1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Would you like to draft Marcus Mariota?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by VenomSyndrome, Jan 15, 2015.

1. VenomSyndrome

VenomSyndrome Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I know there is glaring holes we need to fill, so this is a pure whip cream on top discussion. My thought behind this is what if we drafted him and he pulled an Aaron Rodgers and sat till Rivers retires. I think a lot of rookies get forced into the NFL meat grinder that ends up spitting them out on the street. I think the reason Rodgers is so successful is that he sat and learned a lot from Favre. I also believed is helped feul his drive. Not taking anything away from Rodgers skill, but it takes a very special player to play quarterback as a rookie.

2. Boltz_from_Oz

Boltz_from_Oz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +143
    Never played a pro system. Never asked to stay and throw from the pocket, so struggles to go through progressions. You'd probably have to change your offense completely to suit his style. The read-option does not last in the NFL where the defense are bigger and hit harder. You'd be asking for your most valuable asset to place himself in the line of fire too often. Jameis Winstons game transfers in to the pros much more smoothly and will go first pick in the hope that he actually grows up.

Cardale Jones is a better 3 year development option than MM in my opinion.

2 things Rodgers learned by sitting behind Favre.....1) revamped his throwing style apparently and improved it immeasurable (as stated on Daniel Jeremiahs "Move the Sticks" latest podcast). He wasnt such a dynamic passer in college. 2) Learnt to protect the ball and NOT throw interceptions, knowing how the crowd and the bench would react when Favre threw yet another interception (admitted by Aaron Rodgers himself.)

3. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Great post and replies.
    Like the OP says, many other more pressing needs, so we don't need to get sidetracked on the beef topic...there are numerous other threads that are covering that to death.
    I've no doubt Telesco and company are considering multiple scenarios for the big question, "What if a perceived future franchise quarterback fell to slot #17, or within spitting distance?"
    Could Mariota be the kind of guy you could groom by sitting him behind PR and exposing him to NFL speed and the pro system? My guess is f*** yeah!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    He'll be long gone before we draft anyway

5. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    O-line please.......

Preferably Optimus Prime as a center....

[​IMG]

6. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    Can Mariota play Center?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
  8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Maybe next time.

9. gonzokrb

gonzokrb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64
    No Freeking Way! Unless we can get Optimus Prime. No OL = Beat up QB

10. VenomSyndrome

VenomSyndrome Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Since it seems the sprit of the post cannot be understood let me rephrase! We went back in time and cloned the great wall of Dallas for our offensive line and we have the 2000 Baltimore ravens defensive now would you like to see mariota sit and learn behind PR? Come on guys think outside the box.

11. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +241
    If he were there at 17, I would absolutely take him. I don't think you can pass on a potential franchise QB if he's sitting there when you draft, unless you already have a young one in place (Luck, Wilson etc). He could sit behind Rivers for a year, plenty of time to work out his kinks (taking snaps under center, going thru progressions, learning a pro style offense etc), then take over in 2016. Rivers isn't getting any younger, I think it would be an ideal situation. As far as o-line goes, who says you can't plug in a free agent or two or draft in the second or third round? Centers like Erving, Grassu or Dismukes should be available in the second and plenty of good guards (Jackson, Tomlinson) should be available in the third. Just because its a need, doesn't mean you have to take it in the first round, if value at another position trumps it

12. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Forget it. Just forget it. It's like trying to teach pigs to fly. You gotta give into it, go with the flow, learn how to fight fire with fire. Here's a sample:
    Only if the if the 2000 Baltimore Ravens Defense can play OL!
    See how easy that was?
    Now go out and use what you've learned to destroy all other threads!

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I get that we need linemen but what if I told you that the NFL draft has 7 rounds?

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    We also have over $30M in open cap space. (or will, after we cut Jarret Johnson)

15. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
  16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Yes, we

Don't lecture me about living vicariously through the Chargers. I'm part of the team, dammit!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Boltz_from_Oz

Boltz_from_Oz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +143
    No. He's not a pro style QB and wont make it past 5 years as a starter. No option read QB ever has in the NFL. The defenses are bigger, smarter, faster and hit harder...just as RG3 and Johnny Manziel are finding out. Even Cam Newton, who has a good size to take the hits is starting to get beat up. Has little to do with the o-line and more to do with their first instincts to run out of the pocket, rather than progress through their reads. The big hits come when they run, not from getting sacked....and once their mobility is gone, so is their game because they lack the pin point accuracy needed for the NFL.

In the NFL the running lanes are smaller and close quicker, and the windows are much tighter to throw in to. He might be of great maturity and character...but so is Tim Tebow. The big beefy Ohio State defense (who try and play a pro style D) gave a glimpse to MM of what it will be like in the pro's...only it will be far worse.

