1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Workplay's 2014 Mock draft (with trades)

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Workplay, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    1. Houston Texans select Jadeveon Clowney
    2.Atlanta Falcons select Khalil Mack
    3. Jacksonville Jaguars select Johnny Manziel
    4. Cleveland Browns select Sammy Watkins
    5. Oakland Raiders select Jake Matthews
    6. St. Louis Rams select Greg Robinson
    7. Tampa Bay Bucs select Anthony Barr
    8. Minnesota Vikings select Blake Bortles
    9. Buffalo Bills select Mike Evans
    10. Detroit Lions select Justin Gilbert
    11. Tennessee Titans select Darqueze Dennard
    12. New York Giants select Taylor Lewan
    13. St. Louis Rams select Marqise Lee
    14. Chicago Bears select Hasean Clinton-Dix
    15. Pittsburgh Steelers select Aaron Donald
    16. Dallas Cowboys select Louis Nix
    17. Baltimore Ravens select Eric Ebron
    18. New York Jets select Odell Beckham Jr.
    19. Miami Dolphins select Zack Martin
    20. Arizona Cardinals select Derek Carr
    21. Green Bay Packers select Calvin Pryor
    22. Carolina Panthers select Brandon Cooks
    23. Kansas City Chiefs select Kelvin Benjamin
    24. Cincinnati Bengals select Jason Verrett
    25. SAN DIEGO CHARGERS SELECT: Bradley Roby
    26. Cleveland Browns select Austin Seferian-Jenkins
    27. New Orleans Saints select C.J. Mosley
    28. Philadelphia Eagles select Kony Ealy
    29. New England Patriots select Jace Amaro
    30. San Francisco 49ers select Carlos Hyde
    31. Denver Broncos select Ra'Shede Hageman
    32. Seattle Seahawks select Xavier Su'a-Filo

2. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Trash talk highly encouraged

3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    I'd be very happy with Roby

4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    One of the most realistic mocks I've seen...only two issues. The first is Hyde going in the 1st round, and specifically to SF who still has Gore, Hunter, and Latimore returning from injury who is a similar player. Second is the Steelers drafting Donald, I'd be really disappointed to see him land in a 3-4 defense. Stay in your lane!;)

Roby is a realistic possibility, as disappointed as I'd be to see us pass on Fuller.:(

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    I also find it hard to see 3 TE's go in the 1st, Especially ASJ going to Cleveland when they have Cameron

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +353
    Roby is a realistic pick. IMO just going to be a bad one. I'll say it again Fuller, or Verrett for me. If both are gone then BPA pass rusher, or NT.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Little scenario

Jacksonville: Javedeon Clowney DE/OLB South Carolina (Trade)

St. Louis: Jake Mathews OT Texas A&M

Houston: Khalil Mack OLB Buffalo

Cleveland: Sammy Watkins WR Clemson

Oakland: Greg Robinson OT Auburn

Buffalo: Mike Evans WR Texas A&M (Trade ATL)

Tampa Bay: Johnny Manziel QB Texas A&M

Minnesota: Aaron Donald DT Pitt

Atlanta: Taylor Lewan OT Michigan (Trade Buff)

Detroit: Ha HA Clinton Dix S Alabama

Tennessee: Teddy Bridgewater QB Louisville

New York (G): Eric Ebron TE North Carolina

St. Louis: Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State

Chicago: Kyle Fuller CB West Virgina

Pittsburgh: Anthony Barr OLB UCLA

Dallas: Kony Ealy DE Missouri

Baltimore: Louis Nix NT Notre Dame

New York (J): Odell Beckham WR LSU

Miami: Zack Martin OT/OG Notre Dame

Arizona: Blake Borltes QB UCF

Green Bay: Calvin Pryor S Louisville

Philadelphia: Jason Verrett CB TCU

Kansas City: Xavier Su'a Filo OG UCLA

San Fransisco: Bradley Roby CB Ohio State (Trade CIN)

Houston: Derrick Carr QB Fresno State (trade SD)

Cleveland: Jimmy Ward S NIU

New Orleans: CJ Mosley ILB Alabama

Carolina: WR Brandon Cooks WR Oregon State

New England: Marquise Lee WR USC

Cincinnati: Timmy Jernigan DT FSU(Trade SF)

Denver: Ryan Shazier LB Ohio State

Seattle: Morgan Moses OT Virginia Tech

*In this fiction scenario San Diego trades out of the first landing 33rd and swapping 39th (from Jags) for our 57th, while throwing in a 4th (101) just to make us bite*

33rd
    Kyle Van Noy OLB BYU
    Telesco follows the Polian motto going with the safest player approach adding players who can play today over players who may need some time to develop. There is none player in this draft towards the latter half of the first who is safer than Van Noy.

