1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Would you pay 10,000$ or more for the right to buy your season tickets?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by House of Hayne, Mar 15, 2015.

1. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    spending 10,000$ Or more, to just have the right to, then spend more money to get my season tickets makes my blood boil
    Their is no way in hell I will spend that
    I will buy single game tickets the first year and then rebuy season tickets after that
    It's unfair to ask that much of season ticket holders
    This will be my 11 year as a season ticket holder and it will stop if this happens
    What do you guy think
    Am I crazy ?
    This is what the other new stadium builders have forced upon the season ticket holders
    Hope that doesn't happen if the Chargers get a new stadium

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  2. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    I think you answered your own question there mate.

Ofcourse they will, that's the whole idea of PSL's to begin with.

3. House of Hayne

Ratings:
    +204
    That's how I feel but I just wanted to know how everyone here feels

4. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Have PSL's even been mentioned with the proposed San Diego stadium? If you have a link siting that will happen, please post. Everything I've seen so far has said PSL's won't work here.

Now, if the Chargers move to Carson, then I can see the PSL's coming into play.

Also, I've been a season ticket holder since 2000.

5. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Maybe my memory is completely shot, but since the 1960s when I started going to games, I don't recall seeing a lot of Mercedes, Audis, and Lexus' in the parking lot...mostly pickup trucks, SUVs, and mid-priced cars.
    I see fans in t-shirts, not dress shirts. I see barbequed burgers and paper plates, not chateaubrinand and fine china.
    And by the way, it's beer, not Bordeaux.
    The working class has supported this team for 50 years, some might say endured this team for 50 years, and now we're being asked to shoulder a potential half-billion dollar share of a new stadium, pony up $10k or so for PSL, and buy season tickets?
    Hopefully, the wine and cheese crowd will roll up their Brooks Brothers shirtsleeves and phone their investment bankers to make this happen. The beer and pretzel crowd? Not so much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
  7. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    I've had 4 season seats for over 10 years. It would be hard for me to justify spending that much...

Would probably pass on season seats and just buy individual games.

8. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    i hear the moving truck backing up...

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    The only PSL mentioned thus far is in LA.

I still dont get how PSLs have worked... I know I would not have paid for the 'honor' of paying again for season tickets...

Anthony G. Manolatos ‏@tonymanolatos 4h4 hours ago
    PSLs (adjusted 4 inflation) according to @ebruvold:
    Dallas $651M
    SF $500
    Giants $439
    Jets $375
    Packers $127
    St. Louis $129
    Minny $125M
    #csag

So looking at the Giants and Jets as an example, the stadium if the Chargers & Raiders (still sick at that idea) were to share the stadium would double down on the PSLs with each team selling PSLs to their fans...

So unless the Stadium Advisors Group tosses PSLs into the ring in SD, there is no current plan I know of to start charging them...

10. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Conc, take a good look at that list of franchises that charge PSL 's and tell me the one thing they all have in common, apart from the Pack, who aren't a privately owned corporation anyway.

They ALL have had new stadiums built in the last 20 years ......

So you think we'll be able to somehow escape the PSL's trap ? ...... It's almost a 100% given that it's part of the agreement for any new stadium being built and there's no way San Diego avoids it, regardless of what the talking heads tell us now, surely no one can be that naive.

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I think it is naive to think that SD fans would pony up the money.

There are 15 stadiums that have PSLs of one sort or another and some of those are having hard times selling them. They are trying to say it is an 'investment' an investment that for the price of $500 - $10,000 (average $2,500) in Minnesota, you get the honor of paying for season tickets... No ticket. It is that cost per seat.. And what does that give you, 8 days a year to sit in a crowd that is made up of a bunch of fans from the other teams. Then if you don't renew your tickets, the PSL reverts back to the team, without them giving you a dime. That is an investment maybe, an extremely poor one.

I think if the Chargers did try to enact a PSL in SD we would probably not see another game on TV from the boarder to north of Big Bear... And east to who knows where...

12. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    I would hope you are right Conc, if fan's banded together and said, "NO, we aren't paying exuberant prices to watch football", then where would that leave the team ?...............but the simple facts are, that will never happen, as seen by the city's that have offered up PSL's in the past and had no trouble selling them, fan's see it as their only choice and rather than question it or lobby against it, there will always be that element of supporters who are more than willing to pay whatever the cost to say they "have one".

Whether it be because they are diehard football fans or whether it be just another way of flaunting one's wealth and standing in a community, it's really no different than having the largest home in the street or the most expensive car..............................people love to be able to show off what they own and let's be honest, if you can afford a PSL every year, there wouldn't be to many investments other than a house mortgage, that would cost more than a seat for 8 games of football per year, which is outrageous if you really think about it.

PSL's are the greatest ripoff I've ever come across in regard to attending a sporting event ..................having seen it firsthand when the Rams moved to St Louis in the 90's and then slowly understanding exactly what and how they worked once the media started reporting how you would go about obtaining a season ticket.

Firstly you would submit an application along with a payment of I believe it was a $1000, which is non refundable if you weren't successful I might add, then if you are lucky (?) enough to be allotted a ticket, you are then up for another cost as a season ticket holder at whatever the going rate of a seat was and I'm sure that was determined by its location no doubt.

So as you can see, you are basically buying a raffle ticket, to win a raffle ticket to enter the Big Prize draw, how it's legal I have no idea, but I never heard of anyone challenging the legality of it, so I guess that's just how it is and peeps accept that as the cost of watching football live at the venue these day's.

