1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Would Randy Moss fit with the Chargers?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Would Randy Moss fit in San Diego?
    July, 18, 2011
    By Bill Williamson

I received several inquiries from San Diego Chargers fans since the agent of free-agent receiver Randy Moss said his client is poised for a big year in 2011 at the age of 34. This after a tumultuous 2010 season in which Moss’ numbers declined sharply as he played for three teams.

Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of Moss landing in San Diego:

Pros

He may be needed: There have been reports that No. 2 receiver Malcom Floyd will likely leave as a free agent, and there is still a possibility franchised receiver Vincent Jackson could be unrestricted, although that is unlikely. There have been reports the Chargers could pursue Carolina veteran receiver Steve Smith through a trade. Getting Moss as a free agent would be easier, and Moss could be a fairly inexpensive short-term answer.

He’d fit well with Philip Rivers: Rivers throws perhaps the NFL’s prettiest and best deep ball. Going vertical is Moss’ game. Moss is tall and fast, just the way the Chargers like their receivers. I think Rivers would be excited to throw to Moss (who played for San Diego coach Norv Turner in Oakland in 2005) for a season, as the Chargers try to cash in on their talent and advance to the Super Bowl.

Cons

He’s not an A.J. Smith-type player: San Diego general manager A.J. Smith usually stays away from players with reputations for being difficult. The Chargers have declined opportunities to pursue Moss in the past. Smith may again deem bringing in Moss as unbeneficial.

Chargers have a good locker room: The Chargers have a good, veteran-based team with solid chemistry. Bringing in a player with Moss’ past as a sometimes disruptive presence in the locker room may be frowned upon in the organization.

Conclusion: I think Moss, if he is not declining and if he is on his best behavior, could help a contender like San Diego. He’d make a potent offense even more dangerous, and Rivers would get him the ball. But, in the end, I think San Diego will stick to its course and not take a risky move like bringing in Moss, although there could be some temptation.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Not only no but oh hell no

A selfish self-aggrandizing punk whose talents can no longer cover for his poor attitude and work ethic. He got thrown out of both New England and Minnesota, why on earth would he be brought here?

3. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    [​IMG]

4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,411
  5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    They already have one of these type guys.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'd bring him in if he promises to crap in one of AJ's office flowerpots. :cool:

7. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    THIS!

8. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +348
    NO!

Who?

9. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    No. Next question.

10. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,411
    I'm assuming he means Vincent Jackson

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    the difference is that VJ actually is talented

12. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +348
    After I posted, I realized that he meant explosive talent. For some reason, I was thinking he meant a head case like Moss. DOH!

13. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Moss? You have to be kidding.

14. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    The only player I know that's been fired by his own mom.

15. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I thought that was Aqib Talib?...... or was that fired mom's gun?..... I forget. ;)