1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Yahoo bashes the Bolts

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    On the Yahoo main page there is a video where 'experts' grade the best and worst teams.

The Chargers are second worst, and they bash the coach and the GM... Great...

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    I am sorry. I thought you would have known that address to the yahoo main page is www.Yahoo.com.

Didn't know you were behind the curve...

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,772

BOOOOO HOOOOOO. :bolt: :icon_rofl: :icon_tease:

4. LFEpooh124

LFEpooh124 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    HAHAHA, nice one Conc.

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,393
    Just remember it was leisure that chided you. 'Nuff said. :lol:

6. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    :icon_rofl: Yahoo is tame compared to what's been said about our team in here...all they need to do is come in here to see how they're supposed to talk about our team!

7. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Would you like Yahoo to keep the Chargers at #1, like they did after they beat the Bears?

Winning cures everything.

8. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Come on Chargers prove all these non-believers wrong!

Donkies are going down.

Go Chargers!

9. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +913
    Why not, it's the easy story right now. Might as well write all the same **** that everyone else is writing.

10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_7111150

NFL: Chargers not smartest pick to win Super Bowl

The Salt Lake Tribune
    Article Last Updated: 10/07/2007 04:23:23 AM MDT

[​IMG]

Click photo to enlargeLaDainian Tomlinson, right, and San Diego are off to a... (Denis Poroy/The Associated Press )«1»

I can admit when I'm wrong. It happens all the time.
    You might recall that before the 2007 NFL season kicked off, I picked the San Diego Chargers to win Super Bowl XLII. We had my prediction packaged beautifully with flashes of lightning coming out of the sky on the cover of our NFL preview section. The words "Lightning Bolts" were sprawled across some of San Diego's star players.
    The layout was awesome, the design brilliant.
    The pick stunk.
    I'll admit I'm red-faced about the Chargers pick, just as embarrassed as I was last year when I wrote that the Panthers would win Super Bowl XLI.
    That's the same Carolina team that failed to reach the playoffs.
    It looks like the Chargers are destined for the same fate.
    San Diego is a mess in just about every way imaginable.
    Let's start with an offense that can't get its running game going anywhere near the level it was generating yards and points last season. LaDainian Tomlinson, the Michael Jordan of the NFL, enters San Diego's Week 5 game against Denver as the NFL's 18th leading rusher. He trails standouts such as Charlie Ward and Mercury Morris. Oops, excuse me, that's Derrick Ward and Sammy Morris. I'm still trying to figure out who those guys are and why they are ahead of the player who was selected first in probably 99 percent of all
    fantasy leagues this season.
    Wait . . . just found the answer. Look at San Diego's sideline and see who's running the show? It's Norv Turner and his lifetime coaching record of 59-85-1.
    For two quarters last week, Turner seemed to figure out how to use his personnel. Tomlinson had 116 rushing yards and a touchdown and the Chargers led the Chiefs 16-6 at halftime. But Turner, proving that his .410 lifetime winning percentage is no fluke, gave Tomlinson six carries in the second half that produced 16 yards.
    The Chiefs, who were averaging less than nine points per game before last week, somehow managed to score 24 points in the second half and win in San Diego. It was a colossal collapse, one that could haunt the Chargers when the AFC's final playoff berths are determined.
    There's plenty of blame to go around for San Diego's struggles. We don't need to just pick on Turner. But on a side note, I nearly laughed out loud when announcer Dick Enberg referred to the "chess match" that was going on between Turner and Herm Edwards in the Chiefs-Chargers game. I do believe I've seen more impressive strategic moves in my Connect Four showdowns with my 6-year-old daughter.
    OK, back to the Chargers.
    Quarterback Philip Rivers has regressed since last season. I don't understand why Eli Manning has taken so much heat for his inconsistent play since he's been a pro while Rivers has basically been given a free pass. The two came into the league at the same time and were involved in a memorable trade between the Giants and Chargers.
    I guess it's the difference between playing in New York and San Diego. Rivers has shown to have no pocket presence and poor decision making so far this season. His poise will remind you of David Carr. That's not a compliment.
    And what's happened to the team's defense?
    The Chargers' secondary has been a disaster, allowing long, game-changing touchdowns to Green Bay's Greg Jennings and Kansas City's Dwayne Bowe in the last two weeks. San Diego's run defense isn't bad, but that doesn't matter much when the secondary is being picked apart as consistently as Mr. Potato Head.
    With all that being written, I think the blame for the Chargers' underachieving play goes straight to the top.
    It was general manager A.J. Smith who fired Marty Schottenheimer after a 14-2 season. It was Smith who couldn't, and refused to get along with Schottenheimer. It was Smith who unnecessarily dumped Drew Brees prior to last season when the wiser move was to keep the proven commodity at quarterback.
    It was also Smith who heard San Diego fans chanting "Marty, Marty" at various points of San Diego's loss to Kansas City last week. As a person who believed in this team before the season began, I'm chanting "Mercy, Mercy."
    I wrote that Chargers fans would be singing their team's catchy fight song at Super Bowl XLII in Arizona. I was wrong. I think they'll continue to sing the blues this season.

11. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.gjsentinel.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2007/10/07/100707_rj_broncos_WWW.html

Retreat! San Diego has reversed its field

By RICK JUSSEL The Daily Sentinel

Sunday, October 07, 2007

The only thing saving the 2-2 Denver Broncos at this point of the National Football League season is — drum roll please — the 1-3 San Diego Chargers.

The Chargers, you may recall, were one of the Super Bowl favorites last season. They were merrily hurdling along at warp speed when the meteor shower hit and their season fell apart on a mild January day on the West Coast.

The Chargers had waltzed through the regular season with a 14-2 mark and earned a bye in the first weeks of the playoffs.

San Diego stormed out to a 14-3 first-half lead in their playoff opener against the New England Patriots (a team that was not nearly as good as the current edition) and, all of the sudden, the Chargers became the Retreaters. All of these rather shocking events led to the firing of head coach Marty Schottenheimer and the rather surprising hiring of Norv Turner.

Very simply, they had replaced a highly successful head coach with one who had done nothing but fail.

Even with Turner at the controls, the Chargers were still a popular Super Bowl pick during the summer offseason and they won their first game of the season, 14-3 at home against what was expected to be a very good Chicago Bears team.

Since then, they have gone zip and 3, getting trounced again by the Patriots, 38-14, losing at undefeated Green Bay 31-24, then being trounced last week at home by the Chiefs 30-16 — a game in which they were 12½-point favorites.

So, what’s the problem?

They problem, very simply, is that opponents have ganged up on the Chargers running game that features the NFL’s best tailback, LaDainian Tomlinson, he of the 30-plus touchdowns and nearly 2,000 yards rushing last season.

In four games this season, Tomlinson has rushed for 41 yards, 43 yards, 62 yards and, finally 132 yards last week against the Chiefs.

With opponents ganging up on Tomlinson, it has fallen upon young quarterback Philip Rivers to move the ball through the air. Rivers to tight end Antonio Gates won’t beat many teams.

All that being said, just exactly what is so different this season when it comes to the San Diego Chargers playing the Denver Broncos?

Last year, the Chargers scored 83 points against the Broncos in winning two games, 35-27 in Denver and 48-20 in San Diego.

In those two contests, the Chargers rushed for 320 yards, an average of 160 yards per.

So far this season, opponents have rushed for 724 yards against the Broncos in their four games. That is good for 181 yards per game on the ground, a 5.0-yard-per-carry average. If you average 5 yards per carry, you don’t have to punt often.

What we can assume will happen is the Broncos will load the box with a bundle of players and hope Tomlinson is stopped often enough on first and second down to force Rivers into third-and-long tosses.

All of which begs the question, if the Broncos haven’t been able to stop others from running, why in the world would they be able to stop a Chargers team that manhandled them last season?

True, Denver bulked up in the offseason on the D-line, but that bulk has proven to be just so much unmoving flab so far. As one of my colleagues said earlier this week, either Denver is playing old guys who can’t move or young guys who are too light.

There is hope, of course, that Denver QB Jay Cutler can light it up against the Chargers pass defenders who have allowed 253 yards passing per game. That, however, goes against what Mike Shanahan and his staff have done so far this season in trying always to establish the running game and keep the ball away from opposing offenses.

And, if you have Cutler fading into the pocket repeatedly, it plays into the hands of the Charger pass rush from Shawne Merriman & Co.

Thus, I have to be of the belief that the Broncos, even though they are at home, will continue to struggle against the Chargers. I see no reason to believe the Chargers won’t be able to run the ball at will, control the clock and eventually the game.

I’ll take my 3-1 record picking with or against Denver (2-2 vs. the spread) and say the Broncos, a 1 ½-point favorite, lose this one outright in a low-scoring clone of the Jacksonville loss, 21-17.