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I share your concern Jacko... I can only say that I do not believe that smaller market teams like Jacksonville or the Titans have PSLs.

I would hope that the Chargers would see PSLs as detrimental. Then again they may realize that and move to LA in part because of it...

14. House of Hayne

Ratings:
    +204
    I spoke to my rep at the chargers and he said that they are looking into any way to get a stadium done and that might include a PSL
    And so I told him that would be the end of my run as a season ticket holder
    If this happened and he just said that it would be unfortunate for Me to leave
    And hopes that it doesn't come to that

I don't know if he talked to his upper management but maybe if we all say something it might make a difference
    But I still want a stadium so I will buy single games

15. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Teams that have PSL's:

Atlanta Falcons (Effective at new stadium only - set to open 2017)
    Baltimore Ravens
    Carolina Panthers (first NFL team to do so)
    Chicago Bears
    Cincinnati Bengals Technically not a PSL but a COA (Charter Ownership Agreements)
    Cleveland Browns (Retired their PSL fees in 2013)
    Dallas Cowboys SL (Seat Licenses)
    New York Giants PSL
    New York Jets PSL
    Houston Texans PSL
    Philadelphia Eagles SBL (Stadium Builder Licenses)
    Pittsburgh Steelers SL
    San Francisco 49ers SBL (Stadium Builder Licenses)
    Seattle Seahawks CSL (Charter Seat Licenses)
    St. Louis Rams PSL
    Tennessee Titans PSL

16. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,581
    That being said, it would depend on what the PSL would cost for me. Paying 5 figures is something I wouldn't pay.

17. House of Hayne

Ratings:
    +204
    San Diego Chargers FML ( Free Money Licenses)
    Or FTF. (Fuc& the True Fan)

18. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    The question of whether or not I would pay 10,000 or more for PSLs (assuming I was even in position to buy season tickets, but that's besides the point) is irrelevant because I simply would not afford to pay that.

Is the target market here millionaires? Who, even in the middle class, can afford to drop 5 figures?

19. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
  20. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Well mate, I know you do, none of us in here ever want to see the Chargers anywhere but San Diego, but it's different times these day's and the hard facts must be faced, whether we agree or not.....................sucks the Big One for sure, but there's nothing I can personally do about it, so it is what it is.

Read up a little on the above thoughts you mentioned ........

As far as Jacksonville is concerned .............

So, a lousy 60 mill. was all the City needed to contribute, pittance compared with what San Diegoens are being asked to chip in...............
    Also, the stadium contains 11,200 club seats, 88 luxury suites, and 1 super suite, no mention of PSL's, but I believe (and may be wrong about this point) that the Rams in St Louis may have been the first too introduce the PSL idea.

As for the Titans .............

Again, much lower asking price from the public, but that's to be expected over 20 years ago....................but as you see, they DO have PSL's, so as of 1995, NO new stadiums have been built that are NOT PSL approved.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  21. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Short answer ?.......YEP !

Exactly .....................the hardcore, average Joe Bloggs will have no choice but to buy single game tickets from your Stubhubs or whoever and you can only imagine what they'll be able to charge ...................

May well pay to become a professional scalper in San Diego ................................Hmmmmmmmmmm, now there's a thought.

22. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Ahhh, I missed this earlier and indeed the Panthers were the first team to introduce the concept and the Rams soon followed.

I also found it rather interesting to find out that the acronym PSL has in fact 2 meanings, not just 1 as I had previously thought all these years.

The "P" can stand for either Permanent or Personal Seat License depending on the team you support.

Anyone interested to see what the cost of PSL's is around the league or certain teams, checkout this website below.

http://www.pslsource.com/buy_nfl_psl/

Cowboys might be the best to look at, seeing as the cost of our new house is likely to equal or surpass their monstrosity.

If your too lazy to bother, let me give you a hint as to what a seat at field level on the 5o yd line will set you back..........

Now don't dally, only 6 seats available if you have a cool $45,000-60,000 sitting idly around the lounge room.

And remember, that price DOESN'T include the cost of your season ticket's, so bring along a little more cash to cover those as well. ......... and remember, Jerrah loves Y'all !!!! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  23. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    There ya go ....... now piece it all together. ;)

24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    good to know thanks.

25. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Again, it's all about what you want to to pay. For me, if there are PSL's, it'll be how much they want to charge and if they'll let you spread out that fee over time. I know that's what they did with the Jets & Giants. The Jets even had to cut their PSL fees in half in some areas as fans weren't willing to pay that much.

One unfortunate truth : PSL's seem to work. In Dallas, the PSL fees can be as high as 6 figures. The 49ers new stadium also has them. And last I checked, both of those stadiums are 100% sold out via season ticket holders.

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Dallas actually had banks on site at the new stadium to walk people through the PSL process and process loans for them. Again, trying to sell it almost as a time share investment... :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  27. House of Hayne

Ratings:
    +204
    I wouldn't be against it if it gave free season tickets with it:rolleyes:
    For as long as the amount total was = to the years as a season ticket holder
    So if they want 10,000 I want 5 years of tickets

28. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    $10,000 is about 1/4th or 1/5th the cost of a house in my area and they're going to expect people to pay that much just for the right to pay them another nearly 1,000 for their tickets?

It's not enough to have taxpayers in general footing the bill they have to get even more for ti?

I don't even get how it works. It's likely cheaper to buy 8 single game tickets than it is to buy season tickets on top of the PSLs.

29. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I'm just thinking of the home theater system you could build with that money.

30. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,024
    Or spending it all on partying, snorting Pepsi and having whocares in your imaginary pool :)