1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Would Shawne Merriman be worth signing?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,208
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/47114/would-shawne-merriman-be-worth-signing

By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com

Fans of each AFC West team has asked me if I think former San Diego star pass-rusher Shawne Merriman would be a fit for their team.

Sadly, I don’t he’d fit in the division. I’m not sure if Merriman, who was cut by Buffalo on Monday, will ever be a factor in the NFL again. Merriman was one of my favorite players to cover when he was in San Diego. Good guy, passionate man and he was once an impact player.

But Merriman, 28, hasn’t been a productive player in five years. Merriman has played a total of eight games in the past three seasons and a total of 23 in the past five. Injuries have overtaken him. His last good season was in 2007.

I’ve love to see Merriman revitalize his career. But the odds are against him.

In other AFC West news:

Denver safety Quinton Carter and running back Ronnie Hillman returned to practice. Hillman will remain a backup. Carter lost traction in his battle with Rahim Moore to start at safety. Moore will likely be a starter at the begging of the season, but if he falters, Carter will get a chance to play.

The autopsy report on Junior Seau was released. He committed suicide May 2.

Planning on being unruly at an NFL game? It may cost you.

2. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +127
    Can we line SM up at LOT? Sign him!

3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,452
    Thank god........ at first I thought Conc was the author of the article....... whew!!!! :whistling:

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,208
    Didnt you see the post where I said I could do pissy... Dont get those golden showers going bub! ;)

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,358
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    In all seriousness, I've always liked SM...I'm not one of those obsessed with the
    banned substances suspension or the fact that he tried to avoid or postpone
    a surgery (which doctors said was not a risk to get worse by trying to play)
    so he could be on the field...or even the absurd allegations by nutjob Tia Tequila.

That said, if the Chargers had more roster room, and he could be signed for the price
    of an Andrew Walter away jersey, I'd actually consider giving the guy another shot.

But the recent need to hold open two unproductive slots, waiting for Mathews
    & Vincent Brown...have upped the price of each remaining slot...and there's just
    no way to justify spending a precious spot on a guy as risky as SM.

Just the same, I wish the man well. Merriman Game Day 2005 r.jpg

7. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,152
    beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +249
    I believe all we would get out of him at this point would be disappointment. Time for "Lights Out" to buy some tights and enter the world of Pro Wrestling.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    Don't we already have a constantly injured over hyped OLB already on the roster?

• Like Like x 4
  10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Bill Williamson should get a job he sucks less at. Or write for Bleacher Report.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +417
    Maybe we could get Matt Wilhelm back too! :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

12. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    Merriman was only dominate because of whatever it is he was taking... since hes been clean hes been garbage

13. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Peds or not I thing that Fissure he got during that Titans game is what did him in.;)

14. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,071
    That would have to qualify as the nastiest Anal Fissure known to mankind ..............5 years worth an counting ???

What exactly happened that night with Tila I wonder ???? ;)

Damn, I thought mine was murder and it only took a few days to heal up. :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1