1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

WTF Defense

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by gonzokrb, Sep 10, 2013.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    You think the D got tired last week. Just wait until the 4th Q against Philly.

2. Jamesboltz21

Jamesboltz21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    I've followed the chargers for quiet sometime now, one thing I've noticed is that you can make the determination on how the season will be within the first three games. I'll definitely give them that considering that they have a whole new staff, and the simple fact that they're still working out the kinks. I will say, they looked great minus the breakdowns in the 4th and it was also nice not to see Norv on the side lines. I'm pretty optimistic about this weekend with the eagles. One team with a good win and one team with a lot to prove.:cool:

3. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    So, you started following the team in 1993? :cautious:

(that is quiet sometime!)

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,173
    In their defense... Quite some time can be very relative if you take into account how long they could have been following them. Quite some time is different to a 20 year old than it is to a 40 year old... etc...

5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,381
    To a house fly, that's an eternity. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,173
    Several...

7. tittylated

tittylated bolttalk cheerleader sweet

Ratings:
    +24
    I was watchin some replays and Noticed that weddle was not flying to the ball like he normally does, and when he was in position he wouldnt always make the tackle. Is anyone else concerned about this?

8. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,357
    No.

9. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +247
    Didn't the Eagles "run out of gas" in the second half against Washington last week? This could give a whole new meaning to "walking in for a touchdown" late in the game.

10. Jamesboltz21

Jamesboltz21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Hey.......no reason for stone throwing...lmao (I'm 30 so that validates my comment)lol

11. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Actually, I think my good natured tease might have been misunderstood:
    I was not criticizing how long you've been a fan, Jamesboltz21...
    I was gently poking fun at the idea that the first three games are a reliable predictor
    (longtime hardcore fans will remember that the 1992 team opened 0-4, but went 11-1 after that, hence my 1993 "joke")

There aren't a lot of advantages to getting older, :oops: but perspective is one :tup:
    (in addition to remembering presidents instead of having to read about them! [Oh, Benjamin Harrison, how I miss you!]) :p

p.s. I admire your 12.5 posts per year pace...that's discipline! :D

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    Honestly, a high scoring game is what I expected going into Monday night, as I had my doubts that the Charger defense could contain Andre Johnson and the Foster/Tate combo. That said, it came as no surprise to me that we got carved up in he 2nd half, but I did not anticipate the offense getting so stagnant as the game wore on.

13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    It wasn't "running out of gas," it was Chip Kelly Standard Operating Procedure in the second half/fourth quarter with a big lead: "Run the play-clock down to :01, obvious run play, rinse, repeat" Issue is that he doesn't have the roster size on defense that he did at the college level, so his offense is going to need to get some first downs to give the defense a rest, otherwise they'll do what they did last week which was get their Prevent D shredded and nearly give up the lead.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. gonzokrb

gonzokrb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Once again, a prevent defense prevents you from winning!!! WHAT IS WITH THIS SOFT COVERAGE!!!

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    Would it kill us to get more than a single meaningless sack a game? A little consistent pressure would be nice, especially from our stud Des

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,173
    I thought that is why we got Freany...

To be honest, the D is getting close. I see some of Freany's moves being used by other defenders. I am sure we will get more, but until the D can cover the pass, stop a 3rd and long, or create a turnover we are not going to have much success.

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    Close is one thing but sooner or later they have to get the sacks, get the pressure, force the 3 & outs. Otherwise it doesn't matter

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. gonzokrb

Ratings:
    +44
    OK, we just got a beat down from the RAIDERS. When is the Pagano "Bend but don't break" defense shown the door!

19. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +247
    Oh, I thought it was the "Can't catch a break" defense.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. SayOw

SayOw BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    1 interception and 1 fumble recovery for the season for the Charger defense so far....only the Steelers have fewer turnovers created by their defense...

21. PanchoX1

PanchoX1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +55
    Wow, that is an ugly stat.

22. SayOw

SayOw BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    How about -8 in the turnover battle...that puts them tied for 28th in the league in +/- ... Does that stat somehow make 2 total turnovers better?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  23. PanchoX1

PanchoX1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +55
  24. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +73
    I've been saying this for weeks now...We need a new DC. There comes a point in time where we see that our Defensive schemes or lack there of don't work. I understand we don't have the best players but I still don't see any intelligent schemes on the part of Pagano. We see the difference adjustments and new schemes can make on the offense but nothing on the defense. Even if our players aren't motivated (and lots of times they look like they are happy jogging after people) it's Pagano's job to motivate them if they don't have it in themselves. I get pissed off looking at everybody's else's defense being aggressive, chasing down ball carriers, getting up field, penetrating offensive lines then I look at our D just jogging along letting people run for 7 and 8 yards and giving up deep passing plays over and over again. I hope we can do something disguise some blitzes better and get better play from our Defensive line cause I was calling for them to stop Shaub opening night and we see what kind of omen that was.....

25. gonzokrb

Ratings:
    +44
    Once again, what is with this "bend but don't break" defense. For most of the Skin's game our CB's were playing off 6 to 8 yards. No re-route of receivers which makes RGIII's job alot easier! Every defensive player needs a refresher on basic tackling!!!

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,173
    I disagree. We didnt have a bend but dont break D. What we had was a situation where their offensive line was up to the challenge of shutting down our defensive pass rush.

27. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +210
    This Defense is so finesse and doesn't have it in them to hold off big name offensive teams. Cornerback has got to be a priority #1 in next years draft. We have the worst secondary in the league.

28. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,594
    Cornerback (minimum 2)
    Nose Tackle
    Pass Rushing OLB
    Strong Safety (or someone tell me whether the team likes what it has in Taylor already)

On top of
    A power running back
    A right guard
    Maybe another WR

29. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Soooo...we good at QB, eh? :whistling:
    I don't disagree...it just might've been easier to type: "Every position (incl. kick returner)."

Seriously, this roster has more holes than the Bonnie & Clyde car...
    I was a bit surprised that you weren't thinking more than right guard on the line...

Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 10.31.21 AM.png

30. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +754
    SF just released Nnamdi, I wouldn't mind picking him up on a 1 year rental, can't be worse than what we have already

• Agree Agree x 2