1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Your most memorable football season is:

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Ok, I figure it is a slow offsason so I wanted to try this.

Think back to your most meorable football season. Give a brief summary of it, and let us know what it is that burned into your memory.

Thanks, I will start out.

2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Chargers win the division after starting 0-4

The year was 1992. Bobby Ross was the new head coach of the Chargers and after four games things looked to be same-o same-o.

The Chargers lost opening day 24-10 to the Marty Schotenheimer coached Kansas city Chiefs. They followed that by a 21-13 loss to the Denver Broncos, then a 23-6 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers and then an embarrassing 23-0 loss to the Houston oilers.

The fans were not happy. Inside the NFL was on HBO, and had the best cast they ever had, Len Dawson, Nick Bonacoti, and Chris Collinsworth. I remember watching and hearing Collinsworth mention that everyone needed to watch out for San Diego, the schedule, combined with what Coach Ross was doing could combine and see them sneak the division away from everyone else.

He was soundly laughed at, and even I thought he was high. But wins over Seattle, Indianapolis, Denver, Indianapolis (again), Tampa bay, Los Angeles (Raiders), Phoenix (Cardinals), Cincinnati, LA (Raiders), and Seattle again propelled them not only into the playoffs, but made them the first team in NFL history at the time to win their division after an 0-4 start. They only lost one more game after the initial 4, that was to the Chiefs.

They won their first playoff game shutting out bitter rival KC 0 to 17, then faltered against Miami. But for the first time in a long time, the Chargers, the city and the fans got a taste of championship caliber football. And Chris Collinsworth of all people was right about the Chargers success…

That is my most memorable season as a young Charger fan.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +714
    I gotta go with 1994.
    I had always been a casual Chargers fan living up in LA and hating the faiders. I moved to SD for grad school. As a broke grad student one of my buddies Lumpy's dad had season tickets and was living out of state so they were split among his son's and I got to attend my first live chargers games that year. I was hooked!

Being in SD there was a feel of destiny that year, and although we all know how the SB ended the love and emotion the city showed in embracing it's team that year made me want to be a bigger and more passinate fan.:flag::abq2::icon_toast:

• Like Like x 3
  4. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    I've got to go with this season just because of the London trip where i got to meet the players most noticeably Antoine Cason :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Makes sense. :tup: Expand on that. What was he like? :icon_toast:

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,631
    1994. Super Bowl. End of story.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    2007-2008 Patriots. It was the most stressful Patriots season I have been through since they began.

To go the route undefeated and then lose the SB in the final minutes was hearbreaking....then 14 plays into the next season Brady goes down. 11-5 and not make the playoffs.

Vegas has them 8-1 to win the SB this year. I'm psyched.

Good luck to the Chargers as well.

8. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    The Patriots are going to miss the playoffs for the second straight year. Hate to break it to you.

• Like Like x 1
  9. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    this is a tough question for us old farts.

for me, my earliest memories are from the 60's. I was a pup, but I do remember Balboa stadium.

I have very fond memories of the Coryell years.

The SB year was by far the most significant.

Then moving to Michigan, the 14-2 season will always stay close

:icon_party::icon_party:

• Like Like x 1
  10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,649
    1992 or 2004
    2006 is close as long as you don't talk about the playoffs - also because that was the first year of "Bolttalk" really taking off, so had some ridiculously good memories

11. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    ha! good call.

Bolttalk has made it's mark, FOR SURE!!

:icon_toast::icon_toast:

12. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    To be honest. This coming year. :yes:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +251
    As exciting as the LT era in San Diego has been so far, I have to go with 1994...nobody gave the Chargers a chance and they just kept finding crazy ways to get it done...until they hit that SF chainsaw in Miami. It was my second season with tickets and it was just insane at the "Murph". From the first game of the season when the Chargers came from behind in Denver and beat the donkeys with real lightning flashing in the distance I had the feeling that season was going to be something special. Seeing Coach Shula jump out of his skin every time we fired the cannon after scoring on the Dolphins in the playoffs was great and when Gibson knocked down that pass on the goal line against Pittsburgh my Charger fan buddies and I nearly wrecked my living room...chips and salsa everywhere!!!!

...but, the topper will be WHEN we win the whole darn thing!!!

:abq2::flag::abq2:GO CHARGERS!!!!!:abq2::flag::abq2:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    You are right on all four counts.:tup:

I'd also like to throw in the 1981 season, if for no other reason than THE game between us and Miami. I've never seen a more exciting game before or since, and I'll remember it when I'm 90 and drooling in my own lap. 'Nuff said!:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Gotta go with 1981. Air Coryell in full bloom with three 1000 yard receivers, Epic in Miami, Freezer bowls, 140 degree difference in temperature between those games.

Not a great ending but what a great book.

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I visited San Diego for the first time with my fiancé (at the time) and we saw the Chargers beat the Quiefs as they went to 6-0. It was amazing!!!!
    I remember seeing t-shirts saying "Protect Stan" and "I was a Die Hard Chargers Fan Before They Were 5-0."

When people overheard the I was from Baltimore, they wanted to talk to me and ask why I liked this team. All I could say was "They were my team since I started watching football, even though we used to have the Colts."

In the end, after celebrating a great victory... we were chanting "BOLTimore!!!"

Stan will ALWAYS be one of my all time favorite Chargers!! :yes:

17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,773
    To many great years for me to pick just one, but every up and coming season is special to me. I just love this team and I still miss the AFL.

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Gotta go with last year as it was my first time to see the Chargers in person at Qualcomm, meet a bunch of great fans, & participate in a fun 'gater.

Oh yeah - and we beat the Chiefs!!! :tup:

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    :tup: :abq2: :tup:

20. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Hey Conc,

1992 is also my choice. I went to that Pittsburgh game, which we lost to go to 0-3. My section was about 80% Steeler fans, it was definitely one of my low points as a Charger fan.

But then we got our legs under us, and started playing smash-mouth football. The key to that team was our defensive line, we were able to pressure the QB without blitzing, it allowed Bill Arnsbarger to implement his bend don't break style of defense. We never gave up big plays, kept the score close, and our running game did the rest.

One memorable game that year was the Sunday night ESPN game at home against the Raiders. I think it might've been the first year ESPN was doing that, so it was all new. We totally kicked Oakland's ***, had the ball for like two full quarters, Blaise Winter did his "seizure" sack dance for the first time...

In 1992, everything was new, it was the first respectable Charger team in my adult life. The networks actually started showing Charger games in Orange County, we didn't get the 7th string announcing teams any more, and when that 1st playoff game started against KC, I almost had to pinch myself. I couldn't believe my team was actually in the postseason.

• Like Like x 3
  21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Excellent post! Blaze was the man! :tup:

Thanks for sharing that!

22. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    There are just way too many to have but just one season.

I’ll never forget going 1 and 15.

Watching the greatest Playoff Game ever played and winning it was just awesome.

Being in Pittsburgh to watch them beat the Steelers to go to the Super Bowl was simply magnificent.

I will never forget the Holy Roller.

I will never forget watching Houston come in with a patchwork lineup and beating us in our house.

I will never forget New England coming here and kicking our butts after a couple of bone head plays.

Every game is great when you meet up with good friends in the parking lot and hoist a few cold ones.

I can’t pick just one season.

23. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +194
    The 1981 season and the Miami heat game.
    but soon after the 14-2 season with LT's record.

• Like Like x 1
  24. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Cason was suprised that there was someone in England who knew what position he played, what college he played at. He was a down to earth awesome guy and he will be a future probowler

• Like Like x 1
  25. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I'm with you on this.

I was working in New Mexico when the Chargers beat the Steelers. At Indy to go to the AFCCG. The Jets loss,the Miami win.

I'm looking forward to the most memorable season yet, 2009! :icon_party:

• Like Like x 1
  26. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    :icon_toast: :icon_toast: :icon_toast:

27. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,773
    when we take home the Lombardi I will be satisfied with my Bolt's. I will always love them win or lose, they are my TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,703
    my top 4:

1994 - b/c going 8-0 to start the season and then the super bowl was awesome but more than anything i will never ever forget that night at the murph when we welcomed our boys home from pittsburgh. When we get our lombardi (or even world series title) there will be no rioting in SD - Just one big *** party where everyone is your bff.

2006 - b/c the whole season felt so "magic" + LT's record breaking marathon "Charger fans are witnesses to history!" still makes me tear up - that was a special special day. Obviously, the Pats game kinda puts a damper on the whole thing tho... I had only been dating mr. syd for about 6mos at the time and was watching the game at his place - cried like a stupid baby I did :lol: very smooth~

2007 - b/c of the indy playoff game. the season itself was memorable, even if after 2006 it was hard to live up to the hype at the time. but that indy playoff game was special - to this day Volek is a four letter word in that town - me gusta~

2008 - b/c they overcame so much adversity and NEVER quit, even when it looked real bad. Sure, we needed other teams to stumble but those guys never gave up and it paid off. Sproles TD in OT at the Q, I can;t imagine how it must have been to see it live but it was still pretty awesome from home :yes:

29. clontarf_bolt

clontarf_bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Gotta go with this season cuz I got to go to the game in London as well as the home games against the donks and colts :bolt:

30. clontarf_bolt

clontarf_bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +40
    my hands and arms were red raw from getting high fives from everybody around me :D it was unbelievable