1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Would you take him in the 2nd Rd?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by And_1, Apr 8, 2016.

1. And_1

And_1 BoltTalker

Jan 27, 2014
    Lets say you are the GM of the Chargers. Would you take Jaylon Smith in the second round if it was guaranteed he would miss the upcoming season but had no nerve damage?

Back to reality question, do you think he has nerve damage? Reading an article on Yahoo! Sports, it would not surprise me if he did.
  2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Aug 14, 2006
    If it was guaranteed that he'd be back to the player he was projected to be by 2017, I would.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Oct 23, 2011
    If it was guaranteed he would be back to 100% but would miss all of this upcoming season I would definitely take him but I also doubt he would last until our 2nd round pick if this was the case.

I definitely believe he has some kind of significant issue and I wouldn't be surprised if he has a career similar to Marcus Lattimore based on just how bad many of the reports have sounded.
  4. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Jun 28, 2010
    As was already said, would I spend the pick with that knowledge? Yes. However, if that knowledge was available to all teams (which it would be because it would come out in these upcoming April re-checks), he wouldn't make it out of the bottom of the 1st round. A team like Carolina who has the luxury of an aging Thomas Davis to sit him behind for a year would snatch him up. I could even see a team like the Falcons valuing him like Seattle did Bobby Wagner for the central cog of their defense - having Weatherspoon to band-aid for a year.

As to whether I think there's long term nerve damage (because make no mistake, he suffered nerve damage, it's just a matter of how much and how quickly it will heal)? It's hard to count against. I certainly don't think the fact that he's trying to sell that "he's squatting this amount" and "leg pressing that amount" already is some great accomplishment that proves the nerves are healing or healed. Those are almost surely assisted lifts (particularly the 600 lb leg press he's touting) where the machines take a lot of the need for stabilizer muscles out of the equation. If we're talking a true low bar squat with no sway and no knee pain, even if it were at half the weight he talking about now, that'd be something.

Ultimately though, he plays a position that is built on explosion and where the best guys (and where one of his biggest selling traits) are incredible quick twitch guys. You don't get quick twitch or quick explosion without a set of fully functional nerves. A leg press doesn't use the same nerves and tendons that a deep cut does, and if he can't make cuts he can't play linebacker or even football - plain and simple. And with nerve damage there's no really way of knowing when it will heal, if it ever does. it could be a year, it could be two, it could be never.
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Jan 19, 2006
    2nd? No
    4th? Yes
  6. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Oct 7, 2010
    Unfortunately I would have to pass on Smith. New reports are out on Myles Jack and he isn't looking to good either. Granted he should still see the field in 2016 but it really puts a damper on the number of blue chip guys in this draft. Both Smith and Jack being ones.
  7. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Feb 28, 2014
    I read half the teams were ok with the medical on Jack and the other half were not. Gotta wonder if the half that wasn't were also the ones who are hoping he falls to their pick. I think Jack is fine, just draft gamesmanship on teams hoping he falls putting out negative medical evals. Smith, on the other hand, I'm not sure will ever be the same
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Sep 25, 2011
    With so many good players on the board, I'd consider trading down. Think Telesco said he is very open to the idea as well.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Mar 1, 2009
    If we could come away from the first 2 rounds with Bosa and Jack..wow...that would be pretty amazing!!

There are still a number of good DT's left but since Bosa will probably play DE and we have Mebane, I don't know if this would be a wise pick for the Chargers.

Safety or C should be our main priorities IMO.

T.J Green, Vonn Bell or maybe Nick Martin or Cody Whitehair would be nice options.

I also woudn't be upset if we took WR Michael Thomas