1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

With the 18th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Chargers select...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DFlo, Mar 9, 2011.

1. DFlo

DFlo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,

I'm running an interactive mock draft with the fan forums of all NFL teams where the fans get to vote and make the pick for their respective team.

So far the fans have voted:
    Carolina - Fairley
    Denver - Dareus
    Buffalo - Newton
    Cincinnati - Green
    Arizona - Bowers
    Cleveland - Peterson
    San Francisco - Von Miller
    Tennessee - Blaine Gabbert
    Cowboys - Prince Amukamara
    Redskins - Julio Jones
    Texans - Robert Quinn
    Vikings - Ryan Mallett
    Lions - Tyron Smith
    Rams - Aldon Smith
    Dolphins - Mark Ingram
    Jaguars - Christian Ponder
    Patriots - JJ Watt
    Chargers - ???

You can vote for the player you want the Chargers to select here:
    Football Draft Notebook - Interactive Mock Draft

Also, if you write a short 3-sentence description as to why this player should be drafted in this thread, I will pick out the best write-up and post it in the mock draft section along with your name!

***Also for mods, I hope you don't see this as spam. I am just trying to get the right fans to vote for their team, so we get the right mock draft. If you have any problems, please let me know.

2. DFlo

DFlo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Cam Jordan leads with 2 votes

followed by Kerrigan, Carimi, Baldwin with one vote a piece so far

3. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Jacksonville picks Christain Ponder? I think Ponder is a stud, but IN THE FIRST ROUND? Dude has been hurt quite a bit. That site must have a lot of FSU homers that are Jags fans too.

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Uhhhh.....So was Matthews when we traded up to get him

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Yes, but Ponder missed 19 games while at Florida state. Matthews missed only 8. Not saying there's a magic number on how many you're allowed to miss. But for a QB to miss that many games just doesn't translate to a first rounder.

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Cam Newton to Buff?

Ryan Fitzpatrick anyone?

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Who has been injured a lot in the last college year (ala Cromartie and RM)?

That is who we will draft.... :lol:

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I'd go Cameron Jordan

9. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I know it will not be a lineman we do not have a need for one of those guys.

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Time to draft a QB.

11. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Kicker

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    A QB THAT CAN KICK! DOOOOD! WE B GENIUS!

13. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Very strange draft, but if it did play out like that, then we HAVE to take Cam Jordan

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    We also took Cromartie in the 1st who missed the whole year before being drafted.

I agree that I wouldn't want my team taking a guy with those issues (let alone trading up for a player with injury issues), but it isn't totally out of the question.

15. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    A Long Snapper

[​IMG]

16. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    cam jordan

17. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Were it to pan out like that I agree Cam Jordan for me. I don't think the O linemen are worthy of pick 18. I only saw Heyward play 1 game ever (was it this years bowl game?) and he was a beast. How come he isn't getting the love?, somebody enlighten me.

18. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Yeah... would either be Cam Jordan with Liuget as a dark horse there, but considering that we were linked to having brought in Alualu for workouts last year and had interest in him (though obviously he went much higher than we were willing to commit to), one would have to think our scouts are familiar with (and were before he really started getting draft hype) Jordan.

For a number of reasons Liuget strikes me as a guy who could get AJ gaga over him, but Jordan SHOULD be the pick in that instance.

19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I've been back and forth on Heyward and I like him, just not at #18. His value kicks in anywhere between 25th and 35th overall, and if he somehow manages to slip to us in the 2nd he's a tremendous steal. The thing is, he's recovering from surgery and I don't think he's even going to make it to OSU's Pro Day (he'll be going entirely off of personal workouts) thus he hasn't had the chance to elevate his stock with the Senior Bowl or the combine as others have, and he's coming off a season where he underachieved for the most part up until the bowl game (and that was the first "Big game" that he really showed up on all cylinders for).

I have him, Corey Liuget, and Muhammad Wilkerson all relatively even - each has pro's over the other two and each has weaknesses. And to be honest, even though I think he's a tad undersized, I'd almost take Adrian Clayborne from a pure talent standpoint over any of them.

Liuget has played both the 0-, 1-, 5-, and 3-techniques at points in his collegiate career. Heyward is the prototypical size, build for a 2-gap 3-4 DE and has potential to be a real sleeper as a 1-gap 3-4 DE. Wilkerson, though the level of competition is significantly lower, is a straight beast... and his program has a solid track record of late for churning out quality DL (not to mention it's not like Texas - and particularly the Dallas area/region - isn't a hotbed for quality football recruits anyway).

20. DFlo

DFlo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Cam Jordan Leading with 9 votes
    Akeem Ayers 2nd with 3

21. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Because he ******* sucks. Ive watched him for 4 years and i wouldnt take in the 3rd, let alone the 1st

22. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I could see a scenario where if Jordan/Watt are off the board and Tyron Smith is still on the board (or even not concieveably) that the Chargers could trade down with the Colts/Bears into the later 1st and grab Wilkerson/Liuget/Clayborn. Giants really want OL, the mentioned teams need tackles badly. I am very interested in both Wilkerson and Liuget as I think both could be very good DEs, though I am not sure if that is immediate. At least Jordan I think could step in and contribute in a big way immediately. Still if this worked the way it did and we got Jordan outright I'd be thrilled.

As for Heyward, I might be interested if he's at our initial second round pick but I have some real questions about him.

23. DFlo

DFlo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Make sure you vote in the poll.

Jordan has 10 votes, closest is Ayers with 4.

Going to let it run overnight and post the results tomorrow!

24. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Why do we need another QB? Just because he is there? So now we going to draft someone who will get first round money, just to hold the clipboard? Cut my season ticket money in half, and I'll pay to hold it. Look at all the money they can save.

25. DFlo

DFlo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, the results are updated! You can see who your team selected here:

Football Draft Notebook - Interactive Mock Results

You can see the voting breakdown in the Voting History tab!

And feel free to bookmark that page and continue voting guys - we do one team every day! The New York Giants are now OTC.

26. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Wilkerson is far more in the mold of a 2-gap DE... and I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see the Pats target him at #17 unless there's a OL prospect Belichick really loves (Pouncey's a definite possibility if for no other reason than rising need on the NE squad at C/G with the impending retirements and the fact that they lost to the Jets because they could pass-block on rushers up the middle - not to mention the BB/Urban Meyer/UF connection). The only other pure 2-gap DE with a 1st round grade in this draft is Dareus. Guys like Liuget and Jordan can play in a 2-gap system but it doesn't maximize their strengths and they don't fit as perfectly as Dareus and Wilkerson do. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats trade back from #17 to target Wilkerson a few picks later - assuming that if they leave Jordan on the board that AJ will jump all over him.

Liuget is a guy that in spite of his youth can start for us from Day One. He'd still be a likely candidate to see around a 60/40 split on snaps with Martin, but he should beat him out in camp for the starting spot because he already has experience playing the 5-Technique at Illinois.

Heyward... it's a bit of a crapshoot, but I'd bet on the kid. His work ethic is really good - which is why I'm surprised that he tends to disappear in big games but he was also heavily game-planned around this past year and the Buckeyes sorely missed their edge rushers that they graduated in 2010 more than I think they had counted on.