1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Would it be worth it? Is it even possible?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by gettough, Apr 15, 2011.

1. gettough

gettough BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I want one of the defensive ends (Watt, Jordan, Wilkerson) in the first round. If we're able to to get one of them, do you think A.J. could trade up from 50 to the late first round to get Gabe Carimi? What would it take to do that?

2. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    AJ wouldnt draft a RT in the 1st round, let alone trade up to get one

3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,406
    Unless we can't retain Clary, there would be no reason to anyway. We have depth with Dombrowski, so RT just isn't a pressing need.

4. gettough

gettough BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Not likin the idea of Clary being the right tackle again. He don't cut it.

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,406
    He played every snap last season..... the only O-lineman to do so. He may never be a Pro Bowler, but Clary isn't a bad player.

Fans love to bash the guy, but they used to do the same with Jammer... #imjustsaying. ;)

6. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    agree 100%
    Clary sucks and is the weakest link of the whole team. We should of replaced him years ago, and until we do, he will continue to hold us back

7. gettough

gettough BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Carimi is the type of right tackle the offense needs. He mauls defensive linemen in the run game. Clary gets pushed around too much. If we get a stud right tackle, imagine how much that would help Ryan Mathews improve his numbers as a sophomore. If we can balance out the offense with a rushing attack similar to the one we had with LaDainian in his prime, just think of the possibilities, now that Rivers is one of the best quarterbacks/passers in the NFL.

That's why I've been hoping A.J. gets one of the defensive ends and then moves up from 50 into the late first to get Carimi. The question is how could he do that? Would he have to give up more than next year's first round pick?

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,406
    So were only going to run to the right side then? ;)

McNeill is no monster of a run blocker either. Face it, both our tackles are better as pass protectors then they are run blockers. Lets also not forget that McNeill gets a fair amount of help from Dielman..... Clary doesn't have that luxury.

9. gettough

gettough BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    McNeill is signed to a long-term contract; Clary isn't. May as well look to improve the line somewhere. Right tackle is a good start. I think Carimi could be a very good one for a long time. Clary is just a stopgap, to be kind.

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,406
    Personally, I think our defense is in more urgent need of an upgrade. I'm not sure ever need can be addressed in a single draft..... at least not with the higher picks. I suspect we will draft another tackle, but it probably won't be with a high pick.

11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,406
    TOP TACKLE PROSPECTS

EARLY

Tyron Smith, USC | 6-5, 307

Just 20 years old, coming out early. So strong (31 reps of 225) and quick (4.98 40-yard dash) and yet so raw, his natural ability and upside could make him the first tackle off the board.

Anthony Castonzo, Boston College | 6-7, 311

Other candidate to be top tackle taken, scored second-highest Wonderlic (41) at Combine. Might have topped out with his size and isn’t ideally strong, bringing up questions about his durability. Could be a right tackle.

Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin | 6-7, 314

Height and agility make him ideal left tackle – if he can be quick enough against speed rushers in the NFL. Regardless, seen as an immediate and longtime starter at one of the tackle spots.

Derek Sherrod, Mississippi State | 6-5, 321

Big wingspan, good skill set and extremely football smart. Needs to work on leverage and balance.

Nate Solder, Colorado | 6-8, 319

Former tight end is a natural pass blocker but is considered to need work on physicality.

LATER

Marcus Cannon, TCU | 6-5, 358

Might be a guard with that bulk. Can bench 500 pounds and do other amazing feats in the weight room.

James Carpenter, Alabama | 6-4, 321

A “value” pick if he goes in the mid- to late-second round. Might lack athleticism to play on the left, but has good technique and is a quick learner.

Orlando Franklin, Miami | 6-6, 316

Personally more comfortable at guard, where he played at Miami, but body type has NFL thinking tackle.

KEVIN ACEE

12. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    have you seen Clary's team photo?
    [​IMG]

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,406
    There are much worse players on the team than Clary. I fail to understand all the fan venom directed at him. He wasn't even the worst O-lineman last year..... not by a long shot.

14. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Give me ANY of those guys!
    (although not a big Solder fan)

15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,406
    Don't get your hopes up.......

Kevin Acee's Mailbag

Q: Mark S - 12:53 PM Apr 11, 2011

Hello Kevin, any consideration the Chargers would attempt to sign (once the NFL landscape gets back in operation) RT Ryan Harris from Denver? I'm hearing Denver won't attempt to re-sign him? Thanks.

A: Kevin Acee - 9:40 AM Apr 15, 2011

I don't think so. Haven't heard it, and I believe they will retain Clary.

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Me either, and I still don't like Dombrowski at Tackle either. He needs to be a guard

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    People bashed Jammer because of his PI penalties. People bash Clary because he sucks

18. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    All that that "confirms" as much as KA can be counted on for "confirming" anything, is that we're likely not going to look at Free Agent tackles unless it's re-signing our own - which is fine because despite being a "big name" Ryan Harris is not a great fit for our blocking scheme and wasn't nearly as effective in the power-blocking scheme that McDaniels force-fed his first year in Denver as he was in Shanahan's zone-blocking scheme.

Do I expect AJ to break from his M.O. and draft an RT prior to the 3rd round (late 2nd at earliest), much less trade back into the 1st round to get said player? Yeah... just don't see it happening. That doesn't mean I don't expect him to address the line in some capacity. As to the question in the OP with regard to what it would cost, and that's basically (since we won't be able to tradeplayers) BOTH 2nd's.

As to Clary... he's the Igor of the OL. He's gotten by for years because the coaching staff and front office "loves his potential" but he never realized his bloody potential. He's ungodly slow off the snap, his kick-slide is laborious and plodding (which for someone so "athletic" is absurd), and worst of all... he has absolutely no concept of "team blocking". He constantly strays off (and on numerous occasions just completely abandoned his assignment) to pick-up a late-blitzing LB or safety that wouldn't even normally be his assignment. There's a reason why Sproles (our best pass-blocking RB last year) almost habitually lined up on the right side on plays where he was expected to block first and play safety-screen second. And he can thank Clary for selling him out and taking what should have been Sproles' assignment (the LB or DB) and leaving 5'8", 200 pound Darren to block a 280+ pound defensive lineman.

Clary has value as a backup tackle and I still think as a guard - which eliminates the concerns about his kick-slide and boxes him in so he can't stray from his assignment - but there were times over the last two seasons that that guy had me wishing for Shane Olivea... let me say that again SHANE OLIVEA.

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,406
    I don't think Clary is nearly as bad as you make him out to be......... he's average, not terrible. Could we benefit from an upgrade at the position? Sure, but you could say that about quite a few others. I just don't see RT as a top priority in this draft. I expect we will take a tackle, but in the later rounds.

20. gettough

gettough BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    LMAO!

I agree that there are other bigger needs on defense. I want one of the top 3-4 defensive ends very badly, and a pass-rusher to complement Phillips is another big need. I just think Carimi could step in at right tackle and make multiple Pro Bowls over a long period of time. To me, that's worth trading next year's first round pick to move up from 50 to the late first if he's still there.

21. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    This!

22. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    But he's not great either. I think we keep Clary, but def find another stud RT to replace him. He's proven to be steady, but I've seen him get burnt by smaller quicker rushers. I mean they all do, but he tends to get burnt a lot and needs help. If only we could clone McNeil to play RT.....

23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    To me, trading any picks from next year is totally unacceptable. I hate trading future picks as it is difficult to predict the future, and having limited pick in future years really hurts a teams ability to address those unforeseen issues

24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    If only we would have drafted Oher instead of English

25. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I'll tell you how it's going to go down: With the first round pick, AJ will choose someone who spent a considerable amount of his college career injured and will leave us all scratching our heads.

26. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Yeah and Rivers took a carrer high in sacks and hurries....so whats your point? The game isn't played on paper these days, teams often move their best pass rushers to take advantage of the offenses weakest links. Woodley, Hali, Dumerville, Mathis and Richard Seymour have DOMINATED Clary in the past few years on the pass rush, and he has sucked equally in the run game. Its the kind of thing that always ends up getting exposed in the playoffs.

We have an immobile QB and a deep passing scheme, RT should be a high priority.

27. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555

We're in a very good spot as far as trades go.

Dallas 9: If they want to move down, falling to 18 would be ideal to take C Mike Pouncey or CB Jimmy Smith.
    Washintgon 10: This team needs everthing! QB, WR, DE, CB, OLB etc... I can see them at 18 taking Jacke Locker as a comparable player to Cutler.
    Detroit 13: CB is their biggest need and its too high for Jimmy Smith, 18 would be more pallatable.
    St. Louis 14: This is not a good draft for their needs (WR, S, OLB, RB, C) , if I'm their GM I move back a couple times and pad depth.
    Tampa Bay 20: If they love Akeem Ayers (which I think they do) they have to move up to 18 to lock him up for sure. NYG is also in the market for 4-3 OLB.

After us, 7 of the next 8 teams all run 4-3, they could be eager to jump up and secure a certain player.

28. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    You can go even higher, SF at 7 and Tenn at 8 are both in the market for QBs and will probably want to trade down to get a better value on someone like Mallet, Locker, Ponder or even Kapernick

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,406
    What if we drafted a NT instead of a DE?

If the best DE's are gone before we pick, why not take the best NT available? I've always thought that Garay was athletic enough to move to the end position if need be. If we could land a "man mountain" Jamal type NT, why not take him instead?

Just a thought. ;)

30. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    2 reasons
    1 - Garay was by far our best defensive player last year, why change his position for some rookie? I know hes a little old, but he doesnt have that many miles and should be our starting NT for atleast 3 more years if he can stay healthy
    2 - There arent any NT worth that 18th pick. I see some sites overrating Phil Taylor, but hes not a a top 20 player in this draft. To me, Stephen Paea would make a better NT (would need to gain some weight) than Taylor, and he can be had in the 2nd. Only other NT i woudl take in the first 2 days would be Kendrick Ellis, and again hes not a 1st rounder. Plus i think as a prospect Cam Thomas is just as good as Ellis