1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

WTF Defense

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by gonzokrb, Sep 10, 2013.

1. gonzokrb

gonzokrb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +44
    I know it's only the first game, but at what point do we hold the D.C. accountable? How many times is a second half meltdown permissible? Any Defense that gives up a third and 20 or more is unacceptable! I didn't get to watch anything after the third quarter opening drive and am relying on the media. Please let me know what our "D" looked like.

2. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    I'm all for holding a D.C. "accountable"...
    but let's be honest, Pagano doesn't exactly have Lawrence Taylor, Mike Singletary & Ronnie Lott to work with...

• Like Like x 2
  3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,223
    Nor did most other top ranked DC's in the history of the league. If the team cant manage to stop one ONE third and long there is a big problem and it is not all the caliber of the players.

• Creative Creative x 1
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,720
    I was thinking over this weekends games that...it is f'n impossible to play pass defense these days. Peyton throws 7 TDs, Eli throws for 450 yards in a LOSS, Karpernick went over 400, altogether 12 guys went over 300 yards and that didnt for once include Tom Brady (288 yds).

Not sure if it is Paganos fault, or even the DBs. The only thing I know for sure is that we need at least 1 more pass rusher to give our DBs a hope of sticking on long enough.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    You may be right, but how many other teams give up 3rd and long as if it were candy? Teams (such as the Texans last night on the pick 6) watch the QB and attack the route. We dont. We sit, allow the catch and some gratis YAC to boot. I am not sure that the pass cant be defended. I just know our D needs a lot of luck in defending it...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    The defense looked dazed & confused out there and leaving the Bird out on a wire didn't help matters much. It's bad enough to give in and play back but damn you should be able to line up a damn hit with the extra yards. The Bolt defense does not have a physical leader, hence, no backbone. If Pags can't get these guys to tighten up or at least deliver a blow, then what?.

When will a Bolt team stand up and stop being door mats to clean other teams cleats?? this team has no toughness and never has. Sure there have been years when the O has played great and even the defense chipped in here and there. I have never seen a complete Bolt team that was mean and nasty on all sides since the mid 60's???? what happened?.

7. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Well the tackling is a better than last year. Replacing Cason with Wright helped that. The soft coverage sucks.
    But let's not forget that after the 1st drive, the offense got NO (aka Zero ie None eg 0) first downs in the 2nd half.
    That's not gonna help a D with no depth.

8. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +501
    I'm going to make the assumption that I wasn't the only fan saying, "watch out for the fake"
    when it was 4th and less than 1 near midfield early in the 4th quarter.
    It did seem though, that none of the coaches, especially the "special" teams coaches, ever
    had that thought cross their minds as we watched the Personal Protector take a direct snap
    and gain about 4 or 5 yards...downhill. It even looked as if he was lined up directly behind the
    snapper and not to one side as is the usual case.
    This is just something I needed to get off my chest. Okay I feel better now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    ST coaches suck. Fire their asses.

10. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,763

That's just being caught with your panties down.

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    Agreed, I dont think I spared the O any of my ire...

12. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,763
    Pags better tighten these guys up tighter than banjo strings and pull out all the stops and play them like rented mules. The Bolt D plays soft and that is a reflection on the DC. It's bad enough to "play off" but then no one goes for the home-run hit. Hell, they have 8 yards to get lined up, what else do they need a virgin milkmaid to show them the way?.

13. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    I haven't seen the data but I am almost positive we have led the league these last couple of years giving up 1st downs in third and long situations. And that's going back to last year when we had Baltimore at 3rd and 28.

14. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +317
    Melvin Ingram, Manti Te'o, Jonas Mouton, Steve Williams, Bryron Jerideau.

15. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,481
    fify ;)

16. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +181
    With games like this it it any wonder people decided to stay home or go to the beach last season? I imagine a few more give away games like this and we'll be getting blacked out at home a lot this year.

17. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475
    I just don't understand the decision to play off the receivers, especially Andre Johnson. Houston was throwing short all day, Johnson is not a burner anymore, and we went young and fast so we can play press man. Instead we played 5 to 10 off and kept giving them 6-8 yards a catch. We got nickled and dimed to death. Would rather get beat on a long one then get walked down the field like that over and over again.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. D4L

D4L BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    I'm shocked we weren't ready for that fake. I seriously thought that we'd line up for it and force them to punt. Defensively I'm obviously disappointed. I did like the physical nature of the team. They were hitting hard and making them pay but unfortunately to often it was after a big gain. The offense going 3 and out or taking no time off the clock didn't help the defense much either. They were worn out when that last drive started. Offense needed to get them off the field even if they didn't score so they could at least catch thier breath. Playing against Vick isn't gonna be pretty. THey better make him pay for every yard he gets.

19. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    So how does "attacking" the center play on punts? If you have to stay off him, doesn't this raise the success rate for fakes right up the middle?

20. MadMike

Ratings:
    +475
    My nephew and I were screaming to watch the fake from our seats. If we know its coming how could they not?

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    I have no idea. If they got it by inches (as I recall it was short yardage) that is one thing, but they got a big gain didn't they. I need to watch my recording of the game again....

22. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    IIRC, they got about 5 yards.

i'm still trying to figure this out ..... if the center/long snapper is to be avoided, what about on a fake when he's going to come out to hit the first guy in the way square in the mouth? I agree with reasonable rules that improve player safety, but this begins to feel like another way to keep offenses on the field to score points.

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    The rule intent as reported by the NFL is "The rule is to protect the snapper on a field goal or extra point from a direct forcible blow to the head or neck area, or with the crown/forehead/hairline parts of the helmet to the body. It was not designed to prohibit any contact with the snapper, which is what happened on this play."

if they are coming out I would assume their head would be up, and no longer a defenseless player. That doesn't mean the zebras would get the call right though... LOL.

24. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Exactly - as they said even when admitting it was wrong - it's a judgment call. Perhaps they'll look at a fake differently, or at least pick up a flag should the play turn out to be a fake?

I understand the wording & intent - just seems that it's going to give offenses running these fakes a little more advantage.

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    I hated the call. The only such call of the weekend. But (to expand on the topic) it was not why we lost. I think if there were more calls of that nature it wouldn't be so bad, and the NFL would not have said 'ooopsies our bad'...

26. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    I agree it wasn't the only reason that we lost. This one would, IMO, fall into that "testicular fortitude" category that you have to suck up & overcome.

But bet on it - there will be ST coordinators/OC's out there looking to use it to an advantage.

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    Boy howdy! They would be foolish not to...

28. MadMike

Ratings:
    +475
    As soon as they brought the punt team out, being short no more than 1/2 a foot, I knew they were going to fake it. They snapped it fast and ran right up the middle for 4 yards.

29. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,763
    At this time of year defensive units are usually ahead of most the offensive units they go up against early in the season. The Bolts D started with a bang but began to fade as the evening wore on which is a reversal of the norm as D's generally get stronger. They couldn't stop the run nor the pass and got gassed and beat. Playing back with a huge lead to force the short passing game works if you are containing the run and the Bolts D did neither of those things. Just guessing, it looked like the Bolts were to worried about the pass and playing back caused the run support to be ineffective.

30. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    They carved up our D like a Christmas turkey, just like last year and the year before that. Those third-and-longs are going to kill us. And I can't understand for the life of me why I'm not seeing the kind of aggressiveness so many other teams display when it comes to making stops, either on defense or special teams. The tackling lacks fire, and there are too many times when it looks like the defender grabs onto a leg or a shirt and expects the ball carrier to just fall down---what, they don't know that the runner is going to twist and turn and keep going? :tdown:

• Like Like x 1