1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Would you be upset if Singletary is the coach?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Shamrock, Feb 14, 2007.

?

Would you be upset if the Chargers pick Singletary as Head Coach?

Poll closed Mar 5, 2007.
  1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. No

48 vote(s)
    85.7%
  1. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    If "yes" then why?

Just curious, because it seems like most everyone likes the guy, even with a few reservations about his gameday coaching experience.

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +5,041
    Nope.

But I am afraid I will be if for some reason he is not our coach. I get good vibes from the man. He has a gleam! He has a gleam!

3. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Don't give him the curse of the gleam ok? I told trumpet man at the beginning of last season that he was jinxing the chargers by saying we would win the superbowl :icon_shrug:

4. ChargerRay

ChargerRay LA Chargers Suck! Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +925
    My gut tells me that he is not going to be our HC. But..we should make him our defensive coordinator.

5. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I've always liked him, just wasn't sure he's ready. I'm still not sure, but I'm closer to sure than I was yesterday.

I'm interested to see Rivera and Ryan's post interview clips with the media for comparison.

6. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    We can't make him DC.

He carries the "Asst. Head Coach" title with the 49ers. He can only be hired away as head coach. Also, even if he wasn't Asst HC, the 49ers are allowed to block his move to DC. Only HC candidates can not be blocked by their current teams.

7. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    :icon_rofl:

Oh yeah I voted no...

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Carpe Diem et omni Mundio Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +3,004
    UPSET - NO

I just think there are some better and more experienced candidates and that we might be falling in love with the fact that he was such a dominating defensive player

• Like Like x 1
  9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +5,041
    Shaddap! your to young to have an opinion on this!

:icon_tease:

10. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    fuc experience... no wonder you can't satisfy the women in bed you think you need another 10 years to master the art but you don't realize that the power is IN YOU :lama

• Like Like x 1
  11. ChargerRay

ChargerRay LA Chargers Suck! Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +925
    Damn. Didn't realize that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    It's not just his playing days, it's the way he carries himself and how he deals with people. He commands respect because he earned it. He oozes leadership.

13. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Shammy, I'd only like Singletary if we had somebody on the staff with head coaching experience. Maybe if you're the dregs of the NFL, you can take a chance, but with our promise and talent, it is too much of a leap of faith for me. Especially since we're already breaking in a rookie OC.

14. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I wouldn't be upset at all. I'd be pretty friggin excited, actually.

Ron Rivera has sort of fallen off my coach radar at this point. For me right now it's between Singletary and Ryan. Ryan interests me because he has a bit more experience and his 3-4 defenses have been just plain nasty. But that may not be enough of a reason to take him over Ryan.

I'm going to be pissed if we hire Norv.

15. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Like folks have said. Singletary ooszes leadership and respect.

If they find someone better he'll have to be pretty amazing.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Logic says you're right, but my gut is telling me that it might be a mistake to pass on Singletary and his leadership skills.

Marty had tons of experience, and that got him an 0-2 playoff record in San Diego.

Pat Kirwan has talked about how many coaches hire an extra "Quality Control" guy who specializes in gameday decisions. Stuff like when to call timeouts, the 2 point chart, etc .... He is in the booth to remind the HC about those things (via the headset radio).

People thought the Jets were nuts for hiring a young guy with only one year as a DC, but that worked out good.

Singletary has that "it" quality. Does that make up for the lack of gameday experience as a coach? I'm not sure.

Of the mentioned candidates that will interview, only Norv Turner has been a head coach in the NFL (Gary Gibbs a head coach at the U of Oklahoma). I don't want either of them. None of the other coaches have had to decide on 4th and 2, or when to call a timeout, or .....

There are three very good candidates (Singletary, Ryan, Rivera) and it's all going to come down to their interviews with AJ and Dean. I'd love to be a fly on the wall ......

• Like Like x 1
  17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    If he can work and co exist with AJ... I'll be happy!!!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    It's between Singletary and Rex Ryan in my mind. I think they're both great candidates. Reading over at the Ravens forums they have an "awww ****!" reaction to us interviewing Rex. They think it will be a blow to them and a boon to us. So this thing ain't over yet.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I think Singletary would make a good yes man :yes:

Because AJ runs things around here :tup:

Go Bolts :bolt:

20. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +223
    I would prefer Rex Ryan, but Singletary wouldn't make me cry in my beer.

I just think that Ryan has a Belichick-like mastery of defenses, which I think would be awesome to see in San Diego.

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +5,041
    How much head coaching experience did Bobby Ross have before we gave him the job, or coordinator experience. I suppose your counting college, then.

But this team has everything it needs but a firm leadership that will look them in the eye and say "Lok at me Darayton, look at my eyes. Now you know what you did is wrong, and it hurt the team. I dont want to see any more of that." Not yelling, but holding the players accountable. Mike can do that. he can give the your players a spark. I think there are some 'undefinable' qualitys he brings (yes my gut feeling), that will lend themselves to making him a great HC. Besides a lot of people didnt think Del Rio had enough experience.

Players I think make good coaches, because they have been in the system soo long. Quality players have to be coaches on the field, so I think Mike will do well.

Besides, in our system, the coordinators are the ones that need the experience IMO.

22. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Hell no I wouldn't be upset if Singletary wasn't chosen for HC. I think he'd make a fine HC but so would several others, including Rex Ryan.

The posters on the Ravens boards seem to be holding their breath on this one in hopes that Ryan isn't snatched away from the team.

Should make things interesting if he were to be here in SD with his brother coaching for our "hated" rival, the Turds.

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +5,041
    Hire BOTH Rex and Mike as CO-Head Coaches then!

:abq2: Win Win babay!!!! Uh-huh! Uh-huh! Uh-huh! Uh-huh! :abq2:

24. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    ;)

I say keep taking/making the phone calls, Bolts... Keep lookin'. Singletary and Ryan aren't going to go anywhere while you make sure you're interviewing all of the qualified candidates.

They'll both make fine HC, IMO... but so will many others....

25. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +223
    Mike Singletary - Head Coach
    Rex Ryan - Assistant Head Coach - Defense
    Norv Turner - OC

:icon_toast:

I know, I know, never happen. But it's nice to think about. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +5,041
    My siggi says it all!

27. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I think if Rivera gets hired he'd take Singletary as his DC........either way we get Mike, which I think would be a stroke of Genius again by AJ. What we need is a leader in a HC, he will trust the good coaches already in place. I agree, Singletary has the "it" and its faith...much like Cameron it will serve him well wherever life takes him.

I don't think we need Ryan's arrogance.............if he is anything like his Dad.....I think that style clashes with AJ.....................but we'll see.:abq2:

• Like Like x 1
  28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +5,041
    We cant hire Mike without the 49'ers letting him go. He carries the title of Assistant Head Coach, so we can only hire him as HC without permission of the 49'ers.

29. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Yes.
    I believe that a HC should have OC or DC experience. Why was he passed up for the DC position in SF??

30. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Mike Singletary OR Jimmy Johnson - Head Coach
    Rex Ryan - Assistant Head Coach - Defense
    Clarence Shelmon - OC

I would be happy with this set up. :helm1: