1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

would anyone be surprised if the Chargers draft...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MasterOfPuppets, Apr 13, 2010.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    early

A WR (to replace VJ just like English was drafted to replace Merriman), a CB (to replace Cromartie) and then maybe a RB, S and fifth round and beyond linemen?

I'm not saying I'd like this but AJ never drafts who we expect, I can't see him drafting Mathews, Cody, Price, Tate, etc. like everyone thinks.

2. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    With how much this team is banking on PR being the "window of opportunity" for many years to come it wouldnt surprise me if we took a player or position we dont need.

AJ Smith is betting PR can get us there almost by himself. Expect a few reaches in this years draft that are low pay/low risk type drafts. Nothing thats really going to make a difference....

"With the 28th pic in the 2010 draft the San Diego Chargers select............. Buster Davis from LSU..... wait, wait... Sorry, San Diego, you drafted him in 07'. - Oh... in that case you'd like to trade your 1st and a 2nd next year for Jacob Hester?? ..... again, San Diego, you already drafted that player....."

3. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Really if no good RBs, OT, or NTs drop to up I wouldn't be opposed to it. I don't want us reaching for a RB/OT/NT just because we need one. If we could get Golden Tate I'd be pretty happy with it.

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    IN that case I would rather try to trade out of the 1st and get multiple picks in return rather than taking a player who will be wasted on the bench for a year or 2 like English and Cason did.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for drafting to fill future needs when there are no immediate needs, but we have had immediate needs (Mostly to upgrade backup players who are filling starting roles like Clary and Cooper). and continue to have those same needs along with new ones with the release of J-Wall and LT

5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    a KICKER???

:flag:

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I believe that we go defense first. Much beyond that, who knows? There are guys at every defensive position who will be available at 28 & quite likely an immediate upgrade. The only place that might be tough to break into is ILB - Siler should earn his spot as a starter & Cooper ain't going anywhere. :no:

Everywhere else we can get better & the opportunity is there.

7. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Wouldnt be surprised in the least. Considering AJ and also considering how he never picks a person any one fan has predicted for years. We may hit on the position of the player but seldom the name. I would like to see a WR around 4th or lower. SO who is on the Practice Squad still? Do we still have banks? If so I was saying last year I hoped he would get bumped up the roster and get his shot so maybe that happens this year.

I love that we really dont HAVE to take anyone top rated player at any position that wont be hard to come by. Depending on the NT or the NT on the roster like VM we could see a DTless draft.

8. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    :tup:

9. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    It would be nice to trade down, but only if there's an offer that's worthwhile.

Lets put it this way would you trade our 1st for a future 1st and mid 3rd this year (from a team that could potentially be a playoff team, say the Steelers, they may be interested in Tate now) or would you draft a WR like Tate.

10. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    I had AJ taking SM, Cro, and Cason. Buster was a surprise but I had us taking another LSU receiver (Bowe). Last year I knew we needed a OLB but I didn't think AJ would pick one in the 1st. Although Last year was the 1st time I really wasn't sure which way we'd go unlike the others where I got at least the position right.

11. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    We draft a WR in the first and I will throw my computer, along with my dog through the window

You have to realize AJ's tendencies are to "reach". According to all the "Experts", drafting Price and (definitely) Tate at 1&2 are both "reaches". I do not think AJ will draft Cody, it's just not AJ's style.-- He drafts Price/Odrick or Sean Lee in the first. Tate or Gerhart at 40. Then I have Troup or Joseph at 91.

12. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    There are plenty of WR who will be big help of ST's with our last 3 picks, no need to get a guy early that will not crack the lineup. Davis has to be vetted in live game action with the first team, that will happen this year.

Why do we need to replace VJ, he is not going anywhere, as long as Rivers is here so will VJ.

The guy I like the most who could replace Osgood as the gunner on cover teams, and also be in the mix for returns is Marcus Easley. He will go probally in the 5th round.

13. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Lesson Number #1 with a draft. Don't draft wr's early. They are sooooo iffy.

I doubt the chargers are even thinking of loosing VJ. They may trade sproles or merriman though. I'd hate to loose either. But a G.m. also has to look into the future. Which seems this is what this off season is all about. Setting up to be stronger in the years ahead.

If they trade sproles they could then go after cal's best. And if they trade merriman they could then go after weatherspoon or olb graham in this draft.

I'd guess the chargers will try and get a wr in rounds 4 and after.

14. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I think RB and NT are an absolute must with our first 2 picks, I'd be shocked if they went any other way. But after that any position is fair game.

I wouldn't be shocked if we spend the 91 pick on a WR like Andre Roberts. Or an OT like Tony Washington. Or a saftey like TJ Ward. Or a ILB like Jamar Chaney. Or a CB like Kevin Thomas. Or a TE like Dennis Pitta....etc...etc...You could justify almost any position after that.

15. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    or Dorin Dickerson.... or Brandon Spikes..... or my personal favorite TIM TEBOW!

16. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Dwyer could be there.:lol:

17. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Brandon LaFell or Danario Alexander might be WRs there

18. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Just do the right thing and draft Ryan Mathews! You guys are over-analyzing this too much! :lol:

19. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Ryan Mathews FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will be disappointed if we don't get him.. but then again it's AJ

20. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    While I don't think VJ will be going anywhere, Floyd is also at the end of his contract, and then you have Buster...

If there is a really good reciever availible at 28, and we don't see a rb, dt, cb, whatever our positions of need are percieved to be... I could see this happen.

And then, I'll make sure to watch the message boards melt down.

21. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Like golden tate. OR even better what if AJ trades sproles and a 3rd to move up and draft dez bryant?:icon_banana: talk about a melt down!

22. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    I think the problem might be that he'll get picked before 28. Nothing AJ can do then. Also not sure if I'm sold yet on him.

23. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    YES

WR this year isn't even that deep. A LB early might be more realistic. We get either a RB/OT/DL/NT that is all I really can see him drafting in the first.

There is so much quality in this draft at DL NT and RB a late first for one would be like a top 10 pick in next years draft where it isn't as deep. GMs look at upcomming drafts and the smart ones wait a bit until they see quality players.

AJ could be like the Lions and draft a WR every first round, then again we would be the Lions.

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    DL depth, yes. For a true NT - no. :no:

25. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    True, true NT is hard to find in general. This draft has some DL that can be rotated at that position.

Fact is NT will be the hardest to get this draft, and it is one of the harder positions to find a good player at in this NFL. Good thing we will be using a mix of 3-4 and 4-3.

26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Instead, we get a CB where we drafted 4 in the 1st round between 02 and 08. Yep, 4 CB's in a 6 year period.
    02- Jammer
    03- Sammy Davis
    06- Cro
    08- Cason

And people are talking about taking one again this year

27. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Off hand, what time does the draft start Eastern Time? Also, how much time are they gonna be given between picks? Hoping by the time the Bolts pick I won't be in bed already. You know us old folks.....early to bed early to rise. :lol:

28. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    7:30 pm Thursday night. Not sure of the pick length this year - I think 10 mins., but it could be 8. I know it was shortened.

29. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    :no: Crap! I can see me having to stay up pretty late to see their pick. Why the hell did they change the stinkin format?!? It was fine just the way it was.

30. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    Prime Time baby.. Prime Time..