1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Your biggest draft blunder

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by MasterOfPuppets, Apr 11, 2015.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    over the years which guys did you think would be all pros and were busts and viceversa?

Mine:
    He who should not be named
    Mike Williams WR
    Winston Justice OL
    Lane Johnson (too soon to tell)

2. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    I ain't too proud...since I've been following the draft closely, guys I thought were can't miss

Robert Gallery
    Kellen Winslow Jr.
    Aaron Curry
    LaRon Landry
    Levi Brown
    AJ Hawk
    Michael Huff
    Jermaine Gresham
    Nick Fairley
    Mark Barron
    Trent Richardson
    Jonathon Cooper
    Dion Jordan
    Charles Rogers

Not all of these guys are total busts, but definitely didn't pan out to be what I thought they were going to be heading into the draft.

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Some of my worst...

CB Morris Claiborn
    CB Prince Amukamara
    OT Jason Smith
    DT Glenn Dorsey
    DT Dewayne Robertson
    RB Reggie Bush
    LB Ernie Sims
    S Kenny Phillips
    OLB Dion Jordan (so far)
    OLB Justin Houston - I remember I didn't want him in the locker room.:rolleyes:
    OLB Clay Matthews - Didn't think he fit in the 3-4

Some of my better calls...
    WR Randall Cobb
    RB LeSean McCoy
    RB Maurice Jones Drew
    RB Matt Forte
    CB Brandon Flowers
    CB Jonathan Joseph
    DE Calais Campbell
    DE Cameron Jordan - I like Liuget, but there was no excuse to pass on this guy.
    S Jarius Byrd
    S TJ Ward - I was ready to take him at 28 if a RB didn't fall to us
    OLB Barkevious Mingo

Guys like JJ Watt, Calvin Johnson, and Darrelle Revis I won't count because everyone was high on them.

4. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    Kenny Phillips was on his way to a nice career before the unfortunate injury bug

If you wanna get sick, we could have had Cobb and Houston but opted for Gilchrist and Mouton. That's brutal to even think about

5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    *Cough* Mark Barron *Cough*

Courtney Upshaw was one that I was extremely high on.

I said Dontari Poe was going to be a bust and Stephen Hill was going to be a true number 1

I thought Cam Newton was going to bust and RG3 was going to be the better pro over Luck.

I was a fan of Christian Ponder and thought Justin Blackmon was going to be a bust (half right)

I was higher than most on Donta Hightower, Cam Jordan, and Bradley Roby

Knew Johnny Manziel was going to be out of the league within a few years (looking that way)

6. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    I couldn't believe we didn't take Cameron Jordan in 2011. I thought that was a slam dunk when he was there at our pick. Liuget has been good, but Jordan has been better. I was going to bring this up in a different thread but I read the Saints are willing to trade him because they don't wanna pay him. I was thinking maybe we could flip our firsts, they get 17 and we get 31 and kick in our 2nd. The value there is they move up 14 spots, don't have to pay the 2nd or 3rd round pick to do it and pick up a 2nd. Pretty reasonable in my opinion. At the end of the first, we could pick up maybe Owa, Preston Smith, Fisher, Erving, Tomlinson, Phillips or get lucky and Gordon or Gurley is still there. Any of those guys plus Jordan would be a nice 1-2 round for us.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +136
    My big, HUGE miss was that I Didn't think Watt was going to be a good 3-4 DE. But hey, look what steroids can get you kids....(but to be fair, I thought he'd be an elite LE for a 4-3, so I wasn't that wrong on him, just the position)

I was banging the table for either Martez Wilson (bust) or Justin Houston (HUGE hit) for our pick in the 2nd over Mouton. Didn't like Matthews, but mostly because of rawness moreso than him, also he's roided out too (and it shows in the pretty constant soft tissue injuries he gets, same goes for Cushing).

8. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    Definitely loved Trent Richardson coming out of Bama. Thought he was gonna be a beast.

Liked Dion Jordan too, in truth I haven't given up on him just yet, I think some of the problem with him is his fit with the Dolphins' scheme.

Thought Aaron Curry would be decent. I liked Gaines Adams too.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  9. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    I thought all 3 of those guys (Cushing for sure, Maulaga, Matthews) were all on the sauce. I still think people in the league suspected or knew of Matthews and that's why he fell to where he did in the draft.

10. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +136
    Maybe, but he probably fell to where he did because he was terrible in college. The dude was a speed rusher that had 4 sacks and was basically just an athletic freak (he had a god damn 1.49 10 yd split, which is INSANE). He was a huge project.

11. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    In recent drafts, I recall wanting the following players that have not turned as good as I thought they would be.

2008--Chris Johnson (pretty good, but I thought he was going to be the next LT)
    2009--Rey Maualuga
    2010--Rolando McClain, Terrence Cody
    2012--Mark Barron, Courtney Upshaw, LaMichael James
    2013--Menelik Watson, Jonathan Franklin (career cut short by injury)
    2014--Too early to tell but I thought Justin Gilbert and Johnny Manziel would be better than they have turned out.

12. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Rolando McClain can play, the dude just has serious issues off the field.

Gilbert and Manziel are welllll on their way to bust status. Classic Browns haha.

13. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,418
    David Carr is still my worst when it comes to how good I thought they were going to be compared to how good they actually were.

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    2003 - Boss Bailey
    2004 - Robert Gallery
    2005 - Mike Williams (sorta wanted him)
    2009 - Malaluga
    2010 - Terrance Cody (wanted Mathews but at our original pick in 20s)
    2012 - Mark Barron

15. mettadown

mettadown BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +29
    I thought Blaine Gabbert was gonna be better than Cam Newton. Watching the draft, at the time I thought we should've gone Prince over Leiguet in the 1st, Marvin Austin over Gilchrist and Martez Wilson over Mouton in the 3rd. Nick Perry, Brandon Taylor, Eddie Lacy I was wrong about and thought Melvin Ingram and Quinton Coples were gonna dominate from the 1st snap. Biggest miss was Von Miller, thought he would be too soft.

I was on the money with CJ Spiller, Casey Mathews, Lamichael James, Tavon Austin, Tyron Smith, Tim Tebow, RG3 (thought he'd bust, was wrong for the 1st season), Nailed it with Shea McCellin, Brandon Weeden, Muhammad Wilkerson, D.J. Fluker, Kenny Vaccaro, E.J. Manuel,

16. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Thus far Eric Fisher is making me look like a real moron; I'm only OK with that because he's a Chief. From the same class... Jonathan Cooper though I have a bit more faith in him to turn things around at this point than I do Fisher, TBH.

Jawan Jamison - freaking Jawan Jamison! I was convinced the guy was on a path to be another Curtis Martin.

I had more confidence in Bjorn Werner than I should have, but I still feel like he's been miscast - he's not a 3-4 EDGE, he's a 4-3 LDE.

James-Michael Johnson is another I whiffed on. I saw special traits.

I was always pretty sour on Gabbert, but I had confidence in Jake Locker. Someone should have slapped me and reminded me I was talking about "Jake Locker".

Alualu... I was feeling so smug when he was drafted so highly; figuring that pro scouts were seeing what I was so gushing over. Then he went and amounted to so very little.