1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Your 53..

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, May 12, 2014.

1. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +521
    I read somewhere that the possibility of a 7th rounder making any NFL final roster has historically been about 35% (what I was reading pertained to Michael Sam making the Rams final)

The reason I said Clary is also about 3:1 is because out of the possible 3 at that position, if he is the absolute worst behind two other RGs, then he ought to lose his job and Chargers tenure, hence the reason that I don't see it happening, specially when other tangibles and intangibles as you have cited are also factored in ;)

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,401
    Why does everyone forget about the long snapper? ;)

3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    Troutman is still worse....... #imjustsaying ;)

4. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +521
    Just this LSer just because he's not as cool as David Binn who dated a bunch of hot chicks including Pam Anderson, back in her heyday ;)

5. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +521
    I don't think he'll be on the final roster ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    Good point. :tup:

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    I have my doubts as well.

8. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +176
    This discussion got me thinking.. Why the hell don't centers master the skill of long snapping? Not saying this about Hardwick but just in general. For a lot of lineman coming into the league it would increase their value to a team instead of having to burn a roster spot on a LS, similar to how a WR that can play special teams increases his value and likely hood of making the final 53 (Ex: Kassim Osgood and Seyi Ajirotutu) Or do most teams have offensive lineman as their LS already and we are just one of the foolish teams wasting a spot on a LS?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    I think once you have a good unit in place, kicker, punter, LS, holder you want to keep that unit together was long as possible. The slightest changes can throw these guys off, so why screw with a good thing.

I totally get the roster spot though. Include the 3rd QB and still try to have a few developmental guys on the team and it's hard. I wish they would expand the roster to at least 55 to give a little extra breathing room.

10. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    Looks pretty good, but what notable cuts were made to be make room for your 3 UDFAs? You got 3 QBs too(I dont see that happening.) Someone had to have been cut to make room. I see Law missing(I hope he makes it). Oh and Floyd, but thats only two.

11. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Marshall, Brandon Taylor, Floyd, Tourek Williams, Kieser, Phillips, Geathers all missing. All on last years squad.

12. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    Hmm...I dont know if I can see so many of these UDFAs taking spots from last years players that produced(ex. Kieser vs. Underwood, Marshall or C. Davis) Or a draft pick like Tourek Williams who had his moments(strip sack on Manning was beautiful).

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,602
    Marshall: was there out of desperation, don't see him being there anymore
    Taylor: Unfortunate reality of the NFL, thought he could be something special
    Floyd: Until and unless I see real progress he's not on it
    T. Williams: Haven't seen enough to show why I should keep him
    Keiser: He sealed his fate with his attack and with Attaouch
    Phillips: You aren't talking about Shaun are you?
    Geathers: I like him but why keep him around w Carrethers?

Btw: Anyone miss English? Bueller?

14. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    No, John Phillips the TE we signed last year to a 3 year deal. I can see them cutting him if Johnson is better, but I think he's going to stay.

Taylor isn't an automatic cut, but he's going to have to really bring it in camp and if he's not healthy enough, he may even get an injury settlement.

I think Tourek Williams has a really good chance of being the 5th OLB. We could keep six considering the age of the Freeney and Johnson, but then special teams suffers if we have to carry only 4 ILBS and Walker and Gachkar both add a lot there. So I think we keep 10 LB's, 5 of each.

I sure hope Floyd is on this team.

Geathers, probably needs to offer some help at DE to stick around.

Keiser, yeah he's probably done.

I guess it's a Freud thing with English, my mind doesn't even entertain the possibility he's one the team.

15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610

Phillips tore his ACL in the playoffs I believe, I think that's the only reason his roster spot is in question. He's a good player and I hope he makes it back.

16. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    The thing he's got going for him is he's kind of a classic TE regarding his skills and build, classic inline TE receiving and blocking skills. Johnson probably just takes McClain's roster spot as a FB/H-Back hybrid and it's an even wash.

17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    Ricky Henne‏@ChargersRHenne May 11
    New Player Numbers: Verrett - 22, Attaochu - 97, Watt - 65, Carrethers - 92, Grice - 26, Reese - 84

18. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    I suspect when the season starts Attaochu will be wearing

57 or 51:whistling:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Chris Davis isn't beating out Marshall. He isn't that Good a CB on the college level. His claim to fame is that FG return otherwise nobody Is talking about him.

