1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

WTF has this board come to?? --- McNeill feeling strong

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Mar 9, 2009.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Why am I having to search other sources for Bolt articles

:icon_tease:

http://chargers.com/news/headlines/mcneill-feeling-strong.htm

By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com

Marcus McNeill underwent an operation on his neck just four weeks ago, but the Chargers’ starting left tackle said Monday that the challenges he faces this offseason aren’t all that different from any other year.

“Besides the stiffness I had to work out of my shoulders, the surgery really wasn’t bad,” McNeill said. “I’m just trying to stay away from the chicken wings and junk like that.”

McNeill had the procedure done on February 10 and the recovery period is estimated at five months. Though he won’t be on the field for quite some time, McNeill isn’t altering his conditioning routine much.

“The biggest thing is the contact,” McNeill said. “I have to avoid that, but I can still workout. That’s a big part of being a NFL player, keeping your body in shape in the offseason. I’m fortunate that I’m still able to do that.”

McNeill said the surgery addressed an issue that he’d dealt with for quite some time. The injury was discovered last summer after he suffered a stinger during training camp and underwent some tests.

“(The injury) stemmed from a few years back,” McNeill said. “They cleaned it up so I wouldn’t have any more problems down the line. That’s why we had the surgery, so we wouldn’t have to deal with something down the line.”

The stinger caused the two-time Pro Bowler to miss most of training camp and the first two games of the 2008 season, the only games during his three-year career in which he’s been inactivated. McNeill believes the practice and games that he missed had an affect on his play last year.

“All that time is valuable,” McNeill said. “No matter what type of player you are, the only way you’re going to get that football feel is by playing football. I had an extended period of time when I wasn’t playing. Training camp is full contact; full go. It’s close to game tempo and I missed a lot of that work. I gradually got better throughout the year when I got back on the field, but it was tough there in the beginning.”

McNeill is currently in Atlanta working out with a couple former college teammates, Panthers tackle Jonathan Palmer and Eagles tackle King Dunlap. He plans to return to San Diego in the coming weeks and will participate in the Chargers’ offseason conditioning program, which starts March 30th for veterans.

“I’ll be there all spring for the entire offseason,” McNeill said. “I’m really not sure how much participation I’ll be able to have in mini camp, but I’ll be there regardless. I’ll get all the classroom work and I’ll be there with my teammates.”

McNeill said he doesn’t have any major plans for the offseason other than “Mack’s Miracle’s Foundation Hip-Hop Weekend.” The event, which is slated for the last weekend in June, features a one-day football camp and celebrity events that raise money for McNeill’s foundation, whose goal is to promote healthy lifestyles and fight obesity.

As his fourth NFL season approaches, McNeill’s main goal is to be more of a leader in the locker room, both verbally and through his approach to the game.

“I can’t take the back seat of just being a young guy anymore,” McNeill said. “I’ve got to start stepping into that veteran status. I want to become a little more vocal and let people see it in my play and my workouts, that I’m real serious about this upcoming season.”

• Like Like x 2
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    'Bout time you pulled yer weight around here :icon_tease:

3. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +714
    Glad to hear Big Mac is on the mend.
    And staying away from the chicken wings:tup:

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    Though I'm sure he's treating himself to those carne asada burritos he loves so.

And yeah good to hear he's feeling better. We need him back at full power

5. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Good to hear - he's a good dude. Get well Big Mack, without Goffer on the Oline they will need some more leadership amongst the ranks.