1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

WTF??? Are you kidding me?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by tboltzcali, Nov 1, 2006.

1. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107
    Winslow looks forward to San Diego homecoming, matchup with Gates

By JOE MILICIA, Associated Press Writer
    November 1, 2006

BEREA, Ohio (AP) -- Kellen Winslow could be even more fired up than usual this Sunday.

Winslow, never lacking emotion on game day, will return home to San Diego and play in front of about 50 friends and family members when the Cleveland Browns face the Chargers.

His Hall of Fame father will be among them, watching his son play on the field where he redefined the tight end position.

As if that's not enough for the younger Winslow to get excited about, he made it a point Wednesday to hype his matchup with another pretty good Chargers tight end, Antonio Gates.

"I look at it like it's a heavyweight match. It's me versus Gates," Winslow said. "I want to be the best tight end out there."

The tale of the tape reads like this: Winslow, playing in his first full season after a motorcycle accident and multiple injuries, leads all tight ends with 40 receptions. He has 393 yards receiving and three touchdowns.

Kansas City Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez is second with 33 catches for 441 yards and a score. Gates is third with 32 receptions, 384 yards and four touchdowns.

"Tony is right behind me. Gates is right behind me. So I've got to stay on top," Winslow said.

Winslow was asked to clarify. Did he mean keep his lead in receptions?

"The best overall. I'm trying to be the best. I said I was the best. I am the best, and I'm going to prove it on Sunday," he said.

Winslow got humble, though, when asked to compare himself to his father.

"He's not even human," he said. "I'm not even on his level, so I can't even compare the two. Not yet."

Winslow, who dreamed of following in his father's footsteps with the Chargers, doesn't see himself as the same type of player.

The elder Winslow brought speed and athleticism to the position, but had a bigger frame than his son. He caught 541 passes for 6,741 yards and 45 touchdowns in nine seasons with the Chargers.

The younger Winslow was just a tyke when his dad was through making NFL history and doesn't remember much. But he's watched the game films over and over.

"My skills are different from my dad's," Winslow said. "I compare Tony (Gonzalez) to my father. I think I'm a different type of breed. I'm not really a tight end. I'm not really a receiver. I'm kind of a 'tweener."

Like Gates, the junior Winslow has speed and great hands, but Gates is bigger and has proven himself over 3 1/2 seasons, while Winslow will play in just his 10th game Sunday.

"Gates is a little larger, bulkier. You see Gates making one-handed catches, accelerating away from defenders after he catches the ball and he is hard to tackle once he gets his momentum going," Browns coach Romeo Crennel said. "They are both good receivers, but the body types are different."

Crennel knows Winslow will be pumped up for the game. He just hopes he can control his emotions.

"If he has extra energy within the game plan, and can execute the game plan, then I'm all for the extra energy," Crennel said. "If that energy screws him up and he's not doing what he's supposed to do, then it's counterproductive for us. Kellen is one of those guys who gets excited and I think it will help him."

Winslow is listed as questionable on the Browns' injury report as he's been for the last several weeks but won't miss this game. He has acknowledged he's not 100 percent after the motorcycle accident, but boasted earlier this season that at 90 percent he's still better than any other tight end in the NFL.

"That's not being arrogant. I am," he said Wednesday. "They know what I can do. I know what I can do. The defensive coordinator knows what I can do and they're not going to match me up man to man. They're going to double me."

Winslow clamored to get the ball more earlier this season and, despite his 40 catches, he has yet to put together a 100-yard game or a multi-touchdown performance, something the stat-conscious tight end wants to change.

He'd like for it to come Sunday.

"When you play for the Browns right now you don't get a lot of (publicity)," Winslow said. "I've got to prove it versus a good team like the Chargers."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...p-browns-winslow-homecoming&prov=ap&type=lgns

2. ChargersNguyen

ChargersNguyen BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    I almost forgot that he was on the Browns, how could i forget? He's a soldier!

3. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Kay Dub Jr. is a mental case. :yes:

4. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    As much as I dislike him as a person, I have to admit that KWJ is a damn good player and athlete. It would be cool if he had his vocal cords surgically removed, though.

Still, he has a ways to go before he's in AG's class. This is the third year Gates has been dominant and KWJ has not yet started seeing every team selling-out to stop him the way Gates has. He's seen some double-coverage, but there's a difference between respect and fear. Teams fear Gates.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Meh. Let him talk. He doesn't concern me.

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,173
    KW2 is a SOLDJA! He has to tell us he is a SOLDJA! He has to tell us how good he is, and how he iss all that and a bag of chips.

Gates, he plays, and he lets that speak for itself.

Seems to me Gates is getting it right, where the SOLDJA has to try and PR himself into the public eye.

7. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    KWJ strikes me as the sort of player who will crow and strut when things are going well but when he starts to become THE gameplan of opposing defenses he will get frustrated and implode.

8. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    word

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    KW2 is a soldja
    Guess what
    One soldier against the 7th Armored Calvary won't do your *** much good
    Mr. Soldier, meet Mr. President
    Bow before your leader!

10. titanfan24

titanfan24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +74
    They were going for my legs.....I don't give a **** about a Vol.....I'm a f****** souldja!!!

He's a talent, but he's got the cart way before the horse right now.

11. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,357
    Who cares how many passes he's caught. The guys is averaging less than 10 yards per catch. Pretty pedestrian, hardly the big play TE he makes himself out to be.

12. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    The moment I see KWJ take over a game the way Gates does three or four times a year is the moment I'll think KWJ is starting to approach nearing the possibility of being in the same stratosphere with AG. There's only one tight end I think of in AG's class and that's Gonzalez.

Right now, AG is as good as Kellen Winslow Sr. was, IMO, and in some ways he's better. Because KWS was a star but not nearly the focal-point that Gates is.

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    I do kinda wish Merriman was playing just so KWII could come accross themiddle and Merriman could dim the soldier's lights

14. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,351
    Dude, I was thinking the SAME THING. Merriman would have DRILLED him too.

I'm wearing my Gates throwback sunday. :yes:

15. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Alge Crumpler > KWJ

16. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,351
    If I may amend your mathematical notation:

Gates>Alge Crumpler>KWII :bolt:

17. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    The only person who thinks [snickering]k2[/snickering] is better than gates is himself. But hey, he's a mofo soldja.:lol:

18. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
  19. SuperBowlts

SuperBowlts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I was about to post the same thing... Hopefully someone else does.

20. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Kwak... tell your boy McCree that he needs to lay the wood on KDubII this sunday.

21. curtisboltfan

curtisboltfan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    sr is better than jr.fuc jr!:lol:

22. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,594
    I'm a soldja baby
    Yeah well i'm hte president b!tch!

23. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    One smack right on his kisser. :icon_evil:

KWII is a fuggin moron. :tdown:

24. Chargeroo

Chargeroo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +43
    I hope he leaves this game bloodied and feeling low. This kid is an *** hole, a spoiled brat. I really hope the kid learns a lesson The sad part is, our defense has done pretty bad at covering TE's. Gonzo and Heap both screwed us over because Kiel just isn't that good.

25. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The dude is popping his mouth off like an idiot after his two year vacation to rehab his stupidity.

He has proven nothing in this league except for the ability to use pisss poor judgement.

26. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I would put McCree at SS and start Hart at FS.

27. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Nothing like some bulletin board material to ensure that the Chargers don't look past this game.

It's all good. :yes:

28. RAIDOOORS!...suck

RAIDOOORS!...suck New Member

Ratings:
    +5
    KW jr. IS A SOLDJA.. FOR THE FRENCH LEGION:icon_rofl:

29. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,594
    Does KWII realize what he's saying?
    My guess......no
    http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/sports/15908807.htm

Winslow continued: ``I want to be the best tight end out there. Got to do it on Sunday. Tony (Gonzalez) is right behind me. Gates is right behind me. So I got to stay on top.''

`I got all the respect for Gates, but he'll never be my father,'' he said. ``Nobody will. I won't. He's on a whole other level. He made the tight end position.

`I don't think we're alike at all,'' Winslow said, ``except for the speed factor. He plays basketball out there. I compare myself more to a (Jeremy) Shockey.''

• Like Like x 1
  30. RAIDOOORS!...suck

RAIDOOORS!...suck New Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I GUESS THAT MAKES GATE A NAVY SeAL.