1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Your 53..

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, May 12, 2014.

1. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Not bad, but I would bet a testicle Kellen Clemons is on the roster unless he really stinks it up. I can't tell you how many times I heard about the "QB room" with this new staff and I think they want another veteran guy around for Rivers, especially with a new QB coach.

Another guy people are forgetting is Domik Scafe, he's a 34 DE we've spent several years developing and I've heard Spanos and the several players talk about him highly, he got hurt in preseason I think. He could easily take that last DL spot from Geathers, since his skills may be redundant with Carrethers here.

2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    I think it'll be easier than it has in the last 10 years personally. Other than Becton who I think has actual starting potential, none of the other guys you named shown anything to get excited about.

Chancellor is the one I'm going to keep the closest eye on.
    Ducre interests me as well, clearly an elite athlete, and a solid tackler, but low level on FBIs I think.

3. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Maybe, I do think this group of UDFA could be really good considering the depth of the draft. Most of the guys I listed are likely crap but that's always the case. However, Cromartie, Geathers, Tourek Williams and Becton all spent time on the actual roster last year. All them are pretty good prospects athletically and have been in the system a year. I don't discount that.

But as for the roster, just look at it. There really isn't much wiggle room to be honest, unless they start trading or cutting guys like Troutman, John Phillips, Brad Sorenson or Vincent Brown.

Then you have the two CFL guys, who are more experienced than the new rookies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    Thinking outside the box here, Seeing how Freeney is mentoring Attaochu, and Clary is bound to restructure at some point before the season starts, do you guys think there is an outside chance the Chargers can bring in Asante Samuel (who Verrett has mentioned many times how he models his play after him) to help mentor him? as well as provide more depth

Also with the lack of WR out there in FA, its apparent the 5 or 6 we keep are on this roster

Allen, Royal, Ajirotutu (for ST's) are the only 3 that have a permanent spot

Brown (likely, although I wouldn't be surprised if its his last season here)
    Floyd (based on health)
    Inman (very intriguing, tall, fast WR, can he bring his CFL talent to the big league?)
    Reese ( I think stays just for his upside, if he can bring the speed to the return game, its a plus)

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    My 53....

Offense
    QB: Rivers, Sorenson
    RB: Mathews, Brown, Woodhead, Grice
    TE: Gates, Green, Johnson, Flacco
    WR: Allen, Floyd, Brown, Royal, Inman
    LT: Dunlap, Becton
    LG: Watt, Troutman
    C: Hardwick, Ohrnberger
    RG: Rinehart
    RT: Fluker, Harris

Defense
    DE: Liuget, Reyes, Guy, Scafe
    NT: Lissemore, Carrethers, Palepoi
    OLB: Freeney, Ingram, Johnson, Attaochu, Williams
    ILB: Butler, Te'o, Conner, Gachkar
    CB: Verrett, Wright, Williams, Butler, Ghee
    FS: Weddle, Stuckey
    SS: Addae, Gilchrist

STs
    P: Scifres
    K: Novak
    LS: Windt
    KR/PR: Reese

PUP: Phillips

With this in mind, I think it's very possible we will sign a player or two between now and final cuts who will make the roster.

6. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382
    GTFO boltjolt 7 years ago your takes were horrible and 7 years later you're 7 years more senile

7. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382
    this is the mtl 53 man roster

QB

Philip Rivers
    Kellen Clemens
    Brad Sorensen

RB

Ryan Mathews
    Danny Woodhead
    Donald Brown
    Marion Grice

WR

Keenan Allen
    Eddie Royal
    Malcom Floyd
    Vincent Brown
    Tevin Reese
    Brelan Chancellor

TE

Antonio Gates
    Ladarius Green
    David Johnson

OL

King Dunlap
    Chad Rinehart
    Nick Hardwick
    Jeromey Clary
    DJ Fluker
    Rich Ohrnberger
    Chris Watt
    Mike Harris
    Johnnie Troutman

DL

Corey Liuget
    Sean Lissemore
    Kendall Reyes
    Ryan Carrethers
    Ricky Tjong-A-Tjoe
    Kwame Geathers
    Lawrence Guy

LB

Melvin Ingram
    Dwight Freeney
    Donald Butler
    Manti Te'o
    Jarret Johnson
    Jeremiah Attaochu
    Kavell Conner
    Reggie Walker

CB

Shreece Wright
    Jason Verrett
    Richard Marshall
    Steve Williams
    Brandon Ghee

S

Eric Weddle
    Marcus Gilchrist
    Jahleel Addae
    Darrell Stuckey
    Alden Darby

K

Nick Novak

P

Mike Scifres

LS

Mike Windt

8. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    Scafe isn't a NT. Geathers purpose is depth. If Lissmore or Carrethers goes down we would be screwed.

