1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Your draft pick pricetag for these following "questionable" players?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by IFiredCHart, Jan 18, 2010.

1. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87
    There are quite a few players who have generated potential trade/cut rumors based upon their continued antics/playoff failures:

Merriman--Cannot stay healthy, seems to be less effective since the PED bust, and is in AJ's doghouse on a regular basis.

Phillips--Big mouth, big mistakes when games matter, and big play when they don't.

Cromartie--Cannot tackle and is a distraction off the field.

Jackson--It pains me to say this, but between numerous on-the-field and off-the-field incidents, AJ may be padding his file. Personally, I think we can cope if the on-the-field crap stops.

Kaeding--Child, please.

Tomlinson--Ineffectiveness is becoming a liability.

Floyd--His value is quite high now, and I do not see him as our #2 WR of the future...plus, he has been injury-prone.

I can see us getting the following:

Merriman--We will offer max RFA tender, and someone will likely make an offer sheet, which we can accept for the 1st and 3rd.

Phillips--I am against trading Phillips, as I think we can get a 3rd at best.

Cromartie--Some dreg team could give a 1st for a once-elite corner...in the eyes of those who are enamored by INTs, anyway.

Jackson--1st and 3rd ala Merriman, but I would not bite.

Kaeding--Maybe a mid-rounder, using the Pro-Bowl credentials as a selling point.

Tomlinson--Cut, sadly.

Floyd--Maybe a 1st if someone matches our tender.

2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    I won't even entertain the Cromartie, Kaeding, or Phillips ideas. There is no chance in hell AJ lets them walk or trades them.

Merriman- 1st rounder.....he's not going to be extended so look for him to be RFA tagged, and look for teams to offer up a single 1st rounder in a strait up trade.

Jackson- MUST LOCK HIM UP, FORGET THE RFA TAG. I can see a dozen teams probably likely to dish out the 1st and 3rd compensations to steal him from us.....hell I would.

Floyd- Not eligable for the RFA tag, Not nearly as important as Jackson, but if he's reasonable with the price tag we should absolutely look to give him a 3-4yr deal.

Tomlinson- Sadly cut, I agree.

3. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +297
    I want to keep Merriman around. Realistically I think one of the outside LBers are gone.

On a related note, am I the only one who didn't really notice too much about English this year? I mean I didn't pay too much attention to him, but did he even do anything? Is this guy going to be able to be a starting OLB for us in the future?

4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I keep VJ, Floyd and Merriman. VJ long term Merriman for one more season, anyway.

5. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87

6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    It depends on years of NFL service.

0-2yrs....not eligable.
    3yrs....RFA eligable.
    4yrs....UFA eligable. (except in this uncapped season, I know that for sure)

Floyd just finished his 5th year, we've already tendered him an RFA contract once.......although I'm not sure if this CBA situation is a special deal where he is re-eligable.

7. Prito James

Prito James BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    Merriman- You tender the 1st and 3rd. If the staff believe he can comback to old Merriman. I try to sign.

Phillips- Keep if Merriman leaves, trade for 2nd rounder if Merriman stays.
    Cromartie- Trade to the highest bidder no matter what.
    Jackson - 1st and 3rd round tender, make every effort to retain.
    Kaeding - I like the guy, but damm. If I can't find a better kicker he stays, he goes if we sign a Viniteri or Stover type. Stays at least for camp if we draft one.

Tomlinson - I make an attemp to rework the contract again he comes back for swan song. He deserves it.
    Floyd- Absolutely must sign if Jackson isn't worked out. 1st round tender if Jackson is and hope he sign a solid deal for both sides.

This is our chance to restock the roster with a strong draft class coming up. 2 firsts and a possible combination of 2 or more 2nd or 2 or more 3rds would make a huge difference. Could be our next 2004 or 2005 type draft.

I sign a decent FA vet or two with quality leadership skills and some Super Bowl exposure.

Position I would look at in FA.
    TE
    RB
    RT
    C
    CB
    OLB
    FB

In the draft I hit
    C
    NT
    ILB or OLB
    CB
    TE
    RB
    T
    K
    P
    Maybe another RB or WR for PR or KR duties.

We need to ditch a few of these guys for picks for sure. Nows the time to retool into the post Marty and LT roster.

Sproles is another issue.

8. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Bolts won't let VJ, or Floyd leave. That's our #1, and #2 receivers.

Despite Floyd dropping some passes in the playoff game, and committing a penalty to bring back a catch and run by VJ.

Who do we have to replace either of them??? Then those players whoever they are would have to learn the system, etc.

Legadu is #3, Buster is #4.

Floyd has got better each year, and will be better next year.

Look for Gates, VJ, and Floyd to ALL have 1,000 yard seasons.

Floyd had over 700 yards this year, and didn't have much at all in the first half of the season. He was actually closer to 800 yards.

Even with us getting a 1,000 yard rusher next year, we still will have those 3 with 1,000 yards receiving. :yes: