1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Worried

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by TBF, Aug 22, 2009.

1. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Our offensive line looks like ***.....

The second sack is on Rivers somewhat as he should have stepped, but Clary's new nickname is "drum".... As he gets beat worse than a drum!

I hope this is a sync problem and not a talent problem!

2. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    What Shane Olivea doing nowadays?

3. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Hester is having one helluva game!

4. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Yes, this was starting to get difficult to watch. Hester, McNeil, Deilman, Hardwick, and especially Clary blew blocks all over the place. But this last drive, culminating in the Bennett TD, the adjustments seemed to be there. The stunts were on target and all the running backs had plenty of room. I still have my doubts and worries, but I do think the Chargers are experienced enough to adjust when they have to and pull out something special like that.

• Like Like x 1
  5. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Definitely I am worried about our O-Line. 4 Sacks are unacceptable even in the Preseason. The O-Line needs to get their heads out of their posterior. :icon_evil: :unsure:

6. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Not worried at all. I think the Cards are just blitzing a little more than Norv probably expected for a preseason game. I think it just caught them off guard. Normally, in preseason, teams don't blitz that often, but AZ is really pouring it on.

7. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Bennett TD was on AZ 2nd string D (per Acee anyway, he said they came on right before LT was pulled).

I watched Clary get run over and then next play Dielman... wtf... Dielman I will let slide b/c it's rare he gets worked like btu Clary... he blew several blocks last week too... Norv seems to believe in the kid so maybe I'm missing the big picture?

I'm hoping it's a sync/basic play vs. full blitz type thing but still not feeling so good about the 1st string oline performance last week or this week - I KNOW they can play better than that.

8. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    I tell you I am not worried about - Nate Kaeding. That 56 yard launcher was impressive, dome or no dome.

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I'd like to be able to just see the game. I can't wait till regular season get's here.

10. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    He hit a 57-yarder last year outdoors.

11. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,424
    You guys don't get it. He missed one in week 1 of the preseason. He may as well call it quits now.

12. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    So, 3 feet less and it's still very impressive. I've never doubted Kaeding, that was the whole point.

13. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    I know. I was adding to your point.

14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    1.5 words

PRE SEASON.

15. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Too bad he can't do it when it counts or should I say clutch. Remember NY Jets playoff game? He missed a 40 yard FG.

You are the same people that were saying that it was not realistic for him to make a 54 yard FG against the Pats in the playoffs. It was too long for him. Face it he chokes under pressure. Stop making excuses for him.

16. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Yeah I have to admit that the o-line has been the most unimpressive aspect of our team so far.

But it's also the area that I think will be the most poorly represented by watching the preseason. The play calls are predictable in the preseason, which works against the o-line. We had a rookie making his first start, hard to have great expectations. And seriously, I can not remember a preseason in which we saw so much 'real game' pressure through the first couple quarters. While I totally agree the o-line has sucked, I'm hopeful that we will see significant improvements over the next two games.

17. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    problem is, this was against their backups. They pulled their starters and went to a vanilla scheme. this is not a good sign.

18. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    announcers said it too. as soon as they did, our o-line started to protect.

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    I like how you conveniently leave out the against the wind and in the rain part.

Anyways, that was 7 years ago and he was a rookie.

And slice it however you like (re Patriots game) 54 yards is 54 yards. FG kickers don't always make those.

20. Zot

Zot Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Ditto that! Didn't get to catch the game here in Nevada, but we did get to see Denver...yeah.
    :tdown:
    Later

21. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Whow! a playoff game about 4 years ago, :tdown: let it go, wasn't he like a rookie or second year player?

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    He was a rookie when he missed the FG against the Jets 7 years ago.

The 54 yarder against the Patriots was 3 years ago.

2 years ago against the Patriots Nate was the only one giving points to the team.

23. gobolts_charger

gobolts_charger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Have to agree with most comments on this thread...watching Rivers get sacked 4 times in the 1st quarter concerns me!!:no:

I'll give a few mulligans due to being Preseason & all, but come opening night in Oakland.....this better be fixed or we're in trouble.

24. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I will let it go once he makes a clutch kick.

25. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    2 more weeks to use that excuse. Enjoy it while it's still good.

26. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    How about let it go b/c his freaking plant foot slipped in the muddy wet rain soaked field? :icon_shrug:

It's not like he's Martin Grammatica or something :lol: he's a very reliable kicker.

27. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I put most of the blame for that miss on Marty. We were first and 10 on the 25 yard line. What does Marty do? Runs LT up the middle three times in a row for a total of two yards. Brilliant. Marty puts all the pressure on his rookie kicker to hit a 40 yard field goal in the rain on a muddy field. He didn't even try to make a first down or go for a TD. Just choked away another playoff game. Marty, doing his usual - FAIL.

28. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    I am moving away from the " pile on the kicker" sub-thread here to ask if any of you can suit up and play Right Tackle? It would appear that we don't seem to have one.

I will say that I don't think I have ever seen that much blitzing in a pre-season game...and I have watched or attended a lot of them, including Saturday's game. The defense really kept us in the game early on, and that was good to see.

Go Chargers!!!
    :flag:

29. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    he made the kick to send us into OT against the colts.

30. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Since this is an OL thread... and I don't think Nate can play right tackle, I don't see the point in arguing Nate's merits.

I agree with the OP who is worried about the OL. There are excuses to be made, its preseason, etc. Just like there were excuses about last year's performance like injuries, etc. But still, this has been the NUMBER ONE worry for me all offseason. I don't think that this group is good enough to give LT the holes he needs. They MIGHT be good enough to protect Rivers, but we need to see improvement from everyone on the line.

The OL: Biggest (non-injury) Bolt question mark of 2009.