1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Would a prolonged lockout Season look like the 82 Postseason?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ThunderHorse17, May 4, 2011.

1. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I was just lookin at the timeline of when the NFL swapped to 16 games, well originaly was lookin at SDs record in 03 04. Turns out I have been a fan of SD the start of the 04 season. In any case and more to the point.

Say the NFL cant get games going until week 7, do you think we would see a possible temporary expansion of the post season teams and base it on W/L records like the 82 season ended up playing out after a 8 week loss of games.

1982 NFL season - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 1982 NFL season was the 63rd regular season of the National Football League. A 57-day long players' strike reduced the 1982 season from a 16-game schedule per team to an abbreviated nine game schedule. Because of the shortened season, the NFL adopted a special 16-team playoff tournament; division standings were ignored (although each division did send at least one team to the playoffs). Eight teams from each conference were seeded 1-8 based on their regular season records. Two teams qualified for the playoffs despite losing records. The season ended with Super Bowl XVII when the Washington Redskins defeated the Miami Dolphins.

Before the season, a verdict was handed down against the league in the trial brought by the Oakland Raiders and the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum back in 1980. The jury ruled that the NFL violated antitrust laws when it declined to approve the proposed move by the team from Oakland, California to Los Angeles. Thus, the league was forced to let the officially renamed Los Angeles Raiders play in the second largest city in the United States.

:bolt2::bolt::bolt2:

So the 82 system ended up 16 of 28 teams in the Post. That would translate now to 18 of 32. 6 more teams in playoff contention... I would rather not lose more than week 1. IMO we are going to lose some REG season games ever since the March Lockout retalitation took place. We needed a CBA in place THEN.

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    I think you're looking too far ahead...... no reason to assume any games will be missed at this point.

3. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I think the timeline to avoid missing some of the Reg season games was in March before the *talks* broke down and the Players filed the injunction and the NFL in return Locked them out.

I may be lookin too deep into it, but it is just how I felt then and still am feeling with the NFL parties still NOT at a table negotiating, rather waiting for a Court to make a ruling on their outcry. Eventualy when the ruling is made, there still needs to be a agreement on a CBA. Players wont play in games with the risk of injury, and owners wont want to see their precious products value jepordized. Course players have been doing group practices against the preference of the NFL owners/coaches. Well not all coaches some see the comraderee it builds.

4. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Really?......... How do you figure?

5. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Well the talk was how long a court would take to process this case before it went that far. They brougt in a Mediator and that other title guy dont know right now. the 2 parties basicaly were just not avaialbe to talk or schedule a good date *Jan-Mar* to get this new CBA deal ironed out and debate what needed to change as time has passed and change in Big $ contracts do need to be revised especialy when it is written in that it will have a expiration date. As the 2006 date did, then extended temporarily. SO we're at what, now March the parties cant even operate a negotiation under federal appointed mediation and both parties walk away from the table. Turns out we find out now in April that if they were ever negotiating at all rather than trying to push it to the limit and play their cards they had laid down they would have at least some basic ground to stand on and start to NEGOTIATE. Now its May and how are those talks comming along? Last I heard the Court Ruling wont come until June 3. Which means both parties will NOT be at a table talking it out and ironing out the kinks until after the Lockout is lifted/unlifted and that means say at the earliest they could get to the CBA in 2 more weeks and say after 2 weeks of finaly talking and coming to terms the CBA can go instantly into effect and ON with the season around 4th of July (how convenient). Well in this timeline scenario we end up only missing out on all the Team Prep prior to the actual Pseason. Course the Pseason then would almost be just like Real games with so many players scrambling to get back into the motor mentality.

So maybe we dont miss the dates of games starting, but for sure the product wont be up to its usual standard until the 2nd quarter.

6. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Without a doubt, the teams with the least player turnover will be ahead of the curve. Teams with a ton of rookies, or a new coaching regime will struggle out of the gates more than usual. Lucky for us, Rivers and Norv are already so comfortable working together that our offense shouldn't have much trouble. It;s defense and special teams that will have to get used to new coaches and adjustments to the systems.

7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Psst ... If we end up with replacement players like we did back in the early 80's, those games were a blast.

If I remember correctly I think we won every game. We may have lost one game but damn those games were the chit. Support your replacement players. I promise to end my hiatus from the games if replacement players are announced or the team is announcing they are staying. The trumpet awaits.

The End.

8. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Been a while Trumpy! How about that draft??

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Yeah I been busy authoring some new software and college teaching anyway ...... plus the last time I was here a few panties were in a twist ... :)

I am happy with the emphasis on the draft = D. I do not watch college ball so input would not matter on the players. What the brothers do when they hit my field - the judging starts hard at that point. As I have stated - lines - horses - a mass o' beef. We need more help so this draft was not enough. We need to tap some free agent linemen to be serious otherwise, we will need one more draft to be considered elite.

Oh and Nate - well - I am holding out he will not be our Scotty Norwood of the West.

Your hate is pure - and - I saw BoltsForLife (who was banned here) in Temecula "Old Town" wearing a BOLTTALK T-shirt while pimping his services as a pedi-cab tour guide.

FREE BOLTSFORLIFE !!!!!!!!!

10. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Dude was a clown. If he ever offered up any discussion other than his non-stop pissing/moaning/whining/b_tching/broken record/one take BS, He wouldn't have been so intolerable.