I'm betting on Sorenson making the roster based on how well he did in the preseason last year, and the fact that hes Reich's "guy". They drafted him. Guy was great. Not room for both.

9. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    When was the last time this team carried three NT? There has been discussions all offseason how a NT in our system is a part-time rotational player. If we have two guy's in Lissemore and Carrethers, how much room is there for a third guy? I'm not writing Geathers off, but if he can't add anything as a DE it's going to be hard to justify his roster space. This team probably needs either another stout 34DE or another rotational inside pass rusher to help spell Luiget and Reyes more than a third NT.

I bet they keep three QB's again this year, but we'll see.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  10. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    By the way looking at these rosters has me thinking. When you get to that last few roster spots and ST is the key factor in making the squad which skill is going to be more valuable to the team?

Return man or a really good gunner? That may be the battle for Tutu versus Chancellor.

11. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    How are Shareece Wright and Marcus Gilchrist not veterans though?

12. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +177
    Both players are currently on their rookie deal while Shareece has played just 16 games for us at CB and Gilchrist is just 25 years old and this was his first year as a full time starter as well. When I think of a veteran presence in sports I think of someone like Eric Weddle who has had years of experience and has seen everything before.

13. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +125
    Gilchrist is a FS for us...

Wright is a 2nd or 3rd year player. He's still really young and coming off his first year starting.

14. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    QB:
    • P. Rivers
    • K. Clemons
    • B. Sorenson
    RB:
    • R. Mathews
    • D. Brown
    • D. Woodhead
    • M. Grice
    TE:
    • A. Gates
    • L. Green
    • J. Phillips
    • D. Johnson
    WR:
    • K. Allen
    • E. Royal
    • M. Floyd
    • V. Brown
    • T. Reese
    OL:
    • K. Dunlap
    • D. Fluker
    • M. Harris
    • C. Rinehart
    • J. Clary
    • J. Troutman
    • N. Hardwick
    • C. Watt
    DL:
    • C. Liuget
    • K. Reyes
    • L. Guy
    • S. Lissemore
    • K. Geathers
    • R. Carrethers
    OLB:
    • M. Ingram
    • J. Johnson
    • D. Freeney
    • J. Attaochu
    • L. English
    ILB:
    • D. Butler
    • M. Te'o
    • K. Conner
    • R. Walker
    • A. Gachkar
    CB:
    • S. Wright
    • J. Verrett
    • B. Ghee
    • S. Williams
    • R. Marshall
    S:
    • E. Weddle
    • M. Gilchrist
    • J. Addae
    • D. Stuckey
    • B. Taylor
    ST:
    • N. Novak
    • M. Scifres
    • M. Windt
    I could potentially see dropping an ILB for another receiver or offensive linemen, but this is pretty much how I think it will play out.

15. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Weddle is more like a a FS. Gilchrist played more like a SS, and I'd argue that seeing how over 60 % of his snaps came at the nickel CB position.

Wright has had 1000+ snaps on defense since being in the NFL, and Gilchrist has has 1500+ snaps on defense since being in the NFL.

Wright is 27 and Gilchrist will be 26 come December. But, last year I wouldn't have called them vets; after their 2013 campaign's they're veterans. Especially Gilchrist who's seen a very good amount of action since his rookie season.

Both players will be entering their 4th years.

16. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I hate the idea of carrying 3 QB's when we have someone like Rivers as our starter.

17. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    We carried 3 NTs last year. Carrethers is Thomas's replacement.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  18. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Hey look whose back...Mr. Wanna Be relevent ....lol
    Well hey , that comment coming from you, that means.....well, Nothing! I see you havent changed a bit and im surprised you are still allowed to post here.

Anyways, keep reading what ill write, you will still learn something as usual( too bad im hardly here to help you out) and ill STILL keep an eye out for your allstar picks of Gartrell Johnson Trevor Laws, and Tim Dobbins(to name a few) to make the impact you predicted for them. Oh wait, they still have to be in the league.....oh well! :laugh:
    Thanks for your support and keep up the good work up there in Canada. Have a nice Day MTL.

19. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +177
    Just because they aren't rookies anymore doesn't make them veterans. A veteran is somebody with a lot of experience and just because they have some experience doesnt mean they have a lot of experience. Shareece has 13 starts and Gilchrist has 24 starts (majority of those at safety) I wouldn't exactly consider that to be a lot of experience. The real veterans or guys with a lot of experience on our defense are guys like Freeney (147 starts) , Weddle (93 starts), and Jarret Johnson (118 starts).

20. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +125
    I thought this originally, but go back and watch it. Weddle plays in the box on the majority of passing downs and really plays more like a SS. Gilly played more as an over the top FS, but dropped down to play the Nickel and we brought in Stuckey (or Addae later in the year) as another over the top S. I think people see Weddles body type and history as a CB and assume that he's a FS, but he really plays more like a SS.

21. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I believe this past year he was played out of position at times by Pagano, in which he struggled. When we went through those stretches when we had Butler or Te'o out he was using Weddle as a ILB. Which was quite ludicrous because your taking away from Weddle's strengths.

He's a ball hawk, baits the QB to throw in his direction. Explains he's top of the league among DB's in INT's the last 3 seasons with 12. But last year was a down year in terms of INT's because he had to cover for others most of the year. His best year was 2011, were he had 7 INT's.

22. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Well now your comparing lengthly vets to guys like Gilchrist and Wright.

Starts don't mean much. It's all about snaps. We could be playing in our nickel package 70 % of the game and our nickel CB isn't considered a starter. Does that mean the player he subbed in for (most likely a DL or LB) has more experience than him? Gilchrist and Wright have both started a year in their respective positions, Gilchrist started some games 2 years ago and was rotated in a lot his rookie season as well. If you want to make the case for Wright still not being considered a veteran that's fine. But Gilchrist is far from being inexperienced.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Lissemore was an DE/NT. A utility player, which what I'm saying about Geathers. He needs to play some DE or I don't seem him making it. Especially if Carrethers is good enough to be active on the game day roster from the start.

24. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +125
    He was never a single high, CF type guy though, and he'll never be that guy. A lot of his INT's came vs TE's or slot guys on intermediate routs over the middle. He's not an in the box S, but he's not a deep FS type either. He's more of a SS than he is a FS though. He makes a living roaming and reading the QB and not being limited to a deep role.

25. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +177
    I didnt know there were different tiers of veteran. You could call it snaps, starts, or whatever I used starts because that information was easily available to me. Im sure those 100 plus starts I mentioned would equate to like 10,000 snaps compared to the like 800 Shareece has at CB for us considering before last year he never got any time on defense between injuries and basically only playing special teams so to me I definitely wouldnt call shareece a guy with a lot of experience playing CB in the nfl. And Gilchrist switched to safety last year, maybe theyll move him back to CB maybe they will keep him at safety who knows but on top of that hes just 25 years old and probably has less than 1,000 snaps at the CB position as well.
    I dont want to get off track about how many snaps it takes to be considered a veteran and at what age you are considered a veteran, all I am saying is I think Shareece and our other young CB's could learn from a veteran guy or a "lengthy veteran" at the CB position. To me Shareece is a guy still learning the nuances of the position and having a guy with 8 years of experience playing the CB position in the NFL would only benefit Shareece and the rest of our extremely young CBs.

26. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    Still doesnt change the fact we had 3 people who could play nose. We need 3. Yes, it be nice if he had more versatility, but unless theres someone else that can play NT I see him making the roster as a insurance policy at the very least. You never know he may make a big 1st to 2nd year leap.

27. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    If he's blowing people up like he was in camp and carrying it over to the field, yeah they will keep him. It really shouldn't be too big of a deal to get him to play some 34DE, he might even be better suited for it. He's never going to be a DT on passing downs though. We need another one of those guys. That UDFA Palepoi from Utah might be the person.

28. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Well I hope they learned a lot with Jammer, Cason, and Marshall. Especially Jammer and Cason who were in their way for a good 2 years.

29. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Yeah I think Eric Weddle and Earl Thomas are very much similar. Obviously they're totally different players but I don't think it's far off. Both have a nose for the ball, Weddle might posses better ball skills though.

30. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    My 53

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1