1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

You can't coach speed, and that's what this team lacks

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Oct 5, 2009.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    imo

When I watch really good games, the one thing that sticks out is the speed.

We seem to lack it, for whatever reason

:bolt::bolt::bolt:

2. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    I think we are okay on speed but it's explosiveness and effort we lack. It's like a kid that could be a straight A student but just puts in enough effort to get a C- because that's still passing. :icon_shrug:

3. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    if anyone has any doubt,

Adrian Peterson, MNF.

Now, don't jump on me with the LT hate but this guy is LT 3 years ago.

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL!! Our overall team speed is lacking big time

4. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Speed as in how? Lacking: Gates, yes. Jackson, no. Floyd, not sure but his size and hands make up for alot. LT, yes, Sproles, no.

5. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

the game itself, not one player

Minny & GB snap the ball and the play is off BANG!

With us, it's like watching paint dry,

PR, drops back....... fakes play action that NOBODY bites on, .....

maybe hands off for a run into the middle of the line..... or..... throws some impossible pass that may or may not be caught.....

and our defense, well, that's a whole different story

6. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +498
    I think is power/strenght that is lacking, guys are getting pushed back on both lines

7. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    But aren't you the one who mentioned one player?

8. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    This would be more like it. I also think because we are Bolts fans and see the game differently. After the Chargers are on a nationally televised game and I go to work the next day some say how good the Chargers looked and I'm thinking "what the hell are you talking about".

9. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    yes. yes I did.

the fact that I used that as an example does not take away from my original point.

Both GB and Minny are quicker on both sides of the ball than we are.

10. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I just can't buy into this.

These guys, at this level, are pretty close to being equal

11. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    All I get is smart a** comments like "what was the score?" or "the Bolts looked like they made a come back but fell short...

:icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

12. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Oh, and don't get me started with the fact that both of these teams have kicked the ball into the end zone every time

:icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

13. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Remember, I'm in NJ. So folks here pretty much here all the hypa about the players on the team so when they get a chance to see the I guess they feel like WOW that is what all the sportscasters are talking about.

I'm still lost on your original point. You say slow as a team yet I just don't see it. Does it take forever for us to get to the opposing QB? Yes, but I see that more as not having the push to get to the QB. Then on offense, we don't have the OL right now to hold off opposing rushers so it definitely looks like Rivers has half the time as other QB's to stay in the pocket. I can say offensively we look slow because of the time it takes Rivers to get the signals form the sidelines. Plus when we run the ball into the centers back for zero yardage that definitly gives the look of slow motion.

14. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    EXACTLY!! You say you don't see it but then point out the exact things I'm talking about!

Our players match up physically. At this level they must.

We just don't play with reckless abandon.

No huddle? have you seen it?

Quick screens? have you seen them?

blah blah blah

every year since 14-2

WHAT HAPPENED???

15. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    you are right Bolts,

we have no push on our lines

I just don't get it

16. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    dang, talk about quick

Minny just went 80 yards in 1:45

:icon_party:

17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    You can't coach desire either, and I think thats a bigger problem right now.

To call our D lax would be a compliment, they are not only slow they are stupid, they get blown of the LOS and often get lost in their own coverage scheme.

18. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +354
    You have to look at both GB and Minnies OL and DL as well. Minnesota's O-Line and D-Line are just down right nasty.

19. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,629
    Can't coach brains either, which we all know most of our D lacks.

20. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Offense is fine. Should be left out of the discussion as clearly speed or overall effectiveness is not an issue. We have a first class offense even with the rushing issues.

Special teams is fine as well and we have very effective units on all special teams units. Special teams does rely on good overall team speed and good coaching to be effective. It seems we have both.

It comes down to the defense.

So is it lack of line strength and experience? Definitely. We were getting plowed at the point of contact.
    Line speed? Maybe there is some quickness issues but in a 3-4 is that so important?

Linebacker strength? No.
    Lineback speed? On an individual basis I would say no.
    Linebackers out of position? Definitely. They cover the gaps very poorly on run plays and there seems a gapping hole in the middle of the field on all plays. You cannot run a 3-4 and not have the linebakers knowing their assignments and placing themselves at the proper point of attack.
    Linebacker aggressiveness? Definitely. Maybe our OLB are too agressive and are putting themselves out of the play too often.
    Linebacker Tackling? Technique they seem fine but they are so often out of position it doesn't matter.

For the DBs it is pretty the same story as the LB's but with the exception of Weddle and Jammer you have to say their tackling is abysmal. And not doubt they are always out of position, especially Hart.

I would agree it it must seem like we must lack team speed. I rarely see 4 or 5 reaching the ball carrier at the end of plays like other teams. After the initial hit you don't see the next guys arriving to lock him up.

But I think this is because they don't understand their assignments are consistently out of position. And they certainly are not finishing plays with aggressive pursuit. Philips, Jammer, and Weddle are is the only flying around and seem to be where they are supposed to be.

For me this is more of a defensive coaching issue than a personnel problem. If most of the 11 guys are pretty much clueless what they should be doing it has to be a coaching problem. If all 11 guys are not finishing plays it must be coaching.

Sorry Ron. Nolan has shown in Denver it is not so much the personnel but knowing your assignments and playing aggressive.

Overall: Weak DLine, confused LB's and safeties, soft coverages, and no one flying to the ball and finishing plays and you have a recipe for disaster.

It does leave some hope that we can get better as we did last year as the season wears on. But I think the Dline is so thin and weak that this disadvantage cannot be addressed adequately.

21. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Good post. The players have admitted they are not executing their assignments like they are supposed to. The defense is disjointed by blown assignments. The biggest problem I see is the sloppy tackling. It's not rocket science. In its most basic form, lock on to a guys crotch and home in on it. He's going nowhere that isn't. I see too many guys trying to deliver a blow and either glancing off or missing all together. Wrap the guy up and put him on the ground. Baseball players are told to take a smooth, controlled swing. Tackling isn't much different, just plant yourself into the guy. Weight and momentum will do the rest if you wrap the bastard up.

22. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Fully agree. Isn't there a way they can teach better tackling without putting the players at risk to injury?

I know there is no substitute for live drills but when the guys don't have the basics like tackling at the waist understood you gotta think there are ways to teach the techniques you describe safely.

May drills in sumo suits would work.

23. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,629
    It's time to put some different guys on the field. Give the kids a chance, the old guys aren't cutting it.

At this point I'd be trying ANYTHING.

24. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,770
    I understand what you are saying and I see them same thing. Our backs rarely bounce a play outside if the gap is clogged up. It always looks like we play in slomo, no fire or desire and especially no pop.

Our defense looks like they are stuck like glue to the turf and can't break away when engaged by an opposing player.

25. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    think they need to have Jammer & Weddle teach the guys how to tackle.