quit?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by House of Hayne, Jan 11, 2015.

1. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    manning might have to learn a new play book
    Next year
    Possibly a new OC
    If his gets a HC job next year
    Will he stay?
    He should quit
    With all the free agents next year, they can't keep them all

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Maybe he comes back...as offensive coordinator?

3. chahjah

chahjah BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +134
    Nah he's gonna be the CEO of Papa Mannings pizzas if he retires

4. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    The Broncos have more cap space than we do so I don't think keeping their own free agents is an issue that will cause Manning to retire. But if he does all the cap space in the world won't conjure up a useful QB, so hopefully he says goodbye and they get stuck chasing mediocrity for a few years.

5. House of Hayne

Ratings:
    +204
    And he will have a Buick and be insured by double wide

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I still don't quite understand how they have so much cap space still

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Most of their contracts are back loaded, with op-out clauses for the expensive years, if I remember correctly.

8. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    Some of it is this, and they'll pay the price starting in 2016, but some of it is just having a number of solid players on cheap deals. They've done a great job.

My hope is they spend big to keep the Thomases and then Manning suddenly retires, leaving the Broncos stuck in a really tough spot.

9. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Why retire? The guy makes winning 12 games a year a piece of cake. Lace em up and try again Peyton, no need to blow up everything. Defense let them down. If they go after both Suh and Justin Houston and keep both thomas's and cut welker for better WR.

I still believe we are 3rd in the pecking order for the AFC west crown and Oakland is nibbing on our feet. I personally hope Peyton retires as it makes it easier to win the division.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  10. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    Really? A 3-13 season is "nibbing" at our feet? 11-37 the last 3 years, "nibbing"? Seriously?

Oakland is a mess. Every year I hear "Oakland is getting better" and every year they suck. And every year I love it.

11. Boltz_from_Oz

Boltz_from_Oz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +143
    Manning has 19 million reasons to return next year. All his umming and ahhing about returning is his passive aggressive way of ensuring Gase stays at the Broncos. Watch Elway keep Payton happy by sacking Fox and installing Gase as head coach so he doesnt go coach somewhere else.

He'll probably chase LeBeau as well once Del Rio gets the Oakland HC job.

12. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    Manning is also a jillionaire who plays a sport that is known to cause debilitating post-career health problems and shortens life expectancy. I don't think he'll retire this year but whenever he does he's likely going to be leaving plenty of money on the table.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    He lost the fans in Donkeyville or so it sounded on the TV audio and he may think long and hard on it.

14. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    He should hang up the boots simples.....

15. Kayworks

Kayworks BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +48
    Fact Since the lost to the Rams He hasn't played the same.
    Just check the stats. he's game has declined.
    Just waiting for the for the announcement.

Coming back for year 18 at 38. This isn't George Foreman.

16. Kayworks

Kayworks BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +48
    Good Points
    Oakland is "kinda" Nibbing. They have seemed to fixed their QB problem and they have lots of Cap Space. as far as 3rd. I'm not convinced of that. But, I can see your point after the 2 loses to KC.

17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    I can't see Peyton not having some football related role after he retires. It's just a question of whether he takes an OC position or a spot in a commentator booth somewhere.

He can likely be CEO of Papa Johns at the same time while delegating much of that responsibility (which he's probably doing already anyway)

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    To be fair, I think they actually have a real quarterback now.

But, until they prove anything saying they're "nibbling at our feet" is a very pessimistic stretch.

JohnnyX strikes me as the ultimate reactionary fan. If I recall correctly he was predicting nothing but glory for the team back when they were on the winning streak early on in the year. Now suddenly we're barely better than the Raiders. :roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
  19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Somehow I doubt money is an issue for Peyton.

But you may be right about the ulterior motive nonetheless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    That cap space can get used up pretty quickly when you consider that the majority of their noteworthy FA's are going to be looking for upper-echelon deals: Demaryius has likely been posturing waiting to see what Dez Bryant gets to benchmark his deal but likely ends up in the at least the Mike Wallace ($12m AAV) range and possibly tickle the Calvin/Fitz ceiling ($16m AAV); Knighton already took his discount/contender deal with Denver he'll be looking for at least double (~ $5m AAV) this time out; Franklin will likely be benchmarking off Clary's 2012 deal at minimum and possibly even kicking at Oher money ($5m AAV); Julius Thomas will probably price himself out of town since he's going to want Jimmy Graham money ($10m AAV) and the Donkeys aren't likely to want to pay more than Kyle Rudolph/Dennis Pitta money (~$7-8m AAV). That's ~$42 million in expenditures without even taking into account the $5m it will take to sign their rookie class, the likes of a restricted free agent tender for Brandon Marshall, and other free agents like Rahim Moore, Quinton Carter, and Nate Irving (have to figure Welker is let to walk; and if he's smart he hangs them up because he's a walking concussion at this point) - which is $10m more than they have to spend.

There will be trims made. But if Peyton feels he can come back and play to a capacity that won't diminish his reputation he likely will. His PR machine is already out making excuses for yesterday's performance saying he's been playing with a "torn quad" (mind you, sprains are minor "tears" so it's very likely they're just over-inflating the situation for damage control) since the second half of their game at the Q. Been hearing rumblings that the Donkeys may be keying up to fire Fox though (possibly to just up and promote Gase, but who knows), following the loss yesterday.

21. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    Oh yeah the Broncos definitely don't have the cap space to keep their guys and make meaningful additions. My main point was that they don't need to break up the band this year because they've still got room to keep everyone if they want to.

Regarding your numbers, we've seen from last offseason that the Broncos are more than happy to backload deals to give them additional breathing room in the short term, and I'd expect them to do the same this year if they do bring everyone back.

22. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    He'll commentate. For one, it's a chance to keep the spotlight on him (which God knows he loves). For another, it'll end up being the same thing as what went down with the likes of Gruden and Cowher, who everyone swore would "be back on the sideline soon:" They found out that they could get paid just as much to wear a suit and sit in a studio talking about football - and not have the travel schedule (which I think may be the biggest culture shock to Peyton since that means he actually has to spend time with his family and not ferret himself away "studying and preparing").

23. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    That's why I tend to always talking in AAV and guaranteed money rather than single-year cap-hits. All the same, I do believe that Elway is championship-greedy but I don't think they're going to sacrifice too much of the future for the present. They've got ~$32 million in cap space, but that's with only 44 players under contract going into 2015. A full complement of rookie class would put them to the requisite 51 that gets counted against the cap (only the Top 51 contracts get counted against the cap) except that rookie contracts are typically the cheapest of all so that really doesn't work to that end, considering they'll need enough space to budget holdover for injury signings (usually $3-5m) and dead money (for cuts) that will count against the books, and will be filling out their camp roster with more than just a crap ton of UDFA's which means that the higher veteran minimum (escalating pay scale based upon years of veterancy) starts kicking in (roughly $800-900k per vet).

This with Osweiler in a contract year, so if he proves to be a serviceable option they're looking at either franchising him for a year to sort of put off the pain or paying him, at worst, Andy Dalton money and having to fit that under the cap. And then there's Von...

24. House of Hayne

Ratings:
    +204
    Oh no having to spend time with the rugrats
    I'll go another year
    With a half *** effort

25. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    • Agree Agree x 1