1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

You hate it, you fix it - Who to fire and Who to replace

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Oct 4, 2009.

1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    :tup: :tup:

Though I doubt Chucky will work under AJ! Or any other coach with a proven past. :icon_evil:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    No you have partied with the Harts and listened to Mrs. Hart complain about the mean, mean men of Chargers.com who dont like her husband. Sice becoming a Hart 'insider' you have steadfastly refused to critique him at all and just hang from his nut sack.

You say you have the will to call it like you see it, so you are either blind or flat out just not telling it like it is...

• Like Like x 1
  3. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Chucky for coach and Holmgren for GM. :icon_shrug:

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    they can blow the whole thing up, imo, if they're going to play like they did last night

5. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +326
    View attachment 1504

Is this the Chucky you are talking about?????? :icon_shrug:

Attached Files:

6. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976

or playing it like a politician, its the D-line's fault.

7. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    My take on the small strides we could make...

Bench Hart for Ellison, I don't even remember Ellisons play in college, and I know he supposedly can't cover very well, so what neither can Hart, believe me, Ellison won't be the main reason we lose ball games.

As everyone else knows and agrees, demote Cromartie to Nickel. Cason is a better cover guy at this point.

Stop playing in whatever so called zone Cromartie claims to be lining up in, you know, the zone where he is on man coverage and gives every reciever 12 yards of cushion.

I'd like to say get 5 linebackers on the field in 1st through 3rd but I also don't know if Merriman will ever be the same as most of us have worried and speculated for a year and a half now. So I don't know how much that would help.

Heal up, once again don't know how much that will help.

... that's all I got at this point as I have to run, to be continued.

8. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    First off, great thread. Ant mans up and takes a clear stand.

I don't agree with breaking up the left side of the OL. One of the few areas we can count on. Good luck replacing McNeil and Dielman. That is just crazy talk. So is getting rid of Philips. Merriman will be unsignable but franchise him as necessary. Grimm for HC is a stretch IMO. Our next coach must have a ring in his HC resume or is a college legend. Isn't it time Pete Carroll rotates back into the pros? We need a proven winner just for the confidence factor.

Trumpy is pretty much right on except he cannot give AJ a full pass like that. AJ has built a team 80% devoid of line talent. Who the hell does that?

If your philosophy is to build from trenches out and your GM ignores the trenches for 3 years in a row how can you unconditionally support him?

Filling the trenches with rental car agents and Canadians is not exactly GMmenship at its best. Very Bobby Beathard of him.

AJ was a God. Too many foolish drafts in a row to retain that status.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'll take a kid who's hungry enough to work a rental car job, continue to work out, & play his way to success over someone like an overpaid Tyson Jackson. And Martin will come around. He wasn't expected to have to play this much this year. I'm more upset over picking up Travis Johnson, who has a long injury history & continues to further that here.

I'm not a big fan of AJ & feel that he has neglected the trenches for far too long, but don't dismiss these hungry kids just because they aren't playing at a high level right now. At least they're showing some heart.

Hart needs to sit, Gregory plays in the dime, Ellison/Spillman rotate at the other safety position.

As for coaching changes - I'm not even going to go there. I'd prefer not to see coaches that I respect get castrated in San Diego.

10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Do you remember how competitive this Chargers team was prior to A.J. Smith?

Do you remember the 1-15 season under someone elses regime?

Do you remember at the start of every season after the Coryell era was over and until A.J. Smith arrived, how we did not expect to do crap in the division let alone the league (except for a short run with Bobby Ross).

This team had no heart between the Coryell era and until Bobby Ross arrived as the coach and then again when Marty arrived.

Now ask yourself how many years in a row can Chargers fan say that "now we have a chance to win and win it all" We had a couple of years with Brees and now a few with Rivers. When was the last time we put together that kind of streak or mojo?

I ask myself those questions and remember the pain.

Realize what we have NOW compared to what we are USED TO are light years apart. A.J. is the difference maker.

11. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Have Spanos either Grow a Set of Testicles or sell the team to someone who does.

AJ Start to earn your Paycheck or you are fired and get someone else in here to do the job Better. We needed O-line and D-line Help for ages and we have not gotten it in a long while. AJ please do something you do not normally do and go into Free Agency and get as much BEEF on Both Sides of the Ball as Possible. Then Go into the Draft to Get more BEEF, also get a Great find as a RB as well if possible.

Get Wade Phillips Back some how for the DC Job and get if possible Wades Team of Defensive Coaches that he hand selects.

Get rid of what we have now on Defense as our Coaches.

Make Norv our OC and get in either of these guys as our HC. They are:

Pay the man what ever he wants is Bill Cowher.
    This one people are going to kill me and I do not care is the Cheat himself Bill Belichick he is a proven winner and would instill that with the Chargers.

Allow both Cowher and or Belichick to Hand Select the OC and Offensive Coaches.

ST's Coach that is a ????? for and I do not know where to go sorry.

Fire Jeff Hurd and Vernon Stephens as our Strength and Conditioning Coaches and get a much better Strength and Conditioning Coach or Coaches.

Get Players here that want to give their all for the Bolts to get that ring and Lombardi.

