1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

XX radio LT interview

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BrecksOnlyBoltzFan, Jan 23, 2010.

1. BrecksOnlyBoltzFan

BrecksOnlyBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +32
  2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    He thinks that it is Kaedings fault that they lost. (I read his mind).

He was not happy with the way he was used. It doesn't sound like he is a Norv fan.

I bet he will try to go to a team like the Pats or the Saints.

Goodbye LT.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    I listened to that interview, and it sounds to me like he is done in SD. I think he might be surprised at what his current market value is though. I love LT, but he is not the player he once was. Good luck to him.

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Say what you want, but LT hasn't been the same since Norv.

:tdown:

• Like Like x 1
  5. BrecksOnlyBoltzFan

BrecksOnlyBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +32
    LT is and always will be a Great Charger. But its time for he and the Chargers to part ways. He just sounds like he is over it. I wish him the best of luck (Unless he goes to an AFC rival). Saints would be a great fit.
    We will need to run block for anyone to be successful.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    why should he be? Since norv came they've put a distinct emphasis on Rivers over LT. I can understand why he's upset about that as well. Though the Saints and Pats both throw plenty, almost as much as we do, why would he be happy there?

I just don't think there's a market for him - it's no secret he's faded a great deal since his prime. One of the reasons he stuck around last year was that there was no market or interest in him, especially as a starter. now add to that a very bad year running (and while its partially the OL's fault, let's not ignore that he's faded quite a bit as well) and its doubtful that someone will take him on for a big contract.

7. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87
    I hear constant *****ing about "run-blocking", but is it really their fault that both of our backs go down at first contact? Do they need a lane the size of Rex Ryan's mouth to run through?

The more film I see, the more I see our RBs going down without a fight.

8. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I think that you may have a point there. Most all of the competitive teams are set at RB. I highly doubt he would want to go to a team like the Redskins.

9. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    You would think with all the running out of bounds before contact LT did over his career you would have a few years left in him.

About three years ago he started stumbling over his own feet before his first cut. Never seemed like an injury thing but he seemed like he cant get out of his own way. Like his eyes and mind are a few ticks ahead of his body.

Love the guy. Great personality. Great Charger. But he is done.

10. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,918
    I don't see how this can be the case considering they overused him in the playoff game.

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,918
    Post hoc.

Norv didn't injure LT's knee in the playoffs and he is not responsible for LT getting older.

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,918
    If he's upset about that he's a lot more selfish and a lot less of a team player than I've always thought he was.

13. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Once LT is gone we're going to win the Super Bowl. He's been bringing our team & Norv down for years.

14. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I'll always love LT for what he's done for this team and franchise...and he's one of the greatest backs ever...but even I have no doubt that his time here is over and he needs to move on. I don't think he's lost anywhere near as much as his stats appear to indicate.....he has definitely lost a step or two...but he can still play....Just not here in this system......This team needs a back that can create with power running...and bust through arm tackles into space...That used to be a part of his game, but hasn't been for three years as he either can't do it, or is no longer willing to subject his body to that kind of punishment....Our blocking scheme isn't going to bust open holes for backs very often...so we need a straight ahead, one-cut type of runner who can keep defenses honest.

I don't buy into LT being selfish...I think he just wants to win and is pissed when we don't...It reflects badly on him in the media who has the cameras ready for him the past three years to watch his every reaction...but I don't mind that he's a guy who can't stand to lose...I like that kind of competitor and will take that any day over players laughing and joking after a playoff loss. He reacts badly to losing and that's a personality flaw of his I can accept. The fact that he can no longer do anything about it...by himself... with his play on the field is why we need to find a better fit at the position...We need a threat there and he's no longer that guy.

• Like Like x 4
  15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,918
    How is he bringing the team down? By being old?

You think Sproles would fare well as the feature back and is being held back by LT?

Look at the Steelers game last year for your answer.

I think it's painfully obvious LT's good days are behind him, but to suggest he's the sole reason we haven't won a Super Bowl yet is a huge stretch.

16. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    :clap::clap: Damn, took the words out of my mouth Boltergeist!

17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,918
    I repped him for you.

Definitely a rep-worthy post.

18. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +295
    Man this is sad as ****. It's depressing because there's no way he's coming back. He's still competitive and wouldn't take a backup role and he says he still wants to play. This really makes me sad.

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,918
    What's going to suck is when he signs on with a team with a system that can accommodate his reduced talent sets and he has a decent-to-good season (800 yards, maybe 1000) the same mediots who have been arguing all season long this year about how washed up LT is are going to call the Chargers idiots for letting him walk. Especially if whoever our new RB is doesn't come out of the gate charging.

20. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Some good points were brought up but I think he'll be back next season and these are the reasons...

Cap room would be an issue but aren't we expecting a capless season this year? Even if that doesn't happen, there's already talk about trading Cromartie and I doubt that Merriman will be back. So that's plenty of cap room.

In that interview, he did seem like he's done with the Chargers but nobody is happy right now. Though Norv is happy with his extension and Keading is happy since it's been publicly announced that he'll be back.

He mentions that he's not happy with the way he was used, well the running game needs more variety despite of who is on the field. Something that's been driving me nuts all season and in the playoffs... "first down, LT up the middle for a one yard gain." Same call, expect different results. That's got to stop!

Yes, he is aging but I don't believe for a second that he's done. Though I do agree that we need a power runner and getting a guy like that in the draft would be a good idea. So then you release Bennette and possibly Tolbert. Use that guy like the way Marty utilized MT. Let that guy soften up the defense and then put in LT for speed.

LT brings A LOT more to this team then just his playing ability.

21. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +446
    I have not read much in this thread. All I gotta say is LT is a legendary Charger but he is done period.

Retire gracefully and enjoy your new child (God willing), don't make the mistake of bad mouthing your coach/organisation. BE grateful for the magnificient career you have had.

You will NEVER be forgotten.

Thank you. :tup:

22. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    Even if Marty was still here emphasizing the run, he would still not fare that well. He's old and that's that. And if he thinks that he will still get 5 mill. a year, he's crazy.

Take a huge paycut, stay here in the best city in the world, raise your kid, and backup/mentor whoever we bring in. That would be the best chance for LT to get his SB ring.

23. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    My guess is LT winds up in new orleans with his good friend brees. If anyone has noticed the last couple years. LT doesn't seem to have alot of friends on the chargers. Always sits alone and doesnt' talk to any other players.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Bolt-tastic voyage

Bolt-tastic voyage BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    LT has a right to be upset...5 days after that loss. He didn't bad mouth the team or anyone I thought he was very open and honest, more so than one would expect and. And when he said he wouldn't take a pay cut that is totally understandable because I'm sure he spent years over achieving for money he was payed. It works both ways. And seriously...its a contract and the Spanos' should "HONOR" it. And if you think the only reason LT is having little success is his age take a look at Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson. Those guys are old too and they are in systems where they can succeed. Take a look at the way Marty ran LT vs. Norv. Norv's scheme is the reason for LT's decline and he wont adjust his system for anyone even if we are losing, It's just his style.

25. vmax

vmax BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    It would be irresponsible for AJ to "Honor" this current contract. Paying 13 Million for the 31st ranked running game would be grounds for firing. I love LT as much as any Chargers fan, but he needs to accept his role and reduced production or move on. Unfortunately, older free agent running backs do not break the bank so he is not going to find a huge payday with another team either. Best of luck to him.

• Like Like x 1
  26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,918
    Norv's system has seen the same amount of success as Marty's.

Just sayin

27. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    LT probably gets 2 mil on the open market.

And really it's not like Norv really misused him in 2007 LT's numbers were very similar to 2005 and better than 2004. In 2008 his ypc was more than it was in 2004 and his rookie year, he just had fewer carries (which isn't the worst thing in the world).

Honestly I think the knee injury has impacted him, since then it seems like he slips all the time (I think it's due to shorter cleats, better for preventing injury, but worse for traction). If he didn't slip all the damn time he would have had a much better season. Plus obviously he's slowed down with age.

28. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    GREAT post by Boltergeist.

If we're all this upset over the loss why shouldn't the players be too? Losing ****ing sucks man and I don't blame anyone for feeling ****** about it, definitely not LT who likely watched his last chance for a Superbowl with the Bolts (maybe at all) go down the drain in an ugly ugly way.

Sadly tho, he either needs to take a paycut and reduced role to stay or it's time to part ways... it sucks and I hate to admit it but it is what it is... :no:

29. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279
    After much Captain Morgan, the Captain says -- Goodbye Cro, and goodbye Mr. 21, Mr. LT. I think it is time for us to part ways with both, like honestly, I think we can be better without them. And considering we have a ton of way more valuable assets to this team to re-sign (no disrespect to why the aforementioned were on this team to begin with,) but we really can draft more solid players that take up less cap.

Ahoy!

30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,918
    Captain Morgan?

The Captain is weak. He's only 30 proof.

Switch to Bacardi.