1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

With the 27th selection in the 2008 SBN NFL MD, the San Diego Chargers Select...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Big Bolts, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I dont see how we pass on a good RT this year with our 1st rnd pick. I could see it if we had MORE picks on day 1, but w/ ONLY the 1 pick, it's gotta be OLine.

2. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Yeah if Cherlius is on the board, at #27, AJ takes him. No doubt about it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Concur but Phillips isn't a bad pick either

• Like Like x 1
  4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    with Hart signed long term I don't see the Chargers drafting a safety. I say OT.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Have any of you guys even seen Cherilus play? He is a turnstile and commits at least 1 false start a game. He is so stiff and his lateral movement is piss poor. He struggles with leverage and totally lacks balance. It looks like he is wearing invisible iron boots on the field. He has a good attitude and has perfect physical tools but hasn't used them in college and I have seen no sign from him telling me that he can be a successful player in the NFL, especially right away. He is a project and I think he has more potential at right guard in the NFL than right tackle. The only way he starts in his first year in the NFL is if the team that drafts him has a gaping hole in the offensive line, otherwise he will likely be exposed in training camp and be relegated to a backup role. There is no doubt in my mind Clary would beat out Cherilus in any type of training camp battle, no doubt. I have watched 85% of the games Cherilus played in. The dude played like Leander Jordan in college and will play like Leander Jordan in the NFL.

6. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Well AJ and the scouting staff seem pretty high on him. I'll take that any day of the week.

Besides, if they took him, it wouldn't be to start right away. He'd be there as a back up, to learn and develop, and then step in as either RG or RT in 2009.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    \

He played last year at Left Tackle where he struggled but prior to that he was at teh right tackle and he dominated. Any person that's reviewed him said he'd struggle at LT and needs to get some more work in BUT they also say he'd start at RT and dominate as soon as he gets into the system. So down boy down

8. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    I've reviewed him and he will not dominate. He is a very strong run blocker but I put much higher importance in pass blocking. If he goes into a pass heavy system he will be a horrible, horrible pick. If he goes into a run heavy system he will be an OK pick. If he goes into a balanced system he will be a poor pick.

Look Boston College is my favorite NCAADI team and I am telling you he sucks in pass protection. Do you want this guy on your team committing critical false start and holding penalties? Do you want him getting beaten off the edge in critical moments? You don't spend 1st round picks on linemen who commit tons of penalties and lack pass protection ability. If you are going to make someone the 27th best player in the nation and one of the top 3-4 offensive linemen in the nation, that player better excel in all facets of the game. Cherilus can stay with bulky 280 pound defensive ends but edge rushers will absolutely dominate him in the NFL. If I am drafting a lineman 27 overall I want him to be able to negate every single rush in the book, regardless if he is a left tackle or right tackle. I can't even begin to describe how silly he looked this past year. Yes his junior season he played a lot better but that was because the entire offensive line was better and he also didn't have as much weight on him as he had as a senior. He played beside Josh Beekman who was an absolute ROCK and then James Marten manned the left tackle position with great success.

9. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    I haven't seen the guy play one single down, but with your analysis on him I'm sold, let get this guy, trade up if you have to AJ :icon_tease:

P.S. there's a thread in the lounge on who has the best avatar in the forum, you win the WORST EVER avatar in the history of internet forums :tdown:

10. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    From what I see it has more to do with what could happen in next years draft. What players are available in next years draft. And who they can land this year so to set up next years draft.

Its all about looking towards the future and setting up next years draft.

Land one or two good to very good players to fill spots for the future means they have less needs in next years draft.

With so many somewhat good picks that we'll have next year and with so few spots to fill that means they could trade up alot more thus landing players they really want. Thus making the drafts in the future even easier. Sweet place to be in now. That guy A.j. is pretty good at this. God bless him.

Its looking more and more like its up to A.j. to land enough talent so even our coaches can't mess it up.

11. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    I'm just curious. What do you think AJ sees in him, if he's so obviously horrible?

12. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I'm just curious, how do you have any idea what AJ thinks of him? Do you really think AJ would show his hand two weeks before the draft to anyone?

Mtl is a BC NUT. On top of that, the guys football IQ is off the charts. I KNOW that MTL knows more than most of the sources people are quoting to back Gosder, and I know for a FACT that he watches ALOT more college football than anyone here or in the national media.

13. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    I'm just curious, how do you have any idea what AJ thinks of him? Do you really think AJ would show his hand two weeks before the draft to anyone?

Mtl is a BC NUT. On top of that, the guys football IQ is off the charts. I KNOW that MTL knows more than most of the sources people are quoting to back Gosder, and I know for a FACT that he watches ALOT more college football than anyone here or in the national media.

14. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Care to back that up? :icon_huh:

15. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    I would take any bet on it. :yes:

16. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    How do you plan to prove that he watches more CFB than anyone else?
    :icon_shrug:

17. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    How about this...

Name a Charger Player. ANY Charger player. If you don't want to do a Charger player, do ANY player currently playing in the NFL. Give an original breakdown of his game- nothing copied and pasted. Mtl will do the same. Give examples of games you watched.

Let the people decide. :yes:

18. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    I'm not talking about me. I watch less than 6 CFB games a year. You stated a "Fact" that he watches more CFB than anyone else. I asked you to prove it.

Can you do it?

19. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    I was just going off the impression I've gotten from the UT. The reporters over there, who actually talk to AJ, seem to have the impression that they would like to take Cherilus, but aren't optimistic on the chances he'll be available at #27.

Still, he could be a raw, unpolished product just like MtlBolt is saying. But that's ok, because we don't need him to step in and start right away. No one we draft this year is going to be a starter. They are going to be back-ups and development projects for 2009 and after.

Any o-linemen we draft this year are not expected to start until later. They are there to be back-ups, and to learn in order to replace Goff or Clary in 2009 and beyond.

20. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Thanks for the video footage Eldwin.

As if that footage doesn't say enough, his two worst games (both against Virginia Tech) are omitted. Cherilus got abused by Virginia Tech DE Chris Ellis on virtually EVERY SINGLE PLAY.

As you can see in the footage, Cherilus plays so off balance that he gets abused by stutter steps, stunts and general timing based rush moves, because he commits his body to one direction and struggles to recover. As a result he tends to use his long arms to try to redirect defenders who have beaten him and often whiffs completely, making him look even more horrible. He generally overextends too much and overextension and poor body control go hand in hand. The third video there shows him basically tackling a defender who beat him and that pretty much sums up his senior season.

Also the nfl.com scouting reports say that Cherilus giving up 5.5 sacks a 4 pressures his senior season is acceptable given BC having run 600+ passing plays. What they don't take into account is how many times Matt Ryan bailed Gosder out by doing what "Matt Ryan" does which is get rid of the ball quickly or feel the rush and use his highly underrated scrambling ability to evade it. Philip Rivers is one of the least mobile QBs in the NFL and his pocket awareness is pretty bad (although his general field awareness is good). Him and Gosder aren't a match made in heaven, especially given how poor Gosder's recovery ability is once he is beaten. If Gosder had a stone footed QB throwing behind him this past year, his stats probably would have read something like "9.5 quarterback sacks allowed, 7 pressures".

21. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Completely agree, thread could stop here. I feel it would be a waste of a pick if we go D, or anything other than O-line.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I don't often agree w/Mtl, but I'm not a Cherilus fan, either. Watch quite a bit of ACC ball & was not impressed with his play. Against edge rushers he looks slow & out of balance. He may project much better to RT, but I personally wouldn't spend #27 on him, especially with it being our only 1st day pick. :no: WE're better off to trade down & look at Nicks or Baker, IMO.

Phillips will be very hard to pass up if available to us. While I prefer a big OL, I could definitely support this pick. :tup:

23. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Sam Baker is strictly a left tackle. Nicks has a lot of potential but there are a lot of question marks surrounding him so selecting him would be a gamble, no doubt about it. He is the complete package as he is gigantic and very nimble. If he devotes himself to football and works his *** off he could be steal the of the draft. If Carl Nicks had Gosder Cherilus' work ethic and Gosder Cherilus had Carl Nicks' feet and agility, they would both be dominant prospects.

24. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    I Know you can prove that I don't. :icon_rofl:

25. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Smartass. :lol:

26. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    Me? :icon_rofl:

27. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    MTL, can you ditch the avatar & sig, they're almost as irritating as your posts.

• Like Like x 1