That is what I would do.

12. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    So, you're selling the whole 'blow the thing up' plan.

If we end up 8-8, miss the playoffs (at this point, no way I'm thinking SB) then I will scream it from the highest mountain.

BLOW THE FUKER UP! :icon_evil:

13. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    At this point with my emotions is a yes.

Here is the big thing, if we make the playoffs at 8-8 again but do not make the SB, then we do need some changes but not the whole thing Blown up.

That is my thoughts.

14. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Everybody wants the kids to succeed. Who doesn't like these miracle stories? Gates etc.

But lets not have it be Plan A.

15. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    I hear you. You can't argue what the man has accomplished in building a reasonably consistent winner.

But we want to win a freaking Superbowl and not just win the West. We all know these lines he has put together won't get us there. Close but no cigar is not good enough to cure a 50 year drought. I first became a fan at 6 and now half my hair is grey. I need to be taken to the promised land.

A little objectivity and constructive criticism on the man wouldn't hurt.

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    It wasn't. Jamal went down & Rivera & Johnson's boy Scott sucked ***. Travis Johnson has continued his injury-plagued history here.

Plan B is now in effect thanks to ignoring this problem for the last few years.

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Sounds kinda like Buffalo-lite, no? :icon_shrug:

18. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    A.J. has made some mistakes....letting Wes Welker go ... signing Olivea, Hester and Buster Davis, Igor, D-Flo but the good outweighs the bad is pretty much my point.

I want a Superbowl as well. 1965 was my first game that I attended so I am jonesing hard knowing we are the last team in this division to win it all. I do not want to start all over with a new GM and then wait another 4-5 years to expect a winner. Death is closer than my birth for me as well so our time is just about over.

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I hear ya on that, T-man. While I certainly haven't been a Charger fan as long as you, I want a championship bad & MY window of opportunity is closing as well. :lol:

So let's say that you're right, AJ is the man, & Spanos is the weak link in the structure or the evil genius behind a move to a larger market. Will a change in ownership or venue get you any closer to a championship?

20. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Spanos is not actually the weak link. He is smart as a fox and playing it the way any savvy business man would. He is doing "just enough" to give the illusion due diligence is being met without breaking the bank. A change in ownership is about the only thing which will work at this point or Spanos pulling out all the stops to win it all.

Neither is happening so that leaves some of the fans putting all expectations into "check mode" for this year or believing in fairly tails.

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    That's why I said weak link in the structure or evil genius behind the move.

I agree - I also think that the due diligence of looking for a new stadium site is a smokescreen. Sorry for you locals, but the NFL requires big bucks to play at a high level & Spanos wants a bigger market, regardless of the lip service that he's giving.

If he really wanted a stadium in SD, you'd have one by now. He's been in that market long enough to know how to get deals done.

If he really wanted a championship, more steps would have been taken to secure the proper pieces. Where I fault AJ is for coming off as such a hard-nosed, stand-up guy while in actuality he's either a) not strong enough to stand up to Spanos, irregardless of the consequences or b) part of the scheme.

22. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The costs to build a stadium have dropped by at least 25% if not more due to the recession.

Check out the recent articles in the Press Enterprise (PE.COM) where one local $800 million freeway will now cost under $700 million. Contractors are bidding very very competitively and material prices are at all time lows (concrete included).

When you hear the words "it does not pencil" be very wary of that catch-all phrase. :yes:

Housing is on the rebound and the smart play is to position yourself to capitalize when the prices, especially land, are at all time lows.

23. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Speaking of that have the condo prices near Petco come down to where nice deals can be had? Anyone recommend a nice building with some nice bargains down there?

24. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,772
    I hate whiners more than anything else. I've seen fire Norv, fire AJ threads, tell me do you really believe that is the answer?

If you believe it is I have something to sell you.

Our players, save for a few have no heart, they're just collecting huge paychecks. Hel,l I'd shave my head into a Mohawk if I could make SM's money.

25. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976

to fire Norv at this point in time is ridiculous. He is under contract for the whole year so you might as well get value for the buck. What that does is buy us time to look at all the possible candidates, and start to narrow down who you want to bring in for the interviews.

26. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Martin and OG were the two primary outside guys brought in to aid a weak Dline before the season started. That was AJ's Plan A in terms of new adds.

I really think these guys will turn into good players but man talk about putting them on the hot seat.

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    They would have been rotating in with Cesaire & Bingham. Cesaire is back, Bingham & Jamal are gone, Scott sucked. That put Oggie in the middle & Martin in earlier than expected.

28. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I'm not one to believe this start is Norv's fault as much, I do think AJ hasn't lived up to his hype.

Cromartie - Obviously replace with Casone, maybe look at McCalister, I think Marcus Trufant is tradeable.

Hart- Bernard Pollard

Merriman - English

29. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    Agreed but I'd rather put Ellison in before getting Pollard who is with the Texans and happy

30. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    we need some better receivers!!!! We have one decent receiver, Jackson and a tight end!! Everyone else sucks and yet rivers is still putting up all pro numbers. We'd be so good if we had someone like michael crabtree!