Wired via Nexus 5

20. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Funny,... What exactly has Underwood showed you? Lame comment.
    Marshall was resigned knowing we had Williams coming back. So what did Davis show you other than a kick return? Like most players, I'm sure you never saw him play CB.

Wired via Nexus 5

21. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +125
    This as well as the fact that you want a TE/LB like guy to be a long snapper, because they need to be able to cover punts, as he's one of the 3 or 4 guys who can release as soon as the balls snapped. A C like Hardwick would be useless covering punts.

Also LS's at this level have an insane ability, these guys practice the amount of rotation that the ball goes through between them and the holder so the holder can just catch and place it down. Its honestly insane how exact these guys practice this stuff...

• Like Like x 1
  22. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    Marshall- Desperation? Maybe at first, but then Marshall played really well and took over Cox's spot. He's consistent. He is a large reason why our defense improved so much during the end of the last season. He showed enough for them to resign him. He knows the system and is dependable, C. Davis will have to show A LOT to take his spot.

Floyd- Fair enough, but I think based on the fact TT waited tell the 7th round to take a WR is a real good sign that Floyd is progressing really well and he expects him to be ready.

T. Williams- Remember the strip sack on P Manning? Also what has Underwood shown? Corrdarro Law would be more likely to replace him than Underwood. But I'm predicting Law takes English's spot.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  23. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    Tourek Williams not Steve Williams

• Old Old x 1
  24. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +176
    Also, In addition to what everyone else has already said about Marshall I think he makes the team as he will be the only veteran at the CB position

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    I was literally typing that very same thing. the fact that he has actually played NFL snaps warrants him a roster spot

26. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Understood. We were talking about Tourek first, then Steve referencing Marshall.

27. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    (24)
    QB: Philip Rivers, Brad Sorenson
    RB: Ryan Matthews, Danny Woodhead, Donald Brown, Marion Grice
    WR: Keenan Allen, Malcolm Floyd, Eddie Royal, Vincent Brown, Tevin Reese, Seyi Ajirotutu
    TE:Antonio Gates, Ladarius Green, David Johnson
    RT: DJ Fluker, Mike Harris
    OG: Jeremy Clary, Chad Rinehart, Chris Watt, Johnnie Troutman
    LT: King Dunlap, Mike Harris
    C: Nick Hardwick, Rich Ohrenberger

(26)
    DE: Corey Liuget, Kendall Reyes, Lawrence Guy
    NT: Sean Lissemore, Ryan Carrethers, Kwame Geathers
    OLB: Melvin Ingram, Dwight Freeney, Jerry Attaochu, Jarrett Johnson, Tourek Williams, Cordarro Law
    MLB: Donald Butler, Manti Teo, Kavell Connor, Reggie Walker
    CB: Shareece Wright, Jason Verrett, Steve Williams, Brandon Ghee, Richard Marshall
    S: Eric Weddle, Marcus Gilchrist, Jahleel Addae, Darrell Stuckey, Alden Darby

(3)
    K. Nick Novak
    P. Mike Scifres
    LS. Mike Windt

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  28. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    I don't know much about Davis, but I think it may be hard for a UDFA to make the team this year. The team is big on their UDFA scouting and recruiting, it's something Spanos refers to a lot. I'm sure they want to keep it that way. But we have a number of projects from last year returning, these are the first group of backend roster players this new regime as tried to develop and I think many of these guys could make significant strides this year. Making it harder for newer guys to stick.

Marcus Cromartie, Geathers, Becton, Tourek Williams, Kerwyn Williams, Tobias Palmer, Zack Boren. These year two projects are always the guys I look at in training camp/OTA's/ Preseason, because they've spent a year with the team and can sometimes make a big jump. It's still a crap shoot, but it's something to look forward to when everything else had been discussed a thousand times.

I will say that this years draft was so much deeper, that a number these undrafted guy from the 2014 draft class could be pretty good.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  29. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,054
    I've never forgot a long or short Snapper to be honest.

And Poofessoria, I agree with you 100% .....................I'd dump Larry the Lemon and James the Lamb well ahead of Jumpy, they have contributed absolutely Sweet FA in their tenures, totally embarrassing picks those 2.

30. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,054
    Sad to say .........................but true nonetheless. :(