39th
    Cody Latimer WR Indiana
    Latimer has been rising up boards lately, would be a nice addition for Rivers

89th
    Daquan Jones NT Penn State

101st
    Terrance Mitchell CB Oregon State

125th
    Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

165th
    John Urschel OL Penn State

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  8. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    As much as CB is a need, I would rather see us draft BEEF. NT, OL or DL.

9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    I won't call it trash talk, just some notes in terms of trends I've seen and cataloged from watching established front offices around the league.

I don't see Atlanta trading up for anyone but Clowney - Mack is (even though I don't think he's a Top 10 pick, I'll concede this) the most complete prospect in this class (outside of Aaron Donald, really, but that's not a widely-accepted opinion). But everyone bases the "Atlanta moves up" argument based on the Julio Jones trade from a few years ago - the thing is, Julio Jones had massive upside, and Khalil Mack is pretty much maxed out where he's at right now. I'm not saying Atlanta wouldn't select him if he fell to their natural pick, but he just doesn't strike me as the kind of player that a team is going to give up the (likely) two 2nd round picks (one this year and next) and possibly more to move up from outside the Top 5 to #2 to go get. A trade up for Greg Robinson and his Larry Allen-like upside is more likely in my eyes than a trade up for Mack - and even then I'd only lay less-than-even odds on that happening.

Andy Reid is calling the shots in KC. And while receiver is "a need," it was so plenty of times in Philadelphia and Andy still was insistent on drafting big hogs (OL and DL) in the 1st round. Now granted, the Chiefs have no 2nd round pick in this draft, but that alone scream to me that in losing 1 starting DL and 2-3 starting OL to free agency, it's going to take Hell or highwater to push Big Red off of drafting beef in the 1st this year.

I honestly don't care what Mel Kiper says - and yes, I fully admit that he actually tends to be a bit "tied in" to what's developing (though in fairness, his sources are agents, not GM's or team personnel, so you have to take what agents say with a grain of salt because they lie to the media as much this month as the teams do), Teddy Bridgewater isn't falling out of the 1st round. Even if it's Houston that eventually selects him, they'll trade back into the 1st to ensure getting him - particularly if the Raiders and Browns also pass on QB's in the 1st. GM's get itchy trigger-fingers and even if they don't "love the guy," many will cave to mob mentality of "he's falling, we've got to ensure we get him before someone else does!" If Kiper's correct and the Texans would draft Bridgewater at #33, then they'd trade up for him, if for no other reason to get that 5th year team option on his rookie contract given the position he plays, the fact that if they'd take him that high they'd believe he's a franchise QB, and the kind of heavily-escalating coin being handed out on second contracts to QB's these days.

I'll believe Martin Mayhew drafts a CB (that's not also the BPA) when it actually happens, not till then. He's a staunch BPA drafter (the man took what amounted to a #3 DT with a Top 10 pick because he was BPA) and just plain doesn't seem to place a ton of value in the secondary positions. An argument could be made that some would consider Gilbert BPA there - I certainly don't (he's my #6-rated CB).

Just some food for thought.

10. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
  11. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +275
  12. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +491
    I really don't get this type of argument, if a guy has good enough physical traits to be good player, then we've seen time and again how hard work can make these non-freaks into great players, yet some people still dismiss them

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    I think you always have to fear the Aaron Curry factor, but ultimately you can't predict it. If we were in the top 5 I'd take Mack and have no regrets, and if he busts (which is unlikely but not impossible) you just accept the draft for the crap shoot it is.

14. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    No one is dismissing anything, but it's a bit absent-minded to not recognize it for what it is. A fair number of prospects have plenty more room to improve over their current game because while they're not going to go through some massive growth spurt like they did in puberty, they can still pack muscle onto their frame and get stronger - or in the case of many, as they hone the technical aspects of their game better their ability to produce should climb proportionately.

With Mack, he's effectively maxed-out his frame. And there isn't much room for his technique to get cleaner. So while he's been quite effective at getting it done against college players (not quite to the point I'd call "dominating consistently"), there's a pretty substantial jump from college to the pro's.

Team selecting players in the Top 10 are seeking players that are going to be great pro's, not just good or effective or very good, but flat out great. A lack of ceiling hinders that potential because it effectively means that the prospect needs to transfer the effectiveness of his college game to the pros seamlessly and without missing a beat.

15. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Do you similarly think that Brent Grimes, Antoine Winfield, and Lardarius Webb are too small?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    How about Ronde Barber, Cortland Finnegan, Brandon Flowers, Tim Jennings, Chris Harris Jr., Janoris Jenkins, Alterraun Verner, DeAngelo Hall, and Chris Houston?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    San Diego Chargers

Offense:

Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana (Visit)

Brian Clarke, OL, Bloomsburg (Visit)

Darryl Johnston, OL, New Mexico (Visit)

Spencer Long, OL, Nebraska (Visit)

Kadeem Williams, OL, Albany (Private workout)

Garrett Scott, OL, Marshall (Private workout)

Defense:

Ben Gardner, DL, Stanford (Visit)

Scott Crichton, DL, Oregon State (Visit)

Jimmy Staten, DL, Middle Tennessee State (Private workout)

Ricky Tjong-A-Tjoe, DL, Boise State (Visit)

Colton Underwood, DL, Illinois (Visit)

Jeremiah Attaochu, LB, Georgia Tech (Visit)

Carl Bradford, LB, Arizona State (Visit)

Morgan Breslin, LB, USC (Visit)

Brock Coyle, LB, Montana (Visit)

Kyle Van Noy, LB, Brigham Young (Private workout)

Larry Webster, LB, Bloomsburg (Visit)

Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State (Visit)

Marqueston Huff, S, Wyoming (Private workout)

Going heavy with the OL DL and LB prospects

18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    I've also heard they have had a number of chats with OT Cornelius Lucas from Kansas State, FWIW

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    I know its impossible to suggest the direction they're trying to go by looking at a piece of paper with names on it, but if I did have to read between the lines and seeing their list is made up of a ton of 2nd and 3rd round players, I would suggest they are more inclined to try to trade back to go after Van Noy or Attaochu. By my own preference, there are about 4 or 5 players I would love to have in rounds 2-4 than to pick that one player at 25 (even if it's Verrett, Fuller, or Su'a Filo)

"Jerry" (what he likes to be called) said yesterday in an interview, that when he was talking to the Chargers, they kept putting an emphasis on the ability he has to line up at different positions, being exactly what they looking for in their system. From the ability to stand up and rush the passer, to stepping back and covering tight ends to putting his hand on the ground and lining up at DE when we go into our nickel and dime packages.

20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    I've head they met with Xavius Boyd a few times, as have a few other teams. I like him as a 4th ILB practice squad guy.

21. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    Why is it that we've only met with one CB? Its our biggest area of need. Whats going on? Something smells fishy.

22. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    We've also met with Verrett, McGill, Jean-Baptiste, Lawson, Johnson, and Rashaad Reynolds at different times.

23. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    With Roby I would imagine they just wanted to make sure the bar fight incident was behind him, as well as finding out his thoughts on his play in the beginning half of last season. As Matilack pointed out they have spoken to a handful of other CB's, although Roby's name notably stands out among the others.

I find it ironic 2012 fans would sell their first born child to get this kid, Now after a few bad games and he's a 90% possibility to wear a SD jersey, fans would give away their first borns to keep him off the team.

What stands out to me is the heavy interest in 2nd and 3rd round prospects at pass rushers in Van Noy, Attaochu, Lawrence, Bradford and Chricton

and the latter rounds prospects at O line, suggesting they may look heavily at that position on day 3.

Telesco has shown he's more interested in game tape over what they did in underwear, Fluker, Te'o, and Allen, so he may very well pass on the 25th pick (who may not necessarily be a blue chip prospect) to acquire more picks to hit all their areas of need with players that may have fallen because they didn't run as fast or kick slide perfectly or may have to red shirt their first season, but can still make an impact.

24. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Rumored first rounders: Anthony Barr, Xavier Sua-Filo, Bradley Roby, Jason Verrett.

Rumored 2-3 round guys: Davante Adams, Jeremiah Attaochu, Carl Bradford, Scott Crichton, Cody Latimer, Marcus Martin, Kyle Van Noy.