1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

with rivera I feel EXCITED about norv.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by mandude, Feb 19, 2007.

1. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    I hated NORV turner as a pick. I always respected him as an OC, but his past as HC never amounted to much. But now it seems like Rivera and Cottrel can focus on D and leave Norv to mastermind the offense. This is going to be a great year.... amazing what can change in a day.

2. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    Nobody was excited about Norv, at least us minions of the fan base.............but after Rivera comes, the minions are lining up (especially after hearing the norv presss conference).........the key is continuity, yes, but the Rivera hiring proves we also want ingenuity, he can bring something to this defense, maybe its insight on 3rd and long maybe its insight on red zone........but he will bring a fresh voice to this D.

Its time to see if Norv can orchestrate the highest scoring team in the history of the league!!!!

With Pagano, Rivera and Cottrel this D is poised to be the teams best ever.........now go get us a safety & ILB AJ........the draft is this teams lifeblood. With 5 picks on the first day (assuming he gets one for Burner), I'm pumped to see where AJ can take this.

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Everyone says Norv is this offensive guru. The fact of the numbers is his offenses were the middle of the road. Under him the bolts were 12th best in the NFL. Not bad, but not great either. The Skins under him never lead the league that I know of, not did the Raiders.

So lets hope for the best.

4. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    As Turner said last month, talent is what wins.
    "Look, everybody at this level is a good coach," Turner said. "The difference is having star players and getting your star players to perform at that level. There's no big secret to all of this. The players are the ones who have to perform."<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Soooo... What happened in the playoffs?

Were not the Chargers arguably the most taleneted team in the NFL this past season? I dont see the Lombardi on the mantel...

One thing can derail a talented team like ours. It happened in Washington, it happened in Oakland. I am amazed with all the bad things happening to the players last season it did not happen here.

That is an undiciplined team turning on itself and imploding. That can sink us quick. Does anyone think Mr. Turner can command the respect of the players and be a diciplinearian? He has not done that at any of his teams. In Dallas he had JJ. Washington imploded, and Oakland burnt to the ground.

Whats going to happen next year when a plaeyer is shot, or arrested, or there is strife in the locker room. Sorry guys its back to the "Oh gee golly guys cant we get along" days we left behind when we showed that jellyfish Riley the door...

But I support our current jellyfish, just still venting and worrying about things over which I have zero control.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Shelmon, Hunter and Turner on offense
    Rivera, Cottrell, Pagano on defense

tripletts offense and defense

7. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    See also "In AJ We Trust":tup:

AJ knows what's going on. Next stop, the draft.:abq2:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Next stop Free Agency. I look forward to see what we get for Turner, and what we can do with Dirty Dielman and Shaun Phillips.

Who knows, this might actually be the year that we sign a "name" free agent.

9. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288

Hopefully A.Thomas from Baltimore. PLEASE!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'm not sold on him as a great OC either.
    Who couldn't be successful with Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin, Alvin Harper, Jay Novacek, and that monster of an offensive line?!!!

11. Tha rock

Tha rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    Im not so sure about rivera. If he was so great lovie would have kept him. That defense in chicago was built by lovie so i dont think rivera should take credit for it. The other thing is why would you want a tampa 2 LB coach? Tampa 2 defeses are way diffrent unless hes going to be on a short leash and have no imput.

12. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Yes, but he had guys like Kerry Collins, Gus Frerotte and Heath Shuler quarterbacking those clubs. When he had someone decent to work with, like Brad Johnson, Norv's clubs were pretty successful offensively.

As for the Bolts being ranked 12 with Norv as OC, well they were ranked 28 the year before so that's quite an improvement.

I can't blame Norv for the mess that was the Raiders. That club began its downward spiral before Norv got there and has continued it since Norv left. People wanted to blame Norv for not getting more out of Randy Moss in Oakland. But I think it has been proven that there just isn't as much to get out of him as many pundits had thought.

The Norv pick essentially says, "Don't rock the boat." Norv is a likable guy who will not give the rah rah speeches that Marty did, but he will make sound gameday decisions and he will maintain continuity on this team. Ultimately, the success or failure of this team is going to have more to do with the players than with the coach.

13. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I heard he might be getting the Franchise Tag.

I feel much better with the Rivera signing. :bolt2:

14. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    He's not a Tampa 2 coach. He coached in that system for a couple of years, but prior to that he was with Jim Johnson in Philly. While Philly runs a 4-3, their LBs rush the QB as much as any teams, so I don't think the techniques he'll need to teach our LBs will be all that different. He'll have to get up to speed on our 3-4 scheme, but so what? There's this misconception among fans that every coach only has one scheme they know how to run, and that's simply not true. Most position coaches have coached under several different schemes in their career.

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

That kept me from putting my desk top through the wall!!!:lol: :lol:

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    But Rock has a point. I would like to know why the Bears didn't keep him!

17. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    The signing of Rivera does help me get over the bad feelings with the Turner\Cottrell signings. I understand that Cam was running a variant of Norv Turners offense, he can call plays and handle coaching the offense. I was not sold on Cottrell but with Wayne Nunnely on the line and Rivera on the backers I feel good about the Defense. I like that Turner is keeping the rest of the coaches. Ramsdell is really good with Rivers, Shelmon is great with LT and can probably be the Assisstant OC, and Hunter and the other Line coach are fantastic, don't even think about touching them. Lofton can handle the recievers. But I got to say this, Crosby has to get lost, he is not a good Special Teams coach. Turner may even make me happy if he can sign Dielman, trade Turner for some picks or help (My Turner trade fantasy has us sending Turner and one of our late third round picks to the Jets for Jonathan Vilma who would then be sent to the Steelers for Troy Polamalu), and let AJ draft us a WR and backups on both lines.

18. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288
    DAMN! but not surprising. With Rivera how about Briggs, nevermind he's franchised.

19. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288

Judging from this:

"I’ve decided to go in a different direction with the defensive coordinator’s position,” said coach Lovie Smith. “I really appreciate the job Ron did for us for three years and I’m excited about his future going in a different direction. But it’s my job to put us in the best situation to move forward and I think this will give both of us a chance to go in the direction we’d like to." (http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=3083)

Rivera wanted to do different things than Lovie.

20. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    You do realize that Norv took over a Redskins team that was 26th in offense, then took over a Chargers team that was dead-last in offense, then took over a Raiders team that was 25th in offense and about to collapse, then took over a 49ers offense that was dead-last?

Norv hasn't been brought into situations where he had a good offense and was asked to make it great. He was brought into situations where the offense was terrible and he was asked to fix it. Everywhere he's gone the offenses have improved almost instantly--even in Oakland.

The one and only time that Norv had great a very good QB, a great RB, a good TE, and a very good offensive line, the Cowboys were an offensive juggernaut.

21. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288
    Found something else interesting in the article;

Smith was asked how his coaching staff is better without Rivera.

“I think you should trust me as the head football coach to put us in the best position to win football games,” he said. “It’s as simple as that. I feel comfortable that we’ll have an outstanding staff next year and put ourselves in a good position to win.”

Smith denied that philosophical differences led to the Bears parting ways with Rivera.

“It’s none of that at all,” he said. “Ron had the same philosophy that we have his entire time here. You'll always do things differently if you're some other place. You'll never do things exactly the same way. But there was never a problem with our philosophy. We played great defense while Ron was here and we’re going to play good defense now that Ron is gone.”

When asked about performance issues, Smith said: “Those are the things Ron and I talked about. We feel good about the things we did together during that time, but no more needs to be said about that. That’s between he and I.

"It’s just a fit that we have and right now the direction I would like to go and the direction that Ron would like to go. We’re going in two different directions."

Rivera was asked by a reporter whether there was a personality conflict between him and Smith.

“I don’t think there is, I really don’t,” he said. “I believe this is just a football decision and it was made. Emotionally, I’m disappointed in not getting the opportunity to come back in ’07 because as I said after the (Super Bowl) loss, this is a football team that’s headed in the right direction.

22. Tha rock

Tha rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18

Alot of bears fans said they wanted him gone. he played alot of prevent type defense instead of using blitzes and exotic looks. BTW 4-3 LBs are alot diffrent still.

23. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I am a frequent member of another forum (forums @ megadeth.com) and all the bears fans were happy to be getting rid of Rivera. Why, basically, he doesn't blitz enough.

24. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    If he were our DC, I'd be a little worried about that. He's not. He'll coach up our LBs, and Cottrell will likely cut them loose and we'll be knocking heads all around the defensive secondary next season. :helm1:

25. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I agree... the decisino to blitz or not to blitz seems like it should be Cottrell's rather than Rivera's.

I still can not say that I'm "excited" to have Norv Turner as our new coach. But I feel much better now that the pieces have all fallen into place. I can say with confidence that AJ had a decent plan bringing all these guys together. We've added a very qualified offensive mind in Turner, and two quality defensive minds in Cottrell and Rivera. Norv has a lot to prove, but I will support him while he sports the blue and gold. :tup:

26. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    *Ding Ding* We have a winner!!:tup:

Also consider that Cottrell said when he looked at the defensive playbook from last season, he knew about 80% of the calls already from his previous experience with this defense.

27. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    That's not Rivera's fault. Lovie's Tampa 2 system, like all Tampa 2's, involves almost no blitzing. It's a fundamental part of the scheme. It's a 4 man rush scheme with zone behind it.

Rivera says that his greatest coaching influences have been Jim Johnson and Andy Reid. Jim Johnson is certainly not afraid of blitzing.

28. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Bergo23 - I was just in your town on business two weeks ago. Just missed the bad weather, albeit was cold. Welcome to the board.

29. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    I agree, except for the fact that Rivera was let go and we snatched him up. Rivera would not be on our staff (other than as the HC) if the Bears would have extended his contract.
    Talk about timing. Maybe it's a sign of good things to come. :icon_shrug:

30. sdrocks

sdrocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Don't we play the bears this year? Having Rivera on our staff will be huge for that game.