1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

worried about Norv? how about Rivera? Cason benched

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltmanbz, Oct 22, 2009.

1. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/22/chargers-yank-cason-out-of-nickel-role/

Cason has played even better then Cro, whats wrong with our coaching staff right now?

Chargers yank Cason out of nickel role
    Posted by Mike Florio on October 22, 2009 3:26 PM ET
    As the San Diego Chargers attempt to fix another season that is starting with unfulfilled expectations, we're told that the team is making another change in the secondary.

During the bye week, starting safety Clinton Hart was cut. Now, a league source tells us that cornerback Antoine Cason, the team's nickel back, has been taken out of that role.

Per the source, Cason will be replaced by safety Steve Gregory.

Cason, a first-round pick in 2008, hasn't committed any obvious blunders. In fact, he leads the team with two interceptions in five games.

The problem with the San Diego defense, by all appearances, has been the inability of the front seven to generate a pass rush, along with so-so play from the safeties. So moving one of them to nickel corner in passing situations doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Then again, most of the things the Chargers have done lately don't make much sense, either.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Huh???????? :icon_huh:

cromartie stays in but cason is removed from nickel back and replaced with a safety?????????

What's going on here?

3. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :lol: We're so fu.cked.

4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    They moved Cason to NT.:icon_shrug::icon_huh:

5. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    No way Conc! PFT is like THE source for reliable non-overexaggerated NFL info ever!

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Wait and let the whole story come out people.

There is obviously missing information, lets not knee jerk this to hades and back.

7. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86
    we shall see but it makes no sence to me, but at the same time with how our coaching has been, why be suprized

8. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    More of the story?

From Acee's twitter.

I find it hard to believe that you would bench Cason for not stepping up, when you could easily say the same thing for the ten other players on the field. Are we just going to continue to shuffle the defensive backfield around, all the while the problem lies up front in the pass rush?

9. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    could it have anything to do with his special teams play as well? :icon_shrug:

10. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86
    he leads the team with 2 picks and has not been playing anywhere near as bad as Cro and Gregory has

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Gatdamn dumpsterfire in SD.

12. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Jeeze. Does this signal ANOTHER first round bust pick from AJ? Not yet... but it is a bad indicator.

13. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86
    not even close! Cason has played very legit for 2 years now i think, right now i think he is better then Cro

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    For the immediate, perhaps, but not for the future.

The weaknesses on this team have been exposed, Conc. Doesn't mean that I'm bagging on the season, but no one can deny that there aren't serious problems with the Chargers.

15. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +349
    Gregory stinks, he should be cut!

16. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

I'll wait and see if they plan on moving him to safety or something, but if not, that 08 draft is looking horrible right now.

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    The blind squirrels in this organization have no chance of finding a nut, much less the Lombardi. :tdown:

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    And yet if they win the next 3 everything will be looking better...

19. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    There's got to be another story behind this. Sounds like we are only hearing part of what is really going on.

Pointy :icon_twisted:

• Like Like x 1
  20. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    don’t believe anything until you have heard it straight off the Hacksaw sports wire.

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    There are always serious problems with all the teams. If the Chargers go 13-3 how serious would the problems be then?

Everyone is acting like the sky is falling, some are even chickening out on the remainder of the season, AFTER 5 WEEKS!!!!

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Conc, I'm not acting like the sky is falling & you know it. You can't point to a single post that I've made where I've over-reacted. Called out certain under-performing players? You bet your ***. Questioned decisions by the FO & coaches? Guilty as charged. But given up on this team? No way.

I DO see the problems - serious problems - with the current team & the way that it's being managed. Maybe you don't or you're looking at it differently. That's fine. You're certainly entitled.

I guess I drank a little too much preseason kool-aid. Now I feel like puking.

23. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    remember the quote by someone here, (sorry, can't remember who)

It's been more like 21 weeks, not 5.

We are the same team as last year, we have not gotten better.

8-8 if we're lucky

24. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    In five games have the Chargers shown you ANYTHING that indicates they will go to NY and beat the Giants?

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    No, you think there are serious problems. You might be right, but we dont know what the hell went on at Charger Park to lead to this.

What was Cason asked to do that he couldnt or didnt in the two weeks? We dont know.

So you think there may be major problems, there may be. One such problem could be that the players are not playing the schemes that are being coached.

That has happened each of the last 2 years, and could be happening here.

Everyone sees peoblems because the team is 2-3. Wait, we will sonn know if there is serious problems but not for sure until the end of December. Unless the whole outhouse explodes... Feel me?

We are not the Redskins, they have SERIOUS problems. Titans, serious problems... 2-3, aint that... Chargers are still in the middle of everything and an adjustment here or there can tip the whole deal.

So that is my take. We can agree to disagree and I will still call you Mini Me! :icon_banana:

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    In five games did the raiders show you anything that said they could beat the Eagles?

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    So you say. I will hope for more. Every year is a new year.

28. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Of course we can. I just don't think that we can deny that, for whatever reason, our guys are not playing up to par. Either they're not buying into the schemes, not understanding them, don't care, aren't capable .... something. It shows on the field - that can't be denied.

Maybe we'll get on a roll in the next couple of games. I'd like to think so - I really would. But what I feel is that key positions have been paid too little attention for too long & now it's biting us square in the ***.

There isn't an ounce of quit in that statement. It's the reality that I see played out on the field. I really hope that the Chargers - players, coaches, FO, & owners - all prove me wrong. Eating that plate of crow would be the best meal that I could ever order. :tup:

29. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    No. Cason has been playing better than Cro all season.

30. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    of course we'll hope for more.

Only now we are back to having to lower our expectations

No problem, been there. Many times.

:icon_toast::icon_toast: