1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Writing on the wall?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by powayslugger, Oct 7, 2009.

1. powayslugger

powayslugger 2014--- Bring on the Lombardi!

Ratings:
    +163
    From PFTs latest power rankings for week four:

13. San Diego Chargers (Last week: 7). Norv Turner would be wise to start thinking about offensive coordinator positions that might be available in 2010.

here's the link:
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/06/week-four-power-rankings/

I know we're only four games into the season (and I actually figured we would be 2-2 at this point) but what do you guys think? Is PFT hitting the mark with this one? So far Norv has taken the best rushing team (ahhh remember those good, old days) and turned it into one of the NFLs worst.

[​IMG]
    Norv with his resume... Looking for work in 2010? PFT thinks... yes.

2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Agree totally. Norv is what he is: A .500 coach at best. Need proof? Look at our regular season record last year and this year so far. Not all his fault I assure you. Players and GM have to be accountable as well. But Norv is what he is and this team is what they are. A .500 team. Please prove me wrong team.....

3. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I think he's shown what he can do and it's not enough. We got to get a new head coach who will commit to running the ball. I'm glad that we can pass but the bolts need to be able to grind it out. It's not that hard when the other team knows exactly what we're going to do.

4. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    With all due respect to Norv...you're best rusher from "those good old days" has lost a step and a half, has gained a few aging years, ans has suffered injuries. Norv may not be the catalyst that caused a great running game to become just a running game.

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,859
    Yeah, as much of a detractor I am of Norv, I find it hard to blame him for the decline in the running game.

LT simply doesn't seem to have it and Sproles is not an every down back.

That's not to say he doesn't deserve any blame (He needs to use Bennett more) but it's not really his fault we don't have the dominant rushing game we once have.

Having a dominant passing attack that we've never really had also helps take away from the running game.

All that aside, Norv needs to be fired in the post season.

6. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Norv is through 2009 21-15 in the regular season with the Bolts.
    3-2 in the playoffs.

Marty's last 3 years with the Bolts was 35-13, and 0-2 in the playoffs.

Chargers will probably finish 8-4 this year so Norv could be 29-19 possibly. Maybe we will be like the Cardinals of '08 and squeak in with a division title being the lowest seed, and make it to the show. :icon_shrug:

(I threw in the Marty thing because I liked Marty, despite his playoff record, which suffered bad breaks IMO, Earnest Byner, Marlon McCree please stand up, please stand up, HA)

7. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Keep in mind that LT is 100 times better than Fred Taylor ever was, and still is, but Taylor had over 100 yards against the Falcons. O-Line makes a difference, you can't deny that, whether he has lost a step from his 2007 form or not.:icon_shrug:

LT would have got 100 yards rushing against the Falcons on that day also with the O-Line Taylor had that day.

We need O-Line help.

8. powayslugger

powayslugger 2014--- Bring on the Lombardi!

Ratings:
    +163
    I'm not about to cut Norv a bit of slack. Our abysmal running game- eight carries in sixty minutes of football is horrid. In fact to still call it a running game insults my intelligence.

Teams don't win a Super Bowl without a running game. Period.

Norv brought in his "pass-happy, no run game" strategy when he arrived and surrounded himself with nothing but passing weapons. He's made it so that our "play action" doesn't even fool three year olds- who know we can't run the ball. We fool no one and the defenses can pin their ears back and blitz.

We have a pussified O-line, no true FB, a gimpy/aging tailback and an undersized scatback that even the Coronado Pop Warner kids can stop. Blame AJ if you want but it's Norv who runs the team and calls the offensive plays. When you only call 8 running plays it tells we you aren't committed to establishing ANY FRIGGING run game.

This team has gotten too one dimensional... yeah we can pass lights out but try to get one yard up the gut and we fold up like a circus tent. Like I said you can't win a Super Bowl without a running game no matter how hard AJ and Norv try.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,593
    Maybe not for the running game but by the same token if you look at this team from 05-09 we've gotten PROGRESSIVELY WORSE at run blocking and part of that might be from Norv's coaching. Since Norv's done more molding of this team into his image its clear we've become more of a finesse team.

10. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300

On the flip side, look at Shanarat's Bronco teams that you could plug in any old RB and get 1,000 yds. :icon_shrug:

11. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    Careful now. He may be our next head coach.

12. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Can we get a mod to delete my post? I need to go take a shower now...I feel dirty just thinking about that, that,....person coaching here. :icon_eek:

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,859
    I would take Shanahan over Norv in a heartbeat.

In fact, he might be my pick in the offseason when we're hopefully searching for a new one.

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Don't want either. Yes, I'd take Shanahan if Norv was the ONLY other choice but that's not the case.

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,859
    Any reasoning other than that he used to coach the Donkeys?

(That's not meant as a rhetorical question, just curious)