1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Yahoo Sports - The absurdly premature playoff picture: Week 10

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Nov 19, 2009.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I know, I know, it's to soon to look at this stuff but... :tup:

I think they might have already penciled in a win this Sunday but kinda fun to see. Sure wouldn't have looked like this a few weeks ago.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/The-absurdly-premature-playoff-picture-Week-10?urn=nfl,203407

[​IMG]

FC First-Round Byes:
    Indianapolis Colts
    Cincinnati Bengals

Other AFC Divisional Champions:
    New England Patriots
    San Diego Chargers

AFC Wild Cards:
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    Denver Broncos

NFC First-Round Byes:
    New Orleans Saints
    Minnesota Vikings

Other NFC Divisional Champions:
    Dallas Cowboys
    Arizona Cardinals

NFC Wild Cards:
    Philadelphia Eagles
    Green Bay Packers

• As promised, with its win over Pittsburgh, Cincinnati slides into the second first-round bye spot in the AFC. The Bengals thoroughly earned it. They should stay there for a while, too, as their next three games are against three teams that would be playing in the UFL next year if the NFL worked like English soccer: Oakland, Cleveland and Detroit.

• We also had a change in the divisional champion out west, with San Diego taking over for Denver. As always, this comes with the requisite warning that this could be a homer pick, and if you believe it is, well, fair enough. The good news? Any homerism gets rectified this weekend, as the Chargers and Broncos play for that spot. AFC West Divisional Champion spot ... ON THE LINE.

• I like San Diego in that game, though, which is why I've given the Chargers the nod today. They're a better team today than they were when they played Denver the first time, and I don't know if anyone can say conclusively that the Broncos aren't worse. Especially if Kyle Orton(notes) can't go.

• Over in the NFC, everything stays the same outside of the wild-card spots, which are a mess. There's a gaggle of teams at 5-4: Philadelphia, New York, Green Bay and Atlanta. We've also got a couple of 4-5 teams we can't completely discount yet: Chicago, Carolina and San Francisco. Of those, the 49ers have the most favorable schedule remaining, but their win over the Bears was not exactly the stuff of which legends are made.

• I ended up going with Philadelphia and Green Bay, simply because of the "When in doubt, go with the best quarterbacks" philosophy. Philadelphia put forth a game effort in San Diego; the Eagles shot their feet off in the red zone. If Brian Westbrook(notes) is out for a while (and I've got a hunch he will be), that'll hurt, but the Eagles deserve a chance to show they're prepared for his absence, which they absolutely should be.

• If that defensive performance Green Bay put forth against Dallas was real, I love Green Bay's chances to snag a wild-card spot. The Packers are still far from a perfect team, obviously, but they're the most explosive offense in wild-card contendership, and if the defense can start to match that at all, I like it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I think that is a reasonable prediction about the AFC. Now I'm not convinced that Cinncy won't take a stumble somewhere and open an opportunity for SD. If they can drop one of the next 3, it will sure help.

Now, correct me if I am wrong, be don't the NFL playoffs 're-seed' after the first round? So setting it up like a bracket is kinda deceiving. For example, if the Bolts beat Den and Pitt beat NE, then wouldn't the top seed get to play the lowest seed? In my example Pitt would go to Indy instead of us. Confirm or deny?

Also, if there is one team that Indy DOESN'T want to see come to their new stadium for its first playoff game, it is the Bolts.

NOTE: If we win out (not expecting it, just saying if) then we would be guaranteed the number 2 seed minimum. Because we would have beaten Cinncy straight up and thus have the tie breaker. I guess I don't know what the tie breaker would be with NE if they finished with 3 losses too...

3. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    after we beat the Bengals on Dec 20th, we will get that first round bye!

You can expect that Game to be flexed!

4. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Unless something happened in the offseason that I missed, the NFL playoffs are NOT reseeded. This has caused some controversy in the past few playoffs so it had been discussed as a change but I don't think they ever voted on it ..

5. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    There is not any reseeding that is correct, but the brackets for the 2nd round of the playoffs are not locked in.

Seeds are set at the start of the playoffs and then it is always Highest Seed vs Lowest Seed when doing the match ups for the next round of the playoffs.

What some people were crying about last year is the fact that a team with a lower record(SD) was hosting a team with a better record(Colts). Then they were also crying because Manning didn't get to play with the ball in OT. You can bet any amount of money you want, that if the rolls had been reversed and SD had gone to Indy and the chargers had lost in OT without getting the ball, then no one would have said ****.

6. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +200
    I am going to that game, was thinking the same thing. But it is the Giants vs. Dallas on Sunday night. The NFL has a ***** for the Manning family, and Jerry Jones will make a back room deal, as he wants his team prime time.

7. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Embracing the hate since 1963!!!

:abq2::abq1::abq2::abq1: