1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Would you have benched Plummer??

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by When Lightning Strikes, Dec 5, 2006.

?

What would you have done with the broncos???

Poll closed Dec 13, 2006.
  1. Keep Plummer in as QB, its stupid not to.

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Play the Rookie and prepare for next season.

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Elway didnt retire, he just graduated...put John in the game!!!

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  4. Who cares anyways, its just the Dirty Donkies!!!

11 vote(s)
    40.7%
  1. When Lightning Strikes

When Lightning Strikes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    i say let The Snake finish the year out and then teach the rookie in the offseason. Especially when you are on your way to the playoffs...

What would you do???

2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I am not so sure Denver was convinced Plummer could lead them to the playoffs again.

Plummer was horrible and was making rookie mistakes after umpteen years in the league. It was time to make a change which basically throws in the towel for their season.

It is better to get Cutler his reps now for next year.

It was a good move for the Broncos.

3. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    But the fans in Denver agree with his pulling Plumber, and sticking Cutler in.

But now it is showing that it does not matter who is in there, The Dunk's suck, they changed the rules that the Oline can block with.and now they cant cheat, so now they have to win with ability, and they dont have it.

4. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    It was a good move for the Chargers :tup:

5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,720
    I think it was the right move, with a bad result.

6. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    everyone knows you cant win with a "rookie" Quarterback playing :lol:

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,641
    but you can't win with a ROOKIE QB

8. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Part of Cutler's off-season training will be therapy and medication to make the "Bad Man" go away, after he meets Mr. Merriman.....:icon_mrgreen:

9. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,374
    The Rat never should have signed Jake Plumber.

10. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    If my goal was to do everything possible to make the playoffs, no, I wouldn't have benched Plummer.

If my goal was to get an early start on Cutler's development, then yes, I bench Plummer.

I still find it hard to believe that someone as smart and experienced as Shanahan truly believes putting a raw rookie in charge of his offense gives him a better chance to win now. Granted, Plummer was no golden child, but he also isn't exactly surrounded by an all-pro cast.

I think Shanny's hand was forced by the fans and local media in Denver...he was feeling the pressure and made the move. Now he has to live with it because he already said he's not going to get in the business of "revolving QB's."

11. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    That Rat is not stupid. He knew after the Charger game that his team has more problems than just QB. Defensive collapses and an inability to run the ball consistently wouldn't allow them to win it all. So he's clearly eyeing this as an opportunity to get better for next year. If they make the playoffs, it's a huge bonus because now Cutler not only has starting experience, but postseason experience as well.

Their best shot at winning a title with Jake at QB was last year. They pissed it away at home. He's just praying now that Cutler is going to be everything they thought when they drafted him.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Yup, and if you looked at Denver top-to-bottom, it was becoming pretty obvious that even if they made the postseason this year they weren't going to go very far.

Denver fans are still suffering a John Elway hangover, and they've forgotten that not only was Elway one of the best all-around QB's ever to step on a field, but they also don't have the same support cast that Elway had when he won his two superbowls. Rod Smith is still there, but he's an old guy now, not the all-around threat he was then. Ed McAfree is gone. Terrel Davis is gone. Shannon Sharpe is gone. Their o-line is no longer as strong and as balanced. They really have one offensive weapon in Walker, and opposing defenses are starting to double him to take him out of the mix. Their running backs would be mediocre in anything other than Denver's zone-blocking scheme. Their o-line can't pass-block.

They just aren't as talented as the elite teams in the NFL. I think it's hard for Denver fans to acknowledge that fact since they've been solid for quite awhile. Their defense is solid but their offense is probably one of the least talented in the NFL, and that's surprising for a Shanahan-coached team.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    I dont think anyone has said it any better then this

14. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Very well put!

15. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,374
    The Rat IS stupid for taking a Turd like Plummer in the first place and thinking he could shine him up into Joe Montana. He was stupid to think that his aging, marginally talented offensive line could continue to cheat their way to success. He was stupid to think that the inconsistent Tatum Bell and a couple of UFA could be enough at running back. He was stupid to rely on a bunch of crappy Cleveland castoffs on the DL. Etc., etc., etc.

The Rat's tragic flaw is hubris. He fails to see it was less his genius and more Elway's and Terrell Davis' greatness that enabled him to win a couple of championships. He thinks that he can "coach up" anyone into a competent starter, like a rookie from Vandy. People marveled at Cutler's stupid mistake, when he tossed up that pick six, but I marveled at the Rat's arrogance/stupidity. What the hell was he doing having Cutler drop back to pass deep in his own end with a 10-0 lead and Seattle's offense playing like krap?

The Rat proudly proclaimed that he didn't dumb down the playbook at all for Jay Cutler. That's just retarded. I know Jay's very smart, but you can't expect any QB to digest a huge offensive playbook in six months. He's just not ready for the whole playbook.

If the Rat did just a little bit to protect Cutler, like Fisher has done for Vince Young, the Donks could have very easily won last week, but he's far more interested in proving his greatness to everyone.

16. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,628
    Playing a Rookie QB when you are in the hunt for a division title tells me exactly how much Shanarat knows.

Nothing. I am gonna enjoy watching that kid run around the stadium trying to hide for #99, and #56, and #95, and #93, and #76, ect.