1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Would Jon Gruden be a good fit here in San Diego?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Nov 24, 2012.

1. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    and why do you care about that?

2. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +913
    He makes mean faces and is INTENSE. That's good enough for most Chargers fans.

3. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +913
    Gruden was handed a great team AND got to face a dream opponent. It couldn't have been much easier for him.

4. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    The Raiders? From 2000-2003 they should of had at least 2 Super Bowl appearances and 3 AFC conference games. They were screwed twice.. So to say that was a dream opponent isn't fair.. and Oakland had a pretty good defense..

5. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +913
    It was a dream opponent in that he knew their playbook. Bucs players were calling out plays at the line of scrimmage. A lot easier to beat your opponent when you know all of their plays, terminology, and tendencies, as evidenced by the number of interceptions.

6. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +913
    I'm not necessarily saying he isn't a good coach, I just think that he might be an overrated coach. His best play is to keep cashing ESPN's checks and keep his legend intact.

7. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    True.

Norv got handed a dream team too...and now it is time to rebuild; so sad!

I'm not sold on Chucky...but he would be entertaining...for a while.

8. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Being ultimately responsible for ones own actions doesn't negate the effect others still have on those actions. Especially if that "other" is in a position of leadership over you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    You have to ask?

I think his record speaks for itself.

10. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I agree!
    Everyone on the team owns the ultimate results. With that said the management team is ultimately accountable. If you don't WIN you lose. The only objective is to WIN. Not crossing the finish line is a team effort that the coaches/manager owns the most accountability. BOTTOM LINE!
    So, no coach is guilt free, they all own the blemish of this season. I don't feel sorry for any of them...clean house!

11. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,089
    So your trying to tell me that Norf tells his players ......

"Ok boys, lets go easy out the today, don't want anyone risking their health over a game of football"

Sorry, your way off the mark on this call mate........ A coach has absolutely NO influence over how much a player is willing to sacrifice his own body in a game of football, that's entire up to the individual them self.

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Actually, that's not what I'm telling you.

What I'm telling you is that he doesn't hold the players accountable. Or, at least, that's what I'm presuming.

You don't have to actively push being soft to let it happen.

Look, all I know is somebody who plays football for a living is typically not the "soft" type. It's a tough sport and those that succeed at it to the extent of being good enough to play in the NFL aren't going to be your pansy types.

So when year after year after year after year one team constantly gets a roster full of players playing soft I'm forced to believe it's a culture of the system. And when the system's culture is to blame the people in charge are the ones who take the blunt (re: not all of) of the responsibility.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Now that I can agree on Leo ....... Have been saying it for years that the "culture" Turner brings to the club has been nothing but detrimental and a major softening of the style of play that the Chargers now play.

See the point your making now, and YES, Turner is definitely responsible for letting players get away with anything less than 100% effort, but it seems that we don't have sufficient backups to be able to put these guys in their place.

And your right, I'd say 99.5% of NFL players are genuinely tough, no doubt, but there are a few out there who get by on "athletic ability" alone, who are shite scared when it comes to physicality of any kind.

ScareCro is the epitome of that statement......... And Cason isn't far behind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    Let me ask you then- How did Marty flush his Chargers teams down the toilet in the playoffs? Not talking about Byner fumbling Cleveland's chances away, just the bolts here.

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,670
    To get this slightly back on track, would anyone be interested in bringing JAY Gruden as the HC?

16. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    I would, but I think if you hire Jon you'll most likely get Jay. So.. it'd be a win-win

17. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    1st Marty Playoff Game vs Jets.
    How about Marty running on the field(during a punt) and getting a 15-yrd unsportsmanlike penalty in the 4th Q?

Putting the breaks on the O(calling a timeout when the Jets D was gassed) when we got within 40 yrds in OT, running 3 times up the gut and sending a rookie kicker out in the rain to kick the winning FG? (no pressure on the kid there eh Marty you ********)

18. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    But to the Topic, I would be happy with Gruden. Bring some attitude back to this team instead of the wet sock that is on the sidelines now.

19. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,777
    I jumped on the "Chucky" for coach thing a couple years back in fun and got a kick out of the doll, it would be cool to see the doll done up in Bolt gear though. I can't say that he'd be my top choice for HC but the more I read about him I can't but believe he'd be an upgrade. I'd still like to see the Chucky doll done up as a bolt, if nothing else it would be funny as hell.

21. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't know if Chucky is the best option. I also don't think that "being an upgrade to Norv" should qualify someone to be the Chargers' HC. I'd be a better HC than Norv, and have never coached football on any level.

22. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +127
    I agree that I am not sure if Chucky is the best choice, but I do think he would be better and different than Norv.

23. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629

My German next door neighbor, who has never seen an American Football game in her life, would be a better HC than Norv. This shouldn't be a qualifying factor.

24. Kayworks

Kayworks BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Classic #funnylike

Honestly, I would like just be able to see what a winning season is like again. This 4 - 8 and 4 and 29 8 and 8 are killers !

25. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    Marty gets the blame for bad playcalling in that playoff game, but not Cam Cameron? According to the majority here, Marty was just a puppet who let his coordinators do all the work. Which is it?
    That leaves a 15 yd penalty. That doesnt justify labeling Marty as someone who constantly flushed his Chargers teams down the toilet in the playoffs (two times). Is this penalty the reason why everyone here was calling for him to be fired after the '06 playoff game??