Marcus Mariota will be a wasted pick by a desperate team who really have little choice, because thats the style of QB the college system keeps giving them. But the pro style QB will get picked first - Luck before RG3, Bortles before Manziel, Bradford before Tebow, Winston before MM.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. And_1

And_1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I wouldn't if he was there at 17... I would think about it in the second and jump to get him on the third. That's just my mindset on it. Seems like a good guy. Best thing that could happen to him would be to slip it get picked up by a team that wants to in no way play him at all the first year until the last two games of the season if anything. I hope he is s good player but I kind of have my doubts. There's some guys that I just get s gut feelin won't do good at all in the pros, he isn't disaster level: Johnny Football but I see him as journeyman QB...

19. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +136
    I have to seriously disagree with your assessment and just pure assumption of him as a running QB. The biggest thing i've noticed from him is that he's more Russell Wilson or even Rodgers when running. He doesn't take big hits almost ever, because he's smart when he runs. He leaves the pocket to throw not run, and while he sometimes does run, he's smart about it, usually sliding down once he gets the yards.

The whole OSU defense thing is a joke. He was playing without his top 4 receiving targets for the year (and was already missing his top receiver going into the year), and got absolutely no help (lots of really plainly dropped passes).

But IMO, he'd be a great fit for this offense, we throw a lot of short, timing routs, that lets the QB make quick precise decisions, and do a lot of the work before the snap.

I do think that he'd benefit (ala Rodgers) to sit a year, or 2, and improve his bulk, understanding of an NFL offense and some lower body stuff that will make him more accurate. But i'm not entirely sure i'd take him at 17. I want to say yes, but it would be a REALLY tough decision. It depends on who's there for me.

20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Rivers is 33 years old.

If I felt Mariota could be a star in the league I'd take him in a heartbeat if he were still there at 17 and give him the Rodgers treatment.

Yes, I know, we have to field a team of 26 offensive linemen and 26 defensive linemen if we want to win a Super Bowl because "TRENCHES AND BEEF!" but at the end of the day somebody has to throw the ball and in 3-5 years that won't be Rivers anymore. If we can avoid the inevitable completely ****** season to land at the top of the draft and hope that happens to be a draft that produces an Andrew Luck I'd love it.

All of that being said, I'm not so confident in my football scouting ability to really know if Mariota would be that guy.

• Like Like x 2
  21. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    He should just stay in school one more year and hone his skills.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    No, to many needs and Rivers still has 3-4 years left, I'd rather draft Cardale Jones next year (not in the first round) and sit him for 2 years

23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Considering the overall track record of QBs and where they're drafted, if we're going to draft a QB before Rivers retires with the intent of sitting him for a few years I'd much MUCH rather take one that falls in our lap in round 1 over a 2nd or 3rd round QB.

And don't bring up Tom Brady or Kurt Warner. They're the exception to the rule, not the norm.

24. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    I would if i thought he could play left tackle.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Andres M188

Andres M188 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    I think it depends on what we do in free agency. If we can anchor down a quality player for the defensive and offensive line, we might as well stash him. This also depends on what Telesco thinks of him. So far with these two drafts under his belt, I trust his decision making and ability to evaluate talent.

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Why does everyone assume linemen can only be found in round 1?

That's not to say if a surefire lineman (or as close to surefire as you can get in the draft) is available at our pick in round 1 that I'd feel comfortable passing on him for a QB we're going to mold over time, but at the same time I'm not going to sit here and blindly say "draft linemen there or you suck" when there's no telling what the pool will look like when our pick comes up.

I don't believe in drafting strictly for need in lieu of best player available because that leads to reaches in the draft (like Jonas Mouton)

27. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I wasn't very impressed with how he looked in a championship game, if that's his best he should stay in school he needs the work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    May I bring up Dan Fouts or Russell Wilson? They were both 3rd round draftees, just sayin'...

29. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Again, exceptions to the rule.

If you actually look at the entire field you'd see that late round QBs that succeed are the rarity.

The vast (BY FAR) majority of QBs who have even a medium level of long term success in the NFL were drafted in the 1st round, or maybe the top of round 2.

If you don't believe me just look it up.

Trust me, I did. I have this opinion primarially because someone challenged me to actually look it up when I'd in the past bring up guys like Brady and Kurt Warner in these discussions.

30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Heck, just looking at this season alone 21 of the 32 QBs who started the last game for their respective team were drafted in the 1st 40 picks of the draft....and that's counting Chase Daniel (undrafted) for KC over their real starter who was the #1 overall.