1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

With our issues at RT, what about fattening up Manu?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Alpenbolt, May 29, 2009.

1. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    I am not a big "lets find new positions for guys" kind of guy but lets face it Manumanaulaululalanunu is getting up in years to be a route running threat and he is one of the best blockers we have. Might be better to stick him on the line full time at RT.

He is a little short to be a RT but if we fattened him up with 20 more pounds he maybe could pull it off. He would have Ryan Clady type quick feet and find a full time spot during his last few years in the league. Seems like a win-win.

If Clary continues to struggle or no other backup emerges during the year perhaps this should be considered.

Clear problem is we don't have another blocking TE on the roster but those can't be impossible to find.

We should probably throw this into the pile of crappy "what if we moved this guy here" threads but it is smack in the middle of offseason and nothing is going on.

2. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Manu did not have a good year blocking.

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Thank you. :icon_toast:

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    more likely he'd be fattened up into a fullback then a RT

5. StratoBoltz

StratoBoltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Yeah i am concerned about the RT position but not sure that Manu would be the answer.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Took the words right outta my pie hole. :tup:

Concerned about RT? Sure!

Solving those concerns with Manu?

Don't Think So!!!!!

If you want to solve a RT problem, you need a real lineman, not a tight end who gains another 30 pounds and says "I played one on TV!".

• Like Like x 1
  7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    The way that he blocked last year .......

He could be fighting for a roster spot. seriously.

We need to carry as many DL/OL/LB as possible. If one of the younger guys steps up & shows good hands & an ability to block - bye-bye, big boy.

8. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I wouldn't be shocked if Manu is cut with the talent we have on this team. I don't want to see that happen but with the studs we have at most positions, some good guys are going to be looking for work when the Turk cometh....

• Like Like x 1
  9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    If your really that concerned about RT and Clary there's two options

1. Look at FA, not much but might be someone
    2. Put in Corey Clark who you got in last year's draft

10. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Clary didn't "struggle" though he was charged with giving up 6.5 sacks half, (if not more) were because of other players allowing the pocket to collapse and PR not being able to step up into it. Most were caused by McNeill (playing injured) falling back so far into the pocket trying to protect his head/neck. A couple more were on stunts to the inside (Mike Goff) and poor reaction to the stunt by both Goff and Clary.

The bottom line is that there is a "perception" that we needed a Right Guard around the league and it won't go away. Ask yourself - if Clary was all that bad why were we more interested in adding depth to guard and center? Does that sound to you like AJ and Norv are worried about Clary? I think not.

Granted, I'm only a fan, but I've been at this fan business since the Los Angeles Chargers played their first game at the Colliseum and I might have picked up a hint or two about O-Line play over those years.

I'm not worried about Clary - I *AM* worried about seeing McNeill recover from his surgery and return to form before the regular season. LJ is also recovering from a post-season surgery. That is why the kid out of the Aztecs is taking almost *all* the snaps at LOT....

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bagman

Bagman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Congrats on your law degree.

With posts like this one, perhaps you should direct most of your attention to your new career.

Don't we already have enough non-FB types attempting to play FB for us?

12. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Wow, what a great post, how thought provoking
    With posts like these, perhaps your trying to be the new forum troll?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Sorry, Ant, but he has a point. First of all, why would you need to fatten up Manu to play FB? He's already 300 lbs. Second, he didn't block worth a crap last year. Why would he make a good lead blocker? Last, but not least, since we seem determined to ruin Hester by attempting to force him into a FB role & we already have Tolbert & Latsko (sp?), what possible good would be served by adding Manu into that mix?

Perhaps you simply don't like your opinion being challenged? :icon_shrug: Or is that also too thought-provoking for you to contemplate?

• Like Like x 1
  14. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Why would we do that? Hes a pretty ****** blocker for a guy his size

If anything, i wish they would give Vasquez a shot at RT

• Like Like x 1
  15. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886