1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

WR Floyd signs

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    WR Malcom Floyd signs

[​IMG]

By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com
    Posted 1 hour ago
    6-7-2010

Floyd decides it’s time to go to work; rejoins team.

SAN DIEGO – Wide receiver Malcom Floyd[​IMG] signed a one-year contract Monday.

Floyd, one of four unsigned restricted free agents, decided he had nothing to gain by missing the rest of the organized team activities (OTAs).

“There wasn’t really any positive in missing any more time, especially on my part, because I’m in a different situation than the other guys,” he said. “I thought, ‘Why not?’ Just come in and get some reps with Philip (Rivers) and get things rolling.”

Floyd enjoyed the best season of his career last year, catching 45 passes for 776 yards and one touchdown. He started nine games and finished as the Chargers’ No. 2 option at receiver.

At 6-foot-5, 225 pounds, Floyd enters his seventh season as another trump card in the stacked deck of San Diego’s vaunted passing game. Last year bolstered his confidence and he hopes it springboards him to further progress.

“I’m excited to have him back,” Head Coach Norv Turner said. “We’re ready to get back to work.”

Despite missing the first four OTAs and Mini Camp, Floyd doesn’t think it will take him many reps to refine his timing with Rivers. The two threw together on the side before Floyd agreed to the deal.

“We’ve been going on seven years and we rarely miss a beat,” Floyd said.

The offensive pie gets divided with so many capable parts, but Floyd thinks it’s big enough for everyone to get a slice and isn’t worried about his number of catches.
    “Philip makes great reads based on the coverage and he’s going to hit the guys who are open nine times out of 10,” Floyd said.

He’s expected to rejoin his teammates as OTAs resume Tuesday. Last year’s playoff loss still lingers, adding a touch of anxiousness for Floyd to get back to work and aim toward a Super Bowl.

“We’ve been a great team for these past few years,” Floyd said. “We know what we want to achieve, but at the same time we’ve got to take it one game at a time and not look too far ahead. Everybody has the same mindset of what we’re supposed to be based on the talent on our team.”

2. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    WR Malcom Floyd signs

[​IMG]

Floyd ends sit-out, joins Chargers coaching sessions

By Kevin Acee, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    Monday, June 7, 2010

Restricted free agent Malcom Floyd has decided to rejoin the Chargers for the final week of offseason coaching sessions.

"I don't think there was anything more to gain by sitting out," Floyd said this morning.

The Chargers and Floyd's agent are talking over details, and Floyd could sign the one-year $3.168 million tender as soon as today and join the team for the final four coaching sessions involving veterans.

The Chargers have been off since minicamp ended May 28 and restart the session on Tuesday.

Floyd had been among four key players sitting out this offseason unhappy with their contract status. Receiver Vincent Jackson , offensive tackle Marcus McNeill and linebacker Shawne Merriman still have not signed their one-year tenders.

Floyd, like the others, desired a long-term deal. Injury earlier in his career kept Floyd from reaching the threshold to become an unrestricted free agent after the 2008 season, and after '09 he was restricted again due to the NFL's labor unrest.

But he ultimately realized the futility of a further protest.

"VJ is a Pro Bowl receiver," Floyd said. "They'll probably take care of him before me ... It's just a tough position for me. We took a chance. There's nothing I can really do about it. It's time to put it behind us and get ready for the season."

The Chargers are expected to notify Jackson and McNeill they will face a reduction in their tender if they do not sign by June 15, when teams can reduce an RFA's salary to 110 percent of the previous season. McNeill would drop from $3.168 to $583,000. Jackson would drop from $3.268 to $600,000.

Merriman's tender of $3.269 million is already a 10 percent raise from 2009.

Sources familiar with the thinking of McNeill and Jackson indicate the two are prepared to stay away for awhile, perhaps into the season.

Floyd sat out a portion of last offseason before having a career year in 2009, catching 45 passes for 776 yards. Floyd has remained in San Diego working with renowned trainer Todd Durkin and said he doesn't feel like he's missed a lot, but he does believe he will benefit from a week working with the team.

"I'm excited (to) take reps with Philip (Rivers)," Floyd said. "I've been really stressing on that."

3. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Floyd had to sign. He is still unproven. He needs another year to prove himself.

4. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I wonder who's next to sign...

:popcorn:

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,251
    Floyd has repeatedly said he love SD and the Chargers. He would probably be a player who would play for less to stay here.

6. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279
    What's not to love? You couldn't be in a better situation if you're M80, just do your part this season and worry about the details later.

7. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Time to break out the Explosive!
    [​IMG]

8. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Letters have been sent

Kevin Acee
    Monday, June 7, 2010 3:39 p.m.

While Malcom Floyd signed his tender and will be at practice on Tuesday, the standoff between the Chargers and two of their three remaining restricted free agents is entering a potentially volatile stage.

General manager A.J. Smith confirmed that the team has sent letters to Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeill informing them their tender amounts will be reduced drastically if they do not sign by June 15.

Multiple sources have said the players are willing to staying away from the team for a long time, perhaps well into the season or even the entire season. Sources said Monday afternoon that the agents for both players told the Chargers that if the players' tender amounts were reduced, Jackson and McNeill would not report for "some time."

The agents declined comment yesterday.

Caught in the NFL's labor woes, both players were designated restricted free agents this year and given a first-and-third tender, Jackson for $3.268 million and McNeill for $3.168 million. Both are unhappy with their status and desire long-term deals. Neither has reported for any offseason activities.

9. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I expect McNeill and VJ will follow and sign by the end of the week. They aren't going to risk losing several million dollars of salary by waiting past next Monday.

Merriman may take a little longer, there's no rush for him, because he'll actually gain a little in salary by waiting.

10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,641
    It's good to see someone came to his senses. Good for Malcom and I'm glad to have him back.

3 more to go...

11. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers notify Marcus McNeill and Vincent Jackson of June 15 tender drops

Posted by Mike Florio on June 7, 2010 11:09 PM ET

We've mentioned a time or two the twist in restricted free agency that, as to some restricted free agents, allows a dramatic drop in their tenders offers as of June 15.

On that date, the offer extended on or before March 4 can be dropped to 110 percent of the player's 2009 salary.

For some players, the decrease is negligible. For others, the difference becomes dramatic.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the the Chargers have informed two of their unsigned restricted free agents -- left tackle Marcus McNeill and receiver Vincent Jackson -- that their tenders will drop as of June 15.

Per Acee, Jackson's tender offer will plummet from $3.268 million to $583,000. McNeill's salary would fall from $3.168 million to $600,000.

It's our current understanding that McNeill is inclined to sign his tender and then hold out, since the daily fines would be dwarfed by the $2.568 million in salary he'll be losing if he doesn't sign by June 15. As we recently mentioned, however, McNeill would lose a year of service if he fails while under contract to report for training camp by August 10, 30 days before the start of the regular season.

So with McNeill currently having only four years of service, he'd still have only four years in 2011 -- and he'd be back where he is right now, as a restricted free agent. (Then again, if the new CBA keeps eligibility for unrestricted free agency at six years, it won't matter.)

As to Jackson, don't be shocked if he refuses to sign the tender and then sits out into the regular season, possibly until Week 10 and possibly for the entire year.

If anyone thinks that a greatly reduced or nonexistent season for Jackson would harm his value for 2011, consider this -- Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford, Oklahoma tight end Jermaine Gresham, and Oklahoma State Dez Bryant played greatly reduced or nonexistent seasons in 2009, and each became first-round draft picks.

12. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +57
    If the Chargers don't pony up a big contract for VJ or MM then we could lose both!!

13. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +520
    in regards to VJ, McNeill and Merriman, all I can say is that this is one of those times that we can only say "in AJ I trust" :icon_shrug:

14. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,407
    That worries me. If that happens, forget about VJ or McNeil playing next year. :unsure:

15. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    VJ and MM only have to blame the Players Union to blame for this situation. It was the Union who agreed to these terms and they will be best served to sign their tenders and make a move after the fact.

16. vmax

vmax BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Everyone is always willing to hold out into the season....right up until they start to lose their paycheck and possibly a year of their livelihood. They will all be back. I just hope AJ's hardball does not sour either of them on signing a long term contract.

17. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    :flag:LOVE IT!!:icon_toast::abq2:

18. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Floyd signs Bolts' offer; Jackson, McNeill warned

Originally published June 7, 2010 at 10:57 a.m., updated June 7, 2010 at 7:23 p.m.

[​IMG]

The Chargers signed one of their restricted free agents Monday but are entering into a potentially toxic stage with two others.

On the day receiver Malcom Floyd signed his one-year tender, ending what was essentially an offseason holdout, the team sent letters to receiver Vincent Jackson and left tackle Marcus McNeill informing them their 2010 salaries will be drastically cut if they don’t sign their tenders before June 15.

General Manager A.J. Smith confirmed the letters were sent to the two Pro Bowlers but would not elaborate.

Alvin Keels and Neil Schwartz, agents for McNeill and Jackson, respectively, declined comment.

However, sources said agents for both players recently informed the Chargers that if the letters were sent the team would not see Jackson or McNeill for “some time.”

What “some time” means is up for interpretation, but sources familiar with the thinking of McNeill and Jackson said the players are prepared to sit out into the season and even through 2010.

Jackson will have his salary reduced from $3.268 million to $583,000 if he does not sign in the next week. McNeill’s salary would go from $3.168 million to $600,000.

In sending the letter, the Chargers are exercising their option to reduce their tender from its current level to 110 percent of a player’s previous year’s salary if the player doesn’t sign it before June 15.

Linebacker Shawne Merriman is also skipping the team’s offseason workouts, but his tender ($3.269 million) is already for 110 percent of his 2009 salary.

Smith declined further comment even when told the players were apparently willing to dig in for a standoff.

“I’ve already addressed the subject in detail and have nothing more to add,” Smith said.

This was what Smith said late last month:

“I wish all of our players were here every day. But that’s not the real NFL world we live in. Business decisions are being made by all parties. The players and their agents, I’m sure, are discussing what’s best for them. It’s their absolute right to do so, and I fully understand.

“I don’t know what they are thinking, and I have no idea when we’ll see them again or if we will ever see them again. This I do know: The upcoming season will be on us very soon. Whoever we have as Chargers, we go with. I don’t spend much time speculating on who will be here or when they will be here.”

In order to get an accrued season, a player must be on the roster for at least six weeks. It is conceivable that Jackson and/or McNeill could wait until November to report to the team, which would further reduce their salaries.

But they are unhappy they do not have a long-term contract and appear willing to try to force the Chargers’ hand.

Floyd was not going to do so. He signed his $3.168 million tender Monday and will be at Tuesday’s coaching session.

“I don’t think there was anything more to gain by sitting out,” Floyd said.

Floyd also sat out a portion of last offseason, displeased with his tender.

Floyd, while coming off a career-best season in which he caught 45 passes for 776 yards, is also aware of his place on the team.

“VJ is a Pro Bowl receiver,” Floyd said. “They’ll probably take care of him before me. … It’s just a tough position for me. ”

Ellison returning

Safety Kevin Ellison, who was arrested two days before last month’s minicamp and told to stay away from Chargers Park in order to not be a distraction at that time, has been at the facility and is expected at Tuesday’s coaching session.

19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,780
    It's sad these kinds of deals have to go down they way they do, but, everyone is playing by the rules so far. McNeill, is definitely worth re-signing but Jackson has put egg on the face of the team a few times. I'm not saying don't sign him, just that there should be clauses to protect the team against stupid. Guess we're all in the same boat as the player's on this one. Wait and see.

20. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Floyd gets to it

Perhaps a tad rusty but still clearly the class of the receiving corps, Malcom Floyd returned to the field a day after signing a one-year contract.
    “I’m trying to work my way in,” Floyd said. “You know, I’m a little rusty, and I’m trying to work that out and get back with Philip (Rivers).”
    Floyd was perhaps not as fluid as usual, but he was open a fair amount and a favorite target for Rivers.
    Floyd had been working out but has not been at Chargers Park while protesting his restricted free-agent contract offer.
    “He and Philip looked like they’ve been working together a few days a week for a month,” head coach Norv Turner said.

Martin practices

Defensive end Vaughn Martin, who had ankle surgery this offseason, was back on the field for the first time since January.
    “Emotionally, it feels good to be back out there with the guys, the camaraderie,” Martin said. “And also physically. You had surgery, you do the rehab, and it’s rewarding to get back out there and do what you’re supposed to do.”
    Martin’s potential, due to his strength and athleticism, has excited coaches and teammates ever since he arrived as a fourth-round pick last spring.
    Coming out of a Canadian college, Martin was asked to play nose tackle early last season because others were injured. Then he spent six weeks inactive. The Chargers have always viewed him as a project as he learned the game but would love for him to make a leap and earn significant playing time in 2010.
    “Obviously I don’t feel as good as the last time I was on the field, but I feel pretty good,” said Martin, who played in the final five games of the season but not the playoff game. “And by the end of it, you know, the rehab process I’ll be even better, feel better physically than I did. So I mean, put that together — feeling good physically and being a year experienced and learning and stuff like that, I’m really excited to see where I can go.”

Getting ready for camp

This last week of coaching sessions with the veterans will feature a different focus each day. Tuesday, it was working with unbalanced formations. Today, the Chargers will work on the wildcat. Thursday, it will be goal line and short yardage.
    “This week gives you a chance to go over things you’re going to reintroduce in training camp,” Turner said.
    Many veterans will continue to work out at the facility until later this month, and rookies and other young players will have four coaching sessions next week.
    Nuts ’n’ Bolts

• Buster Davis, who suffered a concussion in minicamp, worked at receiver and punt returner. He is slated to be the No. 2 returner.
    • As expected, Antonio Gates is not practicing on the field while recovering from a mild form of plantar fasciitis.
    • New tight end Randy McMichael practiced and wore No. 81, taking Kassim Osgood’s old number from rookie receiver Marcel Thompson, who now wears No. 47.

21. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    Good to have him signed:tup:

22. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    With VJ holding out, he also has a great opportunity to move into the similar role with the team. He's the same kind of big, smooth moving target with similarly good hands.

23. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +194
    That's my relief, too

24. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    Look for a big year from Floyd..... and then he can get his huge contract next season from the Chargers. Well played, Malcom. THAT'S how you get your long term security. Show the team you're a team player and then produce.