1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Your gonna love this!! Big Ben #1 LMAO!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LT-Express, Sep 18, 2008.

1. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +353
  2. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +901
    I have no problem with their assessment of Roethlisberger. I think they were a little too high on Manning (but his team just won the Super Bowl). Of course they slobbered all over Cutler, and Romo plays for the Cowboys.

Phillip will never get the love those guys get, unless he wins the Super Bowl, and even then they'll just go to the "talent around him" card.

3. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Like the Giants have no talent :lol:

If not for Plaxico making good grabs on bad throws, Eli may never complete 50% of his passes.

4. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +353
    I do have a problem with the assesment of Ben...Ben should be #3 or 4 cause Ben is asked to do nothing more than manage the game. Romo right now is the best, followed by Rivers, Ben, Cutler, Manning

5. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...I know it's too early to properly assess Aaron Rodgers but I wouldn't be surprised if he surpasses Eli, Ben, Cutler and Romo. I've watched him quite a bit ever since he relaced Favre in the Dallas game last year. He looks unflappable, moves really well, is very accurate, gets rid of the ball quickly and is in the perfect system for him. He also had a damn good QB to study under. Rivers' only fault to me is his mobility and he looks jumpy in the pocket at times. The latter problem seems to be going away because he feels the rush better and just moves away slightly instead getting happy feet or getting rid of the ball too fast.

• Like Like x 1
  6. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Rivers' arm strength can't be too shabby he had no problem thowing the hail mary at the end of the Bronco game. He threw it from the Broncos 40 yard line and it landed 5 yards deep in the endzone.
    I think people question his arm strength because of his funky delivery.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...He actually threw it from the Charger 40...so that's 65 yards in the air.

8. chargerlipz

Ratings:
    +151
    Oops, you're right. I typed the wrong side. Well, you guys know what I meant. 45 yards wouldn't have been too impressive.

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    That's exactly how I'd rate them as well, but I might put Cutler ahead of Ben, since he plays in a less demanding scheme.

10. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    After the Steelers/Browns game when the lady reporter (don't remember who it was) was asking him about his injury, he kept on ignoring her and totally not answering the question. It was rude and stupid of him and I lost all respect for that lousy motorcycle driving twit.

What a rude, arrogant **** he was to her.

May he find another windshield to give a face massage to.

11. sosdfan

sosdfan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    IMO Rivers "lack of respect" stems from the perception that the Charger roster is the most talented in the NFL and he therefore should have accomplished more....Hopefully the final standings of the 2008 season will cure the problem:yes:

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    As I said in the other thread...

"Roethlisberger and Manning - each have a Super Bowl ring.
    Romo - Think they're going to talk bad about a Cowboy?
    Cutler - They're not going to talk bad about a Bronco either.
    Rivers - Safer to criticize without getting blasted by the NFL.

If Rivers was a Cowboy, they'd crawl up his a** and call him God.
    If Rivers was a Bronco, the the love he'd receive from the press would make Cutler look like Leaf."

But what's funny about Ben being #1?
    Rookie season - AFC Championship
    Second season - Super Bowl Title

Until proven otherwise, I'd say that's right.

Though what I think is a joke is Romo and Cutler being ranked higher than Rivers but that's the NFL for you.
    And all this crap we constantly hear about Rivers is just a punk with good weapons around him... I think they have him confused with Eli. BUT again, it's all about his last name and the team he plays for. If Eli chokes for the rest of his career, he'll still make the Hall of Fame. I GUARANTEE IT.

13. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +353
    Ya but they did that good, because he was only throwing the ball 15-20 times a game. I said earlier he was only asked to manage the game. They won all those games by running the football down everyones throats all day, GREAT defense, clock control.

And now that he is being asked to carry more of the load, they are having a hard time winning playoff games are they not?

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

That's what the best quarterbacks do.

They did lose a lot of the players they had that Super Bowl season but Ben is still getting them to the playoffs and keeping them competitive.

Out of all the QB's mentioned, I still don't see why Bed wouldn't be seen as the best. Rivers wins one this season, then things might be different.

15. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +353
    Really? Trent Dilfer won a super bowl too! And I am pretty sure it wasnt because he was a great QB. Its because he knew how to manage the game and let his defense win it for him.

Same thing with Ben Roethlisberger. He CANT be considered the BEST QB out of the bunch, cause his team was better at the time then everyone else's. I mean granted he is good and I dont take that away. But he is 3rd or 4th best out of that bunch.

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

True. If you don't know how to manage the game and don't have the leadership skills, you won't succeed regardless of how good your tools are.
    ei: Vinnie Testaverde

So far, Roethlisberger is the best out of the bunch until proven otherwise.
    I'm not saying Rivers can't do it. In fact, I know he can. Then we can say "Rivers is the best of the bunch!!" :yes:

17. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Yeah. The MVP award was a bit much. I mean, really? His performance was that good?

IMO, he has good moments but largely he's pretty pedestrian. They should have given it to someone on the defense.

EDIT: Without the "they led their team to the SuperBowl" aspect (which neither Manning nor Rothlesburger did) I would rate the QBs:

1 or 2) Rivers: Has led some of the most spectacular comebacks I've ever seen. Accurate. Now that he has a real #1 WR... explosive. If anyone doubts his leadership and grit they didn't see last years playoffs.
    1 or 2) Romo: I actualy haven't really seen him play. He could be #1.
    3.) Manning: Has some solid play but largely he's just good enough to get by, if not inconsistent. In the Superbowl he played okay. Not an MVP.
    4.) Cutler: He's going to need to produce for more than a game and a half against no pass rush to convince me. Obviously the media doesn't feel the same way. He was crowned before he ever really produced.
    5.) Rothlesburger: When managed well he can move the team forward. When unattended his limitations are exposed.

18. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...They should have given it to THE DEFENSE..period!

19. chargerlipz

Ratings:
    +151

Bolts4life, you know you're my brother in Chargerdome, but I have to disagree with you.
    This is like saying Trent Dilfer is better than Dan Marino or Dan Fouts cause he won a Super Bowl. Using their win-loss record or post season success as the main ingredient to gage how good a QB is doesn't seem right to me. Super Bowl wins don't define how good a QB is, it defines how good a team is.

20. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Yes, I know chargerlipz. You're my brutha too!!!
    Though your right. Super Bowl wins do define how good the team is but my point was that game management and leadership is a huge part of a QB's success.

Marino and Fouts were great QB's and leaders but their teams were not solid enough.

Trent was not the most physically gifted QB but he has the smarts to manage the game and lead the team. He also had plenty to work with.
    Though not any QB could have lead that team and won it all. If you remember, Tony Banks was their starter up to week 7. They went for 5 straight games without scoring a touchdown. Billick finally pulled him an put in Trent.

Though if Fouts or Marino was their starter, they would have shreded any defense!

21. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +491
    If the defense had done it's job Rivers would have 2 comeback victories this year

If Ed Hoch....(well, you know) Cutler would have choked away a game this year

If Asante Samuel catches a gimme int Sheli would have choked in the superbowl

I know, a lot of ifs but I'm just saying :icon_shrug: