1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

World's oldest dog dies in NY at 21 — or 147

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Johnny Lightning, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By VIRGINIA BYRNE, Associated Press Mon Aug 31 2009

NEW YORK – A wire-haired dachshund that held the record as the world's oldest dog and celebrated its last birthday with a party at a dog hotel and spa has died at age 21 — or 147 in dog years.

The dog, named Chanel, died Friday of natural causes at her owners' home in suburban Port Jefferson Station, on Long Island.

Chanel, as stylish as her legendary namesake, wore tinted goggles for her cataracts in her later years and favored sweaters because she was sensitive to the cold, owners Denice and Karl Shaughnessy said Monday.

The playful dachshund was only 6 weeks old when Denice Shaughnessy, then serving with the U.S. Army, adopted her from a shelter in Newport News, Va.

Along with her owner, Chanel spent nine years on assignment in Germany, where she became adept at stealing sticks of butter from kitchen countertops and hiding them in sofa cushions in the living room, Shaughnessy said. She also liked chocolate, usually considered toxic to dogs, Shaughnessy said.

"She once ate an entire bag of Reese's peanut butter cups, and, you see, she lived to be 21, so go figure," Shaughnessy added.

Karl Shaughnessy nominated Chanel for the title of world's oldest dog after noticing the Guinness World Records book had no record.

Guinness World Records officials presented Chanel with a certificate as the world's oldest dog at a Manhattan birthday bash hosted by a private pet food company in May.

Chanel loved the party, especially the cake, which had a peanut butter flavor and had been made for dogs, Denice Shaughnessy said.

Chanel exercised daily and ate home-cooked chicken with her dog food, but good care wasn't entirely responsible for her long life, said her owners, who attributed God.

"Dogs are God's angels sent here to look out for us," Denice Shaughnessy said.

A dog from New Iberia, La., named Max, is vying for the record of world's oldest dog. Owner Janelle Derouen said Max marked his 26th birthday on Aug. 9. She said Guinness World Records officials were reviewing documents to authenticate his age; a Guinness World Records official in London didn't immediately answer an e-mail from The Associated Press requesting confirmation of that.

When asked the secret to her dog's long life, Derouen said she was shocked he's still with her.

"I have five kids, and all my kids are grown and gone," she said. "Now my grandkids are playing with this dog."

2. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Damn, that was one long-lived hound........I feel bad for the owners, it must suck to lose an animal you've had for twenty-one years.

My oldest cat is 14, and I'm gonna be a train wreck when she passes, because she and I go all the way back to a warm June evening in 1995 when I delivered her furry ***. Her mamma was sort of neurotic, like many Siamese cats, and she didn't know what to do during the labor process; two of the kittens died in transit, and the other two had difficulties being born because they were both breech. One was OK, but the other one came out limp and unable to breathe because the cord was wrapped tightly around her neck.

I wound up doing mouth-to-nose resuscitation after cutting the cord, saving her rotten little life. She was neurologically delayed a bit for the first few months, but caught up to and then easily surpassed her brother in the brains department later on. Today she is a beautiful, long-haired, blue-eyed princess who knows she's gorgeous; she is ladylike in her demeanor and extremely affectionate, especially for a Siamese. She became ill earlier this summer and I thought we were going to lose her then; luckily, whatever it was passed, and she recovered completely. We think she might have spent at least three of her nine lives on that episode, but she's OK and as sassy as ever.:lol:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Wow...what a story... :tup: thats way cool...

[​IMG]