1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

With McNeill playing like that, what happens to Oben?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LittleTrain, Sep 12, 2006.

1. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Does he come back and just backup both tackle spots? I don't see them benching McNeill now that he's in there and starting. I don't see Oben beating out Olivea. That's going to be a pretty decent backup LT from the way it looks right now.

2. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    It's a long season and McNeill (much like Rivers) didn't have to do much last night. We'll get a much better feel for how good the kid is when he has to pass protect more than a dozen times in a game against a real NFL calliber DE.

3. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    We have 5 weeks to figure it out

I say lets wait and see how he does against NFL defenses (baltimore and Pitt in a few weeks)

4. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    While I understand some of the trepidation I am hearing, as the adopted father of the future ProBowl left tackle for the San Diego Super Chargers, I feel obligated to stress his extreme "stud-dom". Id be surprised if Marcus allowed more than 3 sacks all year long.... and those would probably be considered "coverage sacks", or come as a result of "cheating"! In fact, he may just pitch a shut out!

When Oben comes back, he should be placed at RT, and Olivea should slide inside to RG..... then nothing will stop LT from obtaining 2000 yards rushing.

EDIT....

and oh yeah, AJ is a genius.

5. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I can go with that. Put Oben at RT until we can find another tackle in the draft that has McNeill's size and wingspan. However, I think Lekkerkerker can be that RT for us in the future.

6. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    I agree about drafting another stud OT in the draft next year. We need a future bookend opposite the 747 that is McNeill. I forsee a saftey in round one and a roadgrading RT in round two next year.

About Lek.... jury is still out.... but we should know a lot more by midseason.

7. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Lekkerkerker has the size and long wingspan, like McNeill.

What he is lacking right now is the mobility, training, and conditioning. He needs to improve on his footwork in space, especially blocking at the second level, and his overall conditioning as he appears at times to be lumbering around.

If Cory can improve his footwork and conditioning he'll be a great RT for us.

However, I foresee a time when Oben won't be with us, so draft another huge tackle with long arms and have him and Lekkerkerker battle it out for the RT spot. The "loser" becomes the backup.

• Like Like x 1
  8. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    Genius line of thinking... are you and AJ related?

• Like Like x 1
  9. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    I wish. :icon_mrgreen:

10. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Olivea may not have McNeill's measurables, but he's very underrated by you guys. I don't think he's going to be moved anywhere.

11. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Yeah Olivea isn't going anywhere...not to mention the Charger coaches seem to be very happy with the OGs. Heck, Hardwick probably graded out the lowest last night.

Working on the assumption that McNeill keeps up this level of play, Oben is going to be one hell of a veteran backup.

12. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    I dont think I underestimate Olivea.... In fact, I value guard play very much in this game.... I think they are the key to running effectively.... and I believe Olivea's athleticism and toughness makes him a prime candidate for a probowl RG/LG.... the fact that he can play a quality RT demonstrates his versitility thereby increasing my admiration of him. In short, I think Olivea is a stud.... and AJ's genius is demonstrated once again through his play for the Bolts!

13. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I'm more concerned with goff. He's okay. But I saw him struggling a bit last night. That to me is the final hole to get filled for the years ahead. And possibly finding one more good o-tackle for backup if the guys we have now can't handle it.

14. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    No way Goff is getting benched this year. Or Dielman. Moving Olivea isn't happening anytime soon.

15. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Goff is the best pass blocker we've got.

He is also the leader of the line. He is extremely important.

16. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Let's just hope that he makes it back. I'm not sure that he'll be playing at all this year.

17. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    WTG.... Defend your boy! I like Goff as well. As a matter of fact, I think our OL is really gonna step up this year. We had roughly 200 yards rushing in the first game with the Turds regularly stacking 9 men in the box. Noice!