1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Would Reid + Chargers make sense?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by chargerlipz, Dec 3, 2011.

1. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Found this in ESPN Insider

Andy Reid | Eagles

[​IMG]
    Philadelphia Eagles coach Andy Reid is on arguably the hottest seat of his lengthy career in Philly, and San Diego Chargers coach Norv Turner and GM A.J. Smith are on their own flaming-hot seats (see below). If Reid steps away from the Eagles and Turner and Smith are shown the door by the Chargers' management, would it make sense for the Chargers to turn to Reid? ESPN AFC West blogger Bill Williamson things it would make perfect sense:
    - Tom Carpenter

[​IMG]

BILL WILLIAMSON

Would Andy Reid make sense in San Diego?
    "I think he would be a fit in San Diego if general manager A.J. Smith stays or if he is let go. Reid has worked with general managers in Philadelphia and he doesn't seem like he'd have a problem having a football boss. He'd be a good fit with quarterback Philip Rivers, and I think he could do nice things with the Chargers' offense. Reid, 53, is one of the more respected coaches in the NFL, thus, he'd likely be able to attract a strong coaching staff. Reid is from Los Angeles and would likely love to go to San Diego."​

2. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    I wouldn't mind him. He might be a good fit simply for the fact that he is a decent head coach presently and not an announcer that's been out of the game for to long.

3. L.T Bolt

L.T Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Idk... i honestly dont know... He has Lesean McCoy the NFL's leading rusher and he constantly throw, throw, throw... not to mention Vick is out and he''s opting to throw with the back-up Vince Young instead of giving it to McCoy.. a total of 20 carries in a two game span... im just saying if Andy Reid was to come to the chargers.. he may do the same constantly throw.. i would like our offense to be balanced to take some pressure of Phillip... but idk maybe Reid would be good ... maybe not

4. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    trade norm for norm east.

• Like Like x 1
  5. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Drunk's spot on. Get rid of Norv and grab Reid? Now THAT would be a waste of money. Reid isn't going to make a difference in SD.

6. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    Hell to the no!

7. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
  8. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
  9. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    No thanks.

10. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Why would we want our next coach to rival our current coach in poor
    game management during crunch time?
    Besides, getting away with the "jumpsuit look" in San Diego would be next to impossible.

11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Reid as an HC? Heck no. The man is as clueless and disconjointed as Norv when it comes to offensive playcalling and stubbornness. That said... Andy Reid as a Player Personnel guy with a different HC who still adheres to Reid/Bill Walsh's tenets? That's something I could live with. Rivers would flourish in a WCO - hell, the bastardization the Coryell Norvall has run in recent years proves just that. Fault Reid all people want, but he was never one to shy away from spending high draft picks on trench guys.

The issue with Reid is that he has no concept of defensive football - none, whatsoever. Once Jim Johnson died he was out on a limb just waiting for his fat butt to get blown off. He has the potential to be another Holmgren... he just needs to - like Holmgren - accept that his time coaching is done and he should be purely an FO guy.

12. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    I would bring him in if he wanted to be a GM.. he's good at drafting.. McCoy, Jackson, Celek, Chaney, Maclin, etc.

13. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Andy Reid is a very good coach. He has his teams always in the playoffs. This year the team reached on star power, and like soo many other teams that did that, they fell on their face.

Given good DC, OC and most importantly front office support I would not mind him out here. He will make the team tougher, and have good game plans in every game. That said, he would not be my top candidate for the position, but would be in the top 5.

His teams have:
    Finished with 10+ wins 8 times in 13 season
    Finsihed top 10 offensively (points) 7 times in 13 seasons
    Finsihed top 10 offensively (yards) 6 times in 13 seasons
    Finsihed top 10 defensively (points) 7 times in 13 seasons
    Finsihed top 10 defensively (yards) 3 times in 13 seasons

This is in the competitive NFC EAST, which during his tenure has had 3 teams make it to the super bowl (Giants x2, Eagles).

1999 he took his team to the divisional games of the playoffs (in 2000 by the calendar)
    00 he took his team to the Conference championship
    01 he took his team to the Conference championship
    02 he took his team to the Conference championship
    03 he took his team to the Super Bowl
    05 he took his team to the divisional games
    07 he took his team to the Conference championship
    08 he took his team to the wildcard games
    09 he took his team to the wildcard games

That is NFC Championship games 4 times in 13 season, a total of 19 playoff games played and 9 won. Sorry but I think that is pretty damn good. Does it mean he would recreate that success here? Possibly not, it also does not preclude that he might take this team further...

14. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    So, what about Reid as HC and bring in a much better DC?

15. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ason-record-is-not-as-good-as-everyone-thinks

Umm, yeah ill pass

16. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
  17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Everyone knows that Bleacher Report is a bastion of highly accurate, impeccably factual news.

Much like Faux except with writers who don't even get paid to make **** up. :laugh:

• Like Like x 1
  18. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Bleacher report? .. Please!

19. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    It's (BR) not any different than the slop they feed us at CBS, or NFL, or faux...
    ...btw, who else is excited about post-norvall? :p

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Bring him in as a OC, fine. No way do I want him as a HC

21. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    this

22. AlphaB°lt

AlphaB°lt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Has anyone mentioned, the entire NFL knows his playbook from top to bottom? And has not changed a single play (maybe through personel changes in plays) since his tenure in Philly?

I'd rather have someone new...COWHER!

23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    How is Cowher new with regards to the playbook? Because he's been out of coaching a few years? If anything, that likely qualifies him as being stale & still stuck in the Marty tradition of play calling.

24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Did you really put "Someone new" and "Cowher" in the same sentence? He may be new here, but he is far from new in the NFL

• Like Like x 2
  25. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    lmfao